It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• 4 weeks;fusion..very happy..ALMOST SCARE

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-13-2005, 09:02 PM   #46
    lfoster21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lfoster21 HB User
    Wink Re: 4 weeks;fusion..very happy..ALMOST SCARE

Hello Carol and welcome to the board. It is nice to hear that you are healing well. Continue to take it slow and keep us posted on your progress.

Katinthebag83, I know you are probably getting anxious about the surgery...at least I was the week before my surgery). I will keep you in my prayers.

Lorie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2005, 03:23 AM   #47
    Susiebird
    (female)

Susiebird HB User
    Re: 4 weeks;fusion..very happy..ALMOST SCARE

Hi all...
    Got a decent nights sleep - only up one time between 11 - 5 . I'm backing off on the lortab so I think that's why. Has anyone used heat for muscle aches? When I lay around, I get these really deep pains in my butt only relieved by taking meds but the relief only lasts 2 hours at most...I got out the microwave heating pad (filled with corn???) and that seems to help (plus it's very comforting since it's below ZERO this morning here in PA!). I did another 3/4 mile on the treadmill yesterday but got a stabbing pain my left cheek (used to get them quite a bit before surgery) so maybe that means I'm doing too much? I'll back off a bit on the distance today. I've had problems keeping my toes warm for a while, but they have been nice and toasty the last 2 days. The places where the bandage was taped are still itchy and red but I guess that's a minor complaint considering! Okie, I would LOVE 70 degrees right now ~sigh~. Kat, keep the positive thoughts going...take care all..

Old 12-14-2005, 04:41 AM   #48
    confusedpatient
    (female)

confusedpatient HB User

Susiebird, I was reading an earlier post of yours and had to laugh. I had my surgery in October, long before deer season just so my husband wouldn't be a bear. My two prior surgeries were during deer season 2003, 2004. Priorities!!

It's 15 here in sunny Ohio-ha! I can't wait for this next storm to hit-get the pain meds ready. Doc says my lifting and bending restrictions are lifted and I'm ok to take ibuprofen. I think it's odd he doesn't need to see me again though. I just assumed he would follow me for a while. Guess everything looks good. Just got a treadmill yesterday, finally convinced my hubby it is a worthwhile investment. My surgeon told me the first thing I should buy is a walking stick, I rehurniated the first time from hiking. Stay warm everyone!

Old 12-14-2005, 06:30 AM   #49
    okie46
    (female)

okie46 HB User

Good Morning to all,
    Well my day again was not too bad, although the charlie horse that woke me up from dead sleep liked to have done me in yesterday. I walked 3 different times, beautifule weather, no wind, 70 + degrees, but still hurt, used Ben Gay, my friend, and Icy Hot sleeve, my LPN daughter said to use heating pad then ice, said when it was that bad it was like a pulled muscle, must be true as today almost hit the floor when I got out of bed, still pretty bad today. Can't believe how bad it still hurts.
    SUSIEBIRD: Good morning and yes I love my weather, Had the house opened up 3 days in a row, with not wind, it smells so good, BUT remember me when summer gets here and it 115 or YES even 125 to 130 degrees, but I DON'T have to shovel 115. About your pain , mine got bad as you probably read earlier and had to have a shot in the area, middle of butt, sciatic nerve pain, but I had tried heating pad and ice pack(mine is frozen peas) but it didn't help, but was told to alternate (always) BETWEEN THE TWO to help it. And pay attention to toes, mine were numb for awhile but are fine now after almost 8 weeks.
    CONFUSEDPATIENT: Hi there, just so you know My surgery was Oct 18th and my Dr. said he would see me again in April and I could do all those things but to still be careful and no back to work yet, as it takes time to heal with fusion and he doesn't believe in phy. therapy, it messes up everything according to him. Welcome, always good to hear from others.

KAT: You laugh at push up bra, but believe me that will kill you soon, my boobs hurt so bad, then the anterior incision got to hurting as well, but only sitting up, that's why you stay in bed so much, but no brace in bed whether sleeping or resting as well as not in shower, but I couldn't shower for 10 days until seeing Dr. then a well needed shower WITHOUT BRACE, a tip though, I put brace on to shave legs without water on in shower then threw it out the shower to finish up, but that was a few weeks after surgery, you'll know when to do that. We'll be thinking of you and praying as well.

Good morning to Lorie as well,

Everyone have a good day and talk to you tomorrow everyone stay warm and try to be as pain free as possible.

Okie46

Old 12-15-2005, 08:28 AM   #50
    okie46
    (female)

okie46 HB User

Good Morning all,
    Having a better day today, not as much pain from the charlie horse today, it still hurts but not as bad. I've not had a pain pill for almost 24 hours, so know I'm feeling better all over. I'm more comfortable about doing things without brace, not doing any va****** yet, but almost everything else. Another beautiful day in the desert yesterday, I do love it here, makes walks very easy and must go on one now, hope everyone has a great pain free day, if possible. TALK TO YOU TOMORROW

Okie46

Old 12-15-2005, 12:47 PM   #51
    Susiebird
    (female)

Susiebird HB User

Pretty good day for me today but the incision is sore. What can I put on the scabs to soften them up? Or isn't that a good idea? The skelaxin (muscle relaxer) I'm taking now doesn't seem to do anything so I decided to take 1/2 of a 750 mg robaxin (prescribed pre-surgery). A whole one always gave me a hangover headache but 1/2 seems to give me some relief without the headache. Today I've only taken XS tylenol for pain. Got a full mile on the treadmill in; I bump the speed down when I feel it's too much.
    Carol - I felt bad about scheduling the surgery during hunting season, but I had to wait so long and was so anxious to get it done and over with; hubby was understanding as he had the same surgery (minus the cages) 5 years ago...plus quite possibly, I was the bigger bear....
    Supposed to get another snow/sleet/ice storm in PA today. Ahh I dream of balmy desert breezes.....
    Kat, hang in there it'll soon be over!
    Hi to Lorie too!

Old 12-16-2005, 05:49 AM   #52
    okie46
    (female)

okie46 HB User

Good Morning All,
    Sounds like you are really getting there Susiebird, it's strange how different meds affect different people, of course I've been on so many with 2 surgeries within 6 months of each other, I'm to used to too many drugs, I take Robaxin during the day and Soma at night, but only as needed,for 3 days haven't needed either one, but today already have taken a robaxin. I don't know how many miles I walk just have a vague idea but know it's not a full mile yet, without brace. so you are doing good, I assume you still have brace. I'm just guessing but maybe the age old Vasaline would soften up scabs, but seems like I've always heard they will fall off when wound is healed, so maybe leave them alone would be best
    I do feel worse today, my neck is hurting and back is aching, but it's colder today, it's 7am and 38 degrees, it will warm up to about 50 or 60, but I sure can tell difference when colder
    Hope everyone out there has a good day, talk to you tomorrow, try to stay warm and feeling good

Okie46

Old 12-17-2005, 02:47 AM   #53
    Susiebird
    (female)

Susiebird HB User

Good morning all - slept in til 5 this morning and only got up once in the night - another bonus of the robaxin; although I did wake up with a bilateral, deep ache in my lower back/into my butt cheek; it gets better after I'm up and around. I shaved my legs yesterday (at least got the top layer off ) ) and could feel some numbness in my outer calves. In the last 24 hours I've taken 3 lortabs, I oxycodone, and 2 robaxin (1/2 a pill, 4 x's) and 9 xs tylenol. I'm walking 1 mile each day on the treadmill - takes me about 25 minutes - so hopefully I'm not over-doing it. Yesterday I had a sore throat and felt depressed (I think that might be the robaxin) and also getting some major cabin fever - time to make a trip to town! Everyone have a good weekend!

Old 12-17-2005, 07:58 AM   #54
    okie46
    (female)

okie46 HB User

Good Morning all,
    I'm better today although it's cold again this morning, about 34 , but it did make it to my wonderful 70, finally yesterday and was great, as no wind involved. I think Susiebird, that you will just have some days that are not good, like both of us yesterday. You are at the time that I had my first bad day, you go along so good and then BAM there's a bad day, I've been great but yesterday was 1 robaxin, 3 percocet, then soma AND neurotin at bedtime so I do believe we just have some bad days and yes cabin fever has a lot to do with it. On top of me not feeling good, hubby took day off and what BEAR he was, so that doesn't help, he's usually in good mood, but not yesterday and me feeling bad didn't help, so glad there's a new day today.
    Have a good weekend all talk to you tomorrow.

Okie46

Old 12-19-2005, 01:05 PM   #55
    Susiebird
    (female)

Susiebird HB User

Hi all, hope you're having a good day! I didn't feel like doing the treadmill at all yesterday but forced myself to put in 3/4 mile. I stayed up when I got done (rather than lay down with ice and heat), and was amazed at how good I felt after an hour. I've decided the lortab and oxy aren't doing anything for my pain (still deep ache in my lower back, hips, feet, and numbness in my outer thigh and calf - is this nerve pain?) so I'm taking 1/2 robaxin with a XS tylenol - I slept 10 hours last night! Today I got out the personal CD player with the ear buds (anti-skip and you can use while jogging) and it made the treadmill so much easier - got a mile in and could have done more (but stopped myself). I'm starting to get some pains in my neck and shoulder - makes me nervous since I got them when I started having lower back probs but haven't had any since surgery. I read a post that mentioned B-complex vitamins - has anyone tried this? I got some the other day - B1, B2, niacin, B6, folic acid and B12 combo. Figured it was worth a shot...Cold day here in PA - 20 degrees - but we've got a nice snow cover that's supposed to last for a few days..
    Hey Kat how are you doing? It'll be over soon and you'll start the New Year on a positive note! Take care all

Old 12-19-2005, 01:29 PM   #56
    Katinthebag81
    (female)

Katinthebag81 HB User

Hi everyone,

Susiebird, if I slept 10 hours straight I wouldn't know how to act!! I only get about 4-5 hours in a row these days... Thinking about the B complex vitamins - I was taking a supplement that had a lot of vit E in it, (Estroven-Wal mart brand), so I had to quit taking it a week before surgery. It also had high doses of B-6, B12 & niacin, thiamin & folate - now that I think about it, i'm hurting worse since I'm not taking it. Wonder if it was helping? for the last few days i've been way worse pain-wise. Spent nearly all day Saturday in bed, taking pain meds.

Well, not looking forward to surgery, but only to the feeling better part...I'm glad you all are posting about the not so good days, too. Gives me a more realistic picture of what I may be in for.

I hope all your days are good ones. Everyone have happy holidays & if I don't post before going to hospital, I'll look you guys up when I get back online, if only long enough to say "I made it!!!"

Kat

Old 12-19-2005, 03:09 PM   #57
    okie46
    (female)

okie46 HB User

GOOD AFTERNOON ALL,
    I slept in myself, 9 hours, unheard of for me, didn't even get up to pee, so I was really out. I also had 2 bad days with muscle spasms and just HURT around front incision, like you Susiebird, made myself walk although didn't want to but did anyway. Kat you do just have bad days, part of healing I guess. Susiebird, your pain does really sound like nerve pain, mine was sciatic,middle of rt. butt, and outside of calf and especially feet It took 2 to 3 weeks before neurontin started working and I'm still taking it. I also was reading threads about B 1 and B complex, I just bought them 2 days ago at walmart, B 1 IS WALMART brand, but B complex was Nature Made as Walmart brand didn't say COMPLEX., so will try it to see what happens but the threads made it sound like something to try, I have a cousin that had surgery in Aug. and has been back twice for ESI injections, so think the vitamins are a better choice to try, anything but those again, I really don't hurt on my worse day to have that done again. KAT believe me surgery is worth it, it was the VERY best choice for me, we'll pray for you and wait for your post
    Beautiful here for 2 days, no wind 30's at night and 70's in day, perfect to be outside and was as much as possible even though didn't feel that good, probably be bad weather tomorrow as wind has really picked up and I'll probably feel great when it's gets bad. Have a good rest of the day all, be thinking of you

Okie46

Old 12-20-2005, 11:31 AM   #58
    confusedpatient
    (female)

confusedpatient HB User

Hi all, was having a rough couple of days. So bad that I took some dilantin, similar to Neurontin, along with percocet & ibuprofen. Last night I got in bed & felt a pop in my hip area & today is much better, so I guess something was out of place. Whew! I really don't want to go the anti-seizure meds route if I can help it. They kill my sex-drive (LOL) and I can't remember anything. I will try the b's though.I was told that your immune system really suffers after surgery so it couldn't hurt. Here were going to have a heatwave here by the end of the week-mid to upper 30's! It was 2 this morning. Take care.
    Carol W.

Old 12-20-2005, 02:33 PM   #59
    okie46
    (female)

okie46 HB User

Hi Everyone,
    I've had a very good day, done a lot of housework with only a belt type brace and feel pretty good. Took 2 very long walks as it's about 76 degrees today was a little windy this morning but not now.
    CAROL, maybe you just need enough muscles relaxed that it went back into place. Muscle relaxer's make me feel better than anything, but can only at night, but seems as if I feel much better in mornings after taking. This is only 3rd day on the B's, will keep all informed. As far as neurontin, I'm going to keep taking them while off work and when I know I won't be driving as they seem to do me so much good, I don't have so many muscle spasms on it and don't take as many pain pills either.
    KAT, I you are still reading, we'll be thinking of you and waiting on your post.
    SUSIEBIRD, Know your staying busy as well, don't overdo I remember feeling too good and I paid for it later.
    Talk to you all tomorrow. Good Day

Okie46

Old 12-20-2005, 02:55 PM   #60
    Susiebird
    (female)

Susiebird HB User

I've only taken 2 XS tylenol today, plus absorbine jr for the sore spot on my cheeks! Walked 2x on the treadmill today; I got up to 3.0 today for a few laps and felt good, so of course when I got on tonite, I tried out 3.1 for a lap...My nerve pain lessens as long as I'm moving and comes back as soon as I'm still. I always push myself...will let you know if I overdid it.... I have to learn the hard way. I see my multivitamin also has 100% of all those b complex vitamins; didn't find anything about overdosing....one thing I need to check on is calcium supplements - I feel like I take so many pills it's a wonder I have any appetite! I see my Primary Care Doc tomorrow so we'll see if she puts me back on my blood pressure meds - my BP has been high (140-88) since this whole back thing has started; she put me on meds the week before surgery, but my BP was so LOW after surgery and normal while in the hospital I haven't taken them since...I'm assuming it'll be normal again as I'm MUCH calmer now...
    Hey Kat are you still with us??
    Stay warm all!

Closed Thread