It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Any one Celebrex or Mobic? Cant use IB anymore

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-02-2005, 03:37 PM   #1
    shokatsu
    (male)

shokatsu HB User
    Question Any one Celebrex or Mobic? Cant use IB anymore

I had to stop using motrin 800 do to stomache upset and since I am only 4 weeks post op on Micro D my Regular Dr - Not spine Dr - told me to try Celebrex since it does not upset stomache. Also he gave me Mobic to try if I dont want to use Celebrex. Does this stuff work as good as 800 motrin? Is it safe? ( the other drugs in same catagory were banned!) I am waiting for call back from Spine Dr as well.

Brian

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2005, 03:46 PM   #2
    proboy74
    (male)

proboy74 HB User
    Re: Any one Celebrex or Mobic? Cant use IB anymore

I used to take mobic before my fusion and it took a long time to kick in and when it did the relief didn't last as long as I would have liked it to....It did help the pain when it kicked in...never tried celebrex....

Old 12-02-2005, 05:14 PM   #3
    shokatsu
    (male)

shokatsu HB User

Spine Dr called and said tha Celebrex is good. I still want to know from others though if it works and how long it takes. Thanks for th reply on the Mobic.

Bri

Old 12-02-2005, 05:34 PM   #4
    big mama
    (female)

big mama HB User

HI i AM NOT SURE IF I AM RIGHT OR NOT BUT WASN'T THERE SOMETHING IN TH NEW ABOUT CELEBREX AND DOING DAMAGE TO THE HEARTOR CAUSING HEART ATTACK,ME MYSELF CAN'T TAKE ANY TYPE OF ANTIFALMATORY AS IT REALLY DOES A JOB ON MY STOMACH,SORRY IF I GOT THE INFRO WRONG,BUT I WOULD DOUBLE CHECK TO BE SURE,BETTER SAFE THEN SORRY

BEST OF LUCK BIG MAMA

Old 12-02-2005, 06:42 PM   #5
    davetheplantman
    (male)

davetheplantman HB User

I have used Celebrex on and off for over 2 years. For me it has been a life saver. It has worked extremelly well for my severe lower back pain. I experienced immediate relief within 1 day. My dosage was originally 200mg once per day which was moved to 400mg per day later on. I develped some GI problems later on, not sure if it was due to the celebrex alone or a combo of the many drugs I was taking. I now take it when I have severe pain as a back up and it works within a couple hours.

As far as the media, heart atacks, cox 2 inhibitors, etc, just talk to your doctor, get checked out, discuss your risk factors and don't let others scare you into believing you are going to drop dead if you take it. All drugs have risks and side effects and only you and your doctor can determine what medications are right for you. Good luck.

PS. I am 42, in good health, and took celebrex today. It works for me.

Last edited by davetheplantman; 12-02-2005 at 06:44 PM.

Old 12-02-2005, 08:13 PM   #6
    big mama
    (female)

big mama HB User

By no means was i trying to say not to use celebrex,It is certainlt up to the person weather to use it or not .I was just telling them to check it out not to not use it. Sorry if i didnt make it clear enough.

big mama

Old 12-02-2005, 08:13 PM   #7
    girl12345
    (female)

girl12345 HB User

I took celebrex for at least a year and it worked great. It started to work right away. I stopped taking it because my back was getting better and then was in a car accident and was put on Bextra (which did help) and stopped taking it due to the recall and my blood pressure was high. I was put on Mobic, but it did not work as well. I was hurting a lot more. I took that until my surgery a few months ago. I am now off of all anti-inflamitories. I will say that since I am off of them all my blood pressure has been better than it has in a long time. Be careful with whatever you take.

Old 12-02-2005, 09:08 PM   #8
    mkf
    Veteran
    (female)

mkf HB User

I remember reading something about Vioxx, then more recently about Celebrex, and risks. But, it's true they all have risks - your doctor will know best how to help you.

Old 12-02-2005, 09:27 PM   #9
    Bictwin
    (female)

Bictwin HB User

I think I have taken every athritis medication. I used bextra, vioxx, celebrex, you name it, i took it. And I'm only 20 years old. Celebrex didn't work for me, but most of the arthritis meds didn't. I used them for awhile until i was escalated to pain killers. I know bextra was pulled form the market, and i believe celebrex is controversial. But if your doctor knows your medical status he/she should know if Celebrex is right for you. GOod luck. Keep the Faith.

Ash

Old 12-02-2005, 09:48 PM   #10
    shokatsu
    (male)

shokatsu HB User

thanks all - appreciate the input. As soon as my stomach settles down I will celebrex a try. Had upper Gi done yesteray and its still feels yucky from the Barium. They found I had a Hiatal Hernia - so now I can worry about that and recovering from back surgery. yeah me.

Old 12-02-2005, 10:00 PM   #11
    davetheplantman
    (male)

davetheplantman HB User

Big Mama, My earlier post was in no way at all directed at you. I understand how people are concerned about the risks associated with this drug. People need to do their homework, not overreact, get advice from their doctors, and act accordingly. Just my 2 cents. Good luck shokastsu

Old 12-02-2005, 10:48 PM   #12
    AS300

AS300 HB User

First, my situation...I am a 24 year old male...couple of herniated discs..l45 in particular causing most of the problems...lower back pain and sciatic pain. pain is moderate most of the time...no neural deficit (numbness, loss of function, etc). So basically, I am in a position where there is some level of nerve root compression, irritation, but it's obviously not that bad since I have full function and feeling in legs, etc. That being the case, and because of my current feelings towards surgery, my approach has been to avoid surgery for now, as long as i can maintain current quality of life. I don't take meds on a regular basis, although I did for a long trip i took recently, which was where I had my experience with Mobic. I also recently had an ESI, and will have another in a month.

That being said, I recently went on an int'l trip and ask my gp for some meds and advice. she prescribed me celebrexx (but gave me mobic samples) and skelaxin. Also gave me some limited vicodin, but i never used those. I took the skelaxin and mobic as needed, and it worked great for me...i think particularly the mobic. The reason I put all that explanation up top is, I think it worked well for me because the amount of compression on the nerve root is not severe, so most of my pain is probably coming from an irritated/inflamed nerve root...which the anti-inflammatories do a good job with....and regarding the side effects....use good judgement..talk to your doctor. For me, I discussed with my doctor and we didn't feel it was a problem because (1) I am an otherwise very healthy person especially in terms of cardiac health and (2) I wasn't planning on long term use. I think everyone has to use some common sense in this area...if you are overweight, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and family history of heard diesease, and your are regularly taking some of these drugs for an extended period of time...it is a no brainer that based upon the recent findings, you are putting yourself at much greater risk for heart problems...but I think there are plenty of people for whom this can be a relatively safe treatment option.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-03-2005, 07:10 AM   #13
    caszyman
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

caszyman HB User

My daughter's doctor had her on Bextra and Celebrex. The Bextra really worked, but switched to Celebrex when the warning about mouth sores came out. For the month she was on Bextra she had sores around her mouth.

Next to Celebrex. Her dr felt it was very safe for her because she is a healthy 16 year old. She quit it herself when the warnings came out. I couldn't convince her to try it after that.

So as everyone else says discuss your risks with your dr. He/She will know best. cas

Old 12-03-2005, 08:50 AM   #14
    xinerevelle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

xinerevelle HB User

I was on Celebrex for a while, then my doctor switched me to Bextra. I really liked that and could mostly lead a normal life while on it. Then, when all the hoopla started last year I asked my family doc about it and he said that since I was healthy I was fine to continue with it.

Then I herniated a second disk and went to see an Ortho. Asked him about the Bextra, same deal. OK to take since I'm healthy. Then they pulled Bextra off the market so my family doc gave me Relafen. Two big honkin' 500 mg pills twice a day vs. one tiny 15 mg Bextra once a day -- yuck! Plus, it didn't work as well for me. My ortho then switched me to Mobic, which I've been on for about 11 months now. One small pill a day -- but it does take several days to kick in, and shouldn't be taken if you are trying to get pregnant (which we are thinking about). I stopped taking it for about 2 weeks just to test what it would be like to NOT have it (ie, was it REALLY helping or was it just psychological) and found that it was helping SOME, but not as much as the Bextra.

Darn it.

Closed Thread