It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Meds for neuropathy/radiculopathy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-12-2006, 03:09 PM   #1
    rlsmas
    Inactive
    (female)

rlsmas HB User
    Question Meds for neuropathy/radiculopathy

Hi, all ~

Has anyone been on AEDs (anti-epileptic drugs) for neuropathy/radiculopathy? I've been on several over the last few months and each time reached a point where I began to have severe gastric (stomach) pains. The meds work briefly, then have to be increased. This pattern is repeated until I near maximum dosage at which point my stomach "wigs out" on me (to quote my son). I know these drugs are known for a [B]TON[/B] of side effects, but this particular one isn't mentioned in the literature for any of them. Yet, aside from some transient sleepiness, it's the only side effect I've experienced w/ them, and it's happened w/ all 3 I've been on so far. Has anyone else had the same experience? Do we have a doc on the board who has run across this side effect w/ his patients? I'm desperate to find something that will control my radiculopathy w/o killing my stomach, so I'd appreciate whatever input anyone might have for me. (The gastric pain, BTW, is not "heartburn". It is a sharp, gnawing pain that one might experience if they were starving.) If anyone has been on something that has helped your neuropathy/radiculopathy w/o gastric side effects, I'm really [B]DESPERATE[/B] for the info!!

TIA for your help!

Midge

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2006, 05:11 PM   #2
    duttin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User
    Re: Meds for neuropathy/radiculopathy

Midge,

I have tried several anti-seizure meds and have found no luck with them.I have had allergic reactions to all of them.I suffered from stomache problems also.I now take aciphex to cure the stomache problems associated with the anti-seizure meds.Radiculopathy is a imflamatory disease of the nerve endings,I have found that taking a 1000mg asprin at night does help.I can function the next day some what.
    Toni

Old 01-12-2006, 05:36 PM   #3
    rlsmas
    Inactive
    (female)

rlsmas HB User
    Talking Re: Meds for neuropathy/radiculopathy

Hi, Toni ~

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the info on the Aciphex...will look into that. I've been on Prolisec for years for chronic gastritis, but it doesn't seem to help w/ the reaction to the AEDs. Can't take ASA; I have a genetic clotting disorder so no aspirin or ibuprofin allowed...only Aleve (until it bothers my tummy) and Tylenol (which does absolutely NOTHING - might as well flush the Tylenol & just drink the water!). I have found that the AEDs work temporarily. I just seem to build up a tolerance to them, in addition to developing the gastric problems. If I can cure the gastric problem w/ Aciphex, maybe I can find a AED that I can take in a large enough dose to help permanently.

Thanks again!

Midge

Old 01-12-2006, 05:37 PM   #4
    rlsmas
    Inactive
    (female)

rlsmas HB User
    Talking Re: Meds for neuropathy/radiculopathy

Hi, Toni ~

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the info on the Aciphex...will look into that. I've been on Prolisec for years for chronic gastritis, but it doesn't seem to help w/ the reaction to the AEDs. Can't take ASA; I have a genetic clotting disorder so no aspirin or ibuprofin allowed...only Aleve (until it bothers my tummy) and Tylenol (which does absolutely NOTHING - might as well flush the Tylenol & just drink the water!). I have found that the AEDs work temporarily. I just seem to build up a tolerance to them, in addition to developing the gastric problems. If I can cure the gastritis w/ Aciphex, maybe I can find an AED that I can take in a large enough dose to help permanently.

Thanks again!

Midge

Old 01-14-2006, 10:28 AM   #5
    jdlfmc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jdlfmc HB Userjdlfmc HB User

Hi, In the past 6+ years I have tried many anti-seizure meds to control my nerve pain .
    I began with "nureontin", all I got from that was fat and brain fog.then I tried "gabitril" didn't help, went to "keppra" and it's a wonder I didn't go to jail, I had such uncontrollable fits of rage, though it did help some with the pain, then I tried "zonegrain" that really helped but I had a terrible allergic reaction to that.
    I have a script filled for "lyrica" for a couple of months now but have been leary of starting it, though I have hear more good then bad, who knows.
    I did start "cymbalta" this pass summer and it has helped a lot with the nerve pain and with the depression I was having from all these years of dealing with CP.
    Good Luck I hope you find one that helps, I'm pretty sure I'm missing one or two others I treid but can't remember.
    Linda

Old 01-14-2006, 10:58 AM   #6
    rlsmas
    Inactive
    (female)

rlsmas HB User
    Smile Re: Meds for neuropathy/radiculopathy

Hi, Linda ~

Thanks for the info. I've been on Topamax, Zonegran & Keppra. HORRIBLE reaction to Topamax & poor results w/ all. Just started on Lyrica 75 mg. 2 days ago. It seems to be working (altho they all did at 1st) w/ the only 2 obvious side effects being malaise & some taste loss. (Will wait until after church tomorrow to take it so my snoring doesn't drown out the sermon ) The proof of effectiveness won't come until I've been on it for a while. One of the primary side effects is weight gain, & I'll live w/ the radiculopathy B4 I'll tolerate any more weight gain! One very positive thing is that it does also seem to be helping the facet pain as well as the nerve pain. I only needed 15 mg. of MS yesterday!

I don't understand why the gastric reaction is not mentioned in the literature for any of these drugs! That's the reaction that's been common to all of them for me, and now I'm hearing about others w/ the same problem. Since I only have the radiculopathy when I stand & walk, I'd rather have that than the abdominal pain I've had w/ these AEDs!!!

If I strike out w/ Lyrica, I'll keep Cymbalta in mind as an alternative since you apparently have had no reaction to it & it's helped you.

Appreciate the input...thanx again!

Midge

Old 01-14-2006, 11:34 AM   #7
    jdlfmc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jdlfmc HB Userjdlfmc HB User

Midge, so you know I didn't mention that cymbalta is also listed as a anti-depressant and for nerve pain.
    As I said it has helped me a lot.
    I hope the lyrica helps you, I'm seeing a new PM Tue. for a consult so will wait and see how that goes before starting mine.
    Linda

Old 01-14-2006, 11:56 AM   #8
    rlsmas
    Inactive
    (female)

rlsmas HB User
    Cool Re: Meds for neuropathy/radiculopathy

Linda ~

I've been on an anti-depressant for years due to a genetic neuro-chemical imbalance. I was doing fine on 1/2 the normal dose of Celexa until I went on Keppra. Suddenly I was depressed again! I'll take a med that's also an anti-depressant over one that has a side effect of causing depression any day!!! Since the literature on Lyrica says it's contraindicated for people w/ bleeding disorders & I have a genetic clotting dysfunction, I think I'm going to check w/ my neuro on Mon. about the advisability of staying on Lyrica (especially since I'm already experiencing taste loss & that was the 1st negative symptom w/ Topamax...the drug from h-e-double hockey sticks.) I'm going to check the professional info on Cymbalta & if it looks like there's nothing to prevent me from taking it, will ask my neuro to switch me on Mon.

Do you have any negative reactions to Cymbalta??? Would appreciate your input B4 switching!

Thanx!

Midge

PS. So sorry to hear about your MS. Will keep you in my prayers.

PPS. Just checked the PDR info on Cymbalta...primary side effects are weight gain & gastritis. Since I've been hospitalized 3x w/ bleeding ulcers, I guess I'd better pass on trying this one!! I'll stay w/ the Lyrica for now as long as they say it won't be a problem w/ my von Willebrand's (the bleeding disorder). Whoever said life begins at 40 hadn't gotten there yet!! That's when I started falling apart!!

Last edited by rlsmas; 01-14-2006 at 01:18 PM. Reason: additional info

Old 01-15-2006, 08:24 AM   #9
    davetheplantman
    (male)

davetheplantman HB User

I use Topamax with good results and have had some problems like you with stomache problems. I use Nexium 40 MG in the AM and 20 MG in the PM which works great, it is an improvement over prilosec.

Old 01-15-2006, 10:52 AM   #10
    rlsmas
    Inactive
    (female)

rlsmas HB User
    Cool Re: Meds for neuropathy/radiculopathy

Thanks for the tip, Dave. I've been on Prilosec for so many years, maybe it's time for a change. As far as AEDs go, Topamax did NOTHING for me, so I won't go back to that one, but am currently trying Lyrica. My biggest concern w/ this one is that the primary side effect is weight gain. Since there's something about my metabolism that causes all pain meds to make me gain weight, I don't need an AED that does the same thing! Will have to see what happens. I'm definitely going to call my PCP tomorrow about a switch from Prilosec, though.

Thanks for your advice.

Midge

Closed Thread