It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Cervical stenosis surgery or wait?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2006, 04:42 PM   #1
    blueMach
    (male)

blueMach HB User
    Cervical stenosis surgery or wait?

Hi all,

I'm a 44 yr old male and 3 years ago I was diagnosed cervical stenosis when I ruptured the disk between c5-6. The NS recommended emergency ACDF because disk was sqeezing cord. I had it done and since 2002 have been good. This past November I started getting pains in neck and back after waxing car. Did a round of steroids and muscle relaxants and it seemed to help while I was taking them.

During this time I convinced primary care physician to send me for a new MRI and last week talked to NS after also getting an EMG. EMG is positive for some nerve damage. Seems that disk between c3-c4 is slightly buldging and c4-c5 is moderately compressing cord as well as c5-c6 that has been removed. Disk between c6-c7 is mildly buldging also.

NS is recommending ACDF for disk between c4-c5 with a new two level plate and either at the same time laminectomy for the fused areas or wait until the ACDF heals then doing it. I'm getting numbness in left hand and jaw intermittantly and short of breath sometimes like diaphragm is being affected.

Should I get this done or keep riding it? Should I get both done at the same time? My Dad has had the laminectomy on back side of his neck and he says it is tougher than ACDF. I had L5 laminectomy in 1995 and it has been working since.

Sorry for the long post. Please advise.

Thanks,
    Randall

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread