It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Back Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-30-2006, 11:44 AM   #1
    dboberle
    (male)

dboberle HB User
    Back Pain

Is these problems enough to file for social security disability?
    On going back problems for 15 years.
    Am now in extreme pain.

Exam: MRI Spine LUMBAR W /O+W/ CONTRAST

L5-S1:
    metallic artifact emanates from the disk
    space, consistent with previous fusion. No disk displacement
    is present. There is mild spondylosis involving the left and
    right endplates extending into the neural foramina bilaterally
    and causing biforaminal narrowing.

L4-5:
    disk desiccation is present and a mild diffuse annular
    disk bulge. The AP stacked diameter measures 10 mm. No spinal stenosis
    is present, and the neural foramina are patent.

L3-4:
    disk desiccation is present at disk narrowing. A vacuum
    disk phenomenon is seen as a linear area of signal loss within the
    nucleus pulposos. There is a mild diffuse annular disk bulge
    indenting the epidural sac. There is no stenosis, and the
    neural foramina are patent.

L2-3:
    disk desiccation is present as well as a vacuum disk
    phenomenon. A minimal annular disk bulge is noted, which
    mildly indents the ventral subarachnoid space. No evidence of
    neural impingement. There is narrowing of the left lateral recess
    secondary to the disk bulge as well as associated left-sided
    spondylosis. There is a small vaccum disk phenomenon present.

L1-2:
    disk space narrowing is present and a vacuum disk
    phenomenon as well as a disk desiccation. There is a diffuse disk
    bulge indenting the CSF. There is no spinal stenosis or evidence
    of neural impingement.

IMPRESSION: 1. Multilevel disk degeneration with disk space
    narrowing and bulges at L1-2, L2-3, AND L3-4. No central spinal
    stenosis at any level. There is stenosis of the left lateral recess at L2-3
    due to asymmetric endplate spondylosis.
    2. Diffuse annular disk bulge at L4-5, not producing spinal stenosis.
    3. Status post interbody fusion at L5-S1. Mild bilateral foraminal
    narrowing due to endplate spondylosis but no obvious neural impingement

X-ray report:

There is a mild curvature to the upper lumbar spine convex to the right at L2.
    There is 2 mm retrolisthesis of L1 on L2 and of L2 on L3 in standing neutral position. These each reduce to 1 mm in flexion. At L1-L2 there is a increase in the retrolisthesis in extension, and there is no change at L2-L3.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2006, 05:32 PM   #2
    lfoster21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lfoster21 HB User
    Wink Re: Back Pain

I can not say whether or not it would qualify for SSDI...I would say that it cant hurt to try and that I know it can take a long time for approval (esspecially since it often takes more than one applacation (with the appeals and all that often go with being accepted). I also know that different states are different in how easy or hard they are to accept. I was accepted on my first try years ago and my brother in CA was denied even at the hearing stage (and he was worse off than I was). I also have heard that back problems are often hard to get disability for, and depending on your age..many states give people a hard time if they are younger than 50.

You may also want to check in with the "disability" board. I have found it very helpful.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Lorie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-31-2006, 06:41 AM   #3
    kaybee
    Inactive
    (female)

kaybee HB User
    Re: Back Pain

Your problems are very similar to my husband's and he has finally been approved for SSDI at 45. He was previously approved for long term disability several years ago. He started with a herniated disc, received the whole gamut of treatment, including surgery, and was denied in spite of the severe DDD and other problems like you've listed. He was denied again, even though his condition was severe enough to warrant a 4 level fusion/laminectomy/foraminotomy - that was after SSA sent him to one of their doctors and was told he couldn't work in any occupation. For some reason, SSA didn't even consider his current medical condition and based their decision on the herniated disc, ignored the retrolisthesis, cervical problems and the fact that dh needs both knees replaced. Our lawyer pointed out their 'negligence' in considering all the current medical info and dh was awarded an 'on the record decision'.

To tell you how 'iffy' they view disability based on back problems, dh is scheduled for a review in only a year in spite of the fact that he needs 3 more major surgeries.

I'm only telling you this and being so long winded because you need to know the battle you face especially when trying to prove a disability based on a severe condition of the back. No time is the right time to apply and if you can't work or are missing a lot of work because of your condition, then it makes sense to apply asap. You absolutely have to have the support of your orthopedic dr or neurosurgeon and SSA will consider current treatments, educational level, age, current type of employment, etc. If they can in any way show that you can do sedentary work, you'll be denied. Most people don't get a lawyer until after they've been denied once or twice. With your condition and the potential that it could become worse, I would think the sooner you apply, the better. That is of course if you are unable to work anymore.

Good luck! It is a tough decision but the benefits are wonderful!

Old 01-31-2006, 12:28 PM   #4
    charliecat31
    Veteran
    (female)

charliecat31 HB User
    Re: Back Pain

I have DDD in three discs and was finally placed on Perm. Total Disability with W. Comp about a year ago. I filed for SS and filed appeals and waiting on the hearing. My attorney is hopeful with the PTD from W. Comp that SS will go through but can't give any guarantees. I have Functional Capacity evals that say I can't work, Vocational Evals that say I can't work, doctor's reports, a morphine pump, etc. but because of my age (36) it makes it more difficult.

My best advice is if you are going to file, hire an attorney! Best thing I've ever done when it came to my legal battles.

Good luck with all of it. It's a long drawn out process that can drive you crazy, but hang in there!

Closed Thread