It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Lower Back Pain and my Neck

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-12-2006, 04:39 AM   #1
    Shande

Shande HB User
    Lower Back Pain and my Neck

In the early 80's I injured my lower back and as it healed my lower spine
    was pulled into a slight sidways curve. Up until now I've had endless problems with my neck. The slight curve in my lower back pulls on the muscles and my neck keeps shifting out of alignment. Until about ten years ago I was practically living in the chiropractors office but stopped because my neck refuses to stay put and I was just wasting money. I have gotten used to the pain and eventually don't notice it ...... that is until about two weeks ago when my neck shifted a bit more out of whack. I am in constant pain and have headaches. My shoulders are also sore and when I wake up in the morning, I can barely get up because of the pain.
    I don't want to go to a chiroprator because I have recently heard about and since then read a lot about the relationship between neck manipulation and strokes and this puts me off going. (My maternal grandmother suffered two strokes before she passed away). Also, I don't have a steady job so I have no medical insurance to help me pay the astronomical fees charged by the chiropractor.

Does anyone have any suggestions for some exercises that I can do that
    might help my neck go back into place on its own?
    A friend of mine is very good at giving neck and back massage and has
    helped tremendously in easing the knots and tension in my shoulders and neck
    and upper back muscles. Unfortunately I don't think that is enough to help
    shift my neck.

I would be really very grateful for all and any suggestions. I don't know how much longer I can bare this pain before I must take my chances and go to the chiropractor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2006, 09:52 AM   #2
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User
    Cool Re: Lower Back Pain and my Neck

Hi Shande! sounds like we have similar problems. I have a fusion in my neck, 3 bulgings discs in my lower back and a dx of DDD. The problem I have with chiro is that is actually weakens the muscles that are supossed to be holding everything in place. If I were you I would pay for a couple of sessions of physical therapy, and have them show you how to strengthen the area so that your natual muscle structure can hold things in alignment. Also, if you havent had an MRI of your neck, I would sure try and get one and make sure you don't need surgery. I'm sorry youre having so much pain, I have constant pain with mine, also, and am in pain management. Best of luck to you, I hoped I helped at least a little! Your Friend, Fabby

Old 02-12-2006, 10:17 AM   #3
    Shande

Shande HB User
    Re: Lower Back Pain and my Neck

Hi Fabby, Thanks for your reply.

I'm sorry to hear that you also have a lot of pain but at least now I don't feel so alone. My b/f isn't very sympathetic and tells me that I am a good actress!!! I wish that was all it was - acting.

I doubt if I will ever be able to afford an MRI but I think that your suggestion of going to physio is a good one. I never thought of that at all.
    At the moment I am sitting here tanked up on a pain killer (thank goodness for the backspace key!! ). My friend who is helping me with his healing hands of massage is doing a great job. I just wish I could wake up one morning and find that everything has clicked back into place.

Once again thanks for your suggestions.
    Take care
    Shande

Closed Thread