It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Amitriptyline

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-13-2006, 07:00 AM   #1
    Pebble Beach
    Inactive
    (male)

Pebble Beach HB User
    Amitriptyline

I went to see my pain management doctor on Friday. He gave me the following pain medications: Oxycodone 5/325 and Amitriptyline 10 mg. I was on amitriptyline before 20 mg and all it did was put me to sleep for most of the day and when I was awake I was still dragging. Anyone else ever been on amitriptyline? Did it help? Thanks for any input.

Allan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2006, 08:28 AM   #2
    JohnM61
    (male)

JohnM61 HB User
    Re: Amitriptyline

Yes, I was on it several years ago. I forget the exact dose, but remember that it was low. 25 mg at bedtime I think. It did help with the sciatica and made a great sleep aid. It did cause me to gain a lot of weight. I eventually went off it because of the weight gain. No matter how hard I tried, while I was on it I could not lose the weight and only seemed to gain more.

Old 02-13-2006, 08:52 AM   #3
    ARANGER
    Veteran
    (male)

ARANGER HB User

Hi Pebble,

Amitryptyline also know as Elavil is a tri-cyclic anti-depressant. Its a pretty old drug but seems to still be used commonly by doctors as a sleep med. It has some pretty good sedating properties to it. One of the problems as already mentioned is that it usually carries over until the next day. As the previous post mentioned, the weight is a major side effect of Amitrypyline. Did your PM prescribe this as a pain med or to help you sleep? If it is for sleeping, there are many other sleep meds out there now that do not have this carry over effect. One thing about Elavil also, is make sure you taper down with the advice of your Dr if you go off. I have heard of some people having some problems. However, its usually with higher doses like 75 mg-150 mg. Other than that, it can be an effective drug. Its just pretty old and there are other meds that are less sedating. It all depends on the reason you're taking it.

Take Care

Old 02-13-2006, 09:12 AM   #4
    Pebble Beach
    Inactive
    (male)

Pebble Beach HB User

Thanks for the responses. It was given to me for chronic pain. I was hesitant about going on it since it does cause excessive drowsiness. It it causes weight gain I question if I should be on it. The last thing I need is to put on more weight. Thanks again for the input.

Old 02-13-2006, 10:49 AM   #5
    Susiebird
    (female)

Susiebird HB User

My PCP put me on elavil 25 mg after surgery to help me sleep, but I stopped it because I felt like a zombie. I noticed a big difference in nerve pain in my toes after I stopped it (lots worse) so now I take 1/2 a tablet at bedtime. I still get some random pains and cold toes now and then but it's definitely a lot better . I haven't gained any weight at this dose (but I also walk 4+ miles a day). It might be worth a shot at the lower dose.

Old 02-14-2006, 02:17 AM   #6
    Bionicwan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bionicwan HB User

Allan

I am on it - began @ 25mg long ago am now taking 60mg @ bedtime.

This class of drug is also used for nerve pain lower doses tend to be used for anxiety and pain and of course to help with sleeping.
    ONE of the 25's would knock me out.... so of course when it was suggested that I needed a considerably higher dose to help with Fibro and spinal issues - I could not imagine functioning on that much ~
    My doc explained to me that lower doses are more sedating than higher ones .... unsure if this is true, we shall soon see.

It does help my neuropathic pain tremendously -
    and at times it is the only resemblance of relief I seem to have.

BW

Old 02-14-2006, 02:34 PM   #7
    Monty44
    (male)

Monty44 HB User

Amitriptyline did help with my nerve pain but, I couldn't get up the next day and when I did, I felt dopey all day. My docttor switched me to Nortriptyline. Same benefits without the dopey side affects. Monty.

Closed Thread