It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• how long to wait?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-02-2006, 09:58 AM   #1
    flysacessna
    (male)

flysacessna HB User
    how long to wait?

Okay... I recently had the three series of caudal epidural injections for bulging/herniated disk. The last three weeks have been absolutely miserable. Last week my Pain Man. Doc suggested a direct L4-L5 transforaminal block. I had this done tuesday the 28th and have had absolutely no relief. I'm almost unable to walk. Sleeping is a chore without waking up and taking pain meds every couple of hours. He has stated surgery might be the only option if the last injection failed. It's been two days now since the 4th injection and I have had zero relief. How long should I wait before requesting an appointment with the surgeon? Any suggestions? I hope somebody helps... I'm freaking out. Depressed. I can't help my wife with my 6 month old son. I can't play with him and hold him. Somethings got to give. Can anyone give me some advise?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2006, 10:16 AM   #2
    HurtinHouston
    (female)

HurtinHouston HB User
    Re: how long to wait?

Cessna, sorry to hear you're in so much pain. You should call your doctor's office and ask them how long they want you to wait. Take care.

Houston

Old 03-02-2006, 05:24 PM   #3
    notpain
    Inactive
    (male)

notpain HB User

You didn't mention how long you have had this problem. And keep in mind surgery doesn't always help and can make it worse. If you have MRI's there is no reason to wait, get a sugical consult and educate yourself.

Old 03-03-2006, 06:25 AM   #4
    JoeD617
    (male)

JoeD617 HB User

Cessna, I also had the same imjury as you.. the dreaded L4-L5. I'm in the construction business and my first injury was back in the early 80's. I had muscle spasms and had an xray went on pain meds and it seemed to clear up. I then reinjured it some time later and seen a surgeon who shot me up with dye and was placed on a table that stood upright and the pressure was unreal. he then did a discogram and during the discogram he hit a nerve and my leg jerked up <ouchie> that was in the 90's. He said he wouldn't operate because he said it wouldn't have helped at that time. That cleared up some and in then in 2001 I injured it again <construction is a rough trade> I had an MRI done and it shown a buldging disc a tear. I was treated with epidoral injections for the next 2 years these to say were very painful seeing how everything was swollen and they injected into the epidoral space putting more pressure on the sciatc nerve. I had them every 6 to 8 weeks and at the very end I'd say the last 3 or so they stopped working and I could no longer stand the pain. I put if off as long as I could, I had the surgery in dec of 2003 and it reherniated within a week or so. I had another MRI on January 8th <my birthday> and was back in having the surgery the next day. I wish I had it done long beforeit got this bad. It's been 2 years since the last surgery. After the surgery I had a deep pain in my right buttock, went to the pain clinic and they gave me shots to relax it, That helped for a short time.Last week I was getting out of bed and wound up on the floor in pain for 45 minutes. I was alone the wife was working and I couldn't reach the phone., needles to say the cats were no help for me. I had another MRI last week and everything looks fine except the pain in my buttock was worse, I now have the pain in the calf and around the ankle. I am fine laying down but when I get up I can't put any weight on my right leg and I yell out in pain wich wakes up my wife usually around 2am when I have to make that trip to the bathroom. My Doc placed me on vicodine and valium neither seem to do the trick for me. I am seeing a chiropractor until my appointment the 23 of march. He said it's a pinched nerve because when I am laying down it's fine but once my weight is on it the spine compresses and pinches the nerve. I thought I was over this after 2 years of healing <I had a discetomy> I have the pain in my lower back that triggers the piriformis muscle causing that to spasm. Who knows what's going to happen. I don't want surgery but if needed I'll try it again to rid me of the pain. My advice is see the surgeon and listen to them, get a 2nd opinion also. If you need the surgery get it done and over with and don't do what I did <prolonging it> It cause me to have alot of scar tissue due to the injections, the reinjury, the tearing of the disc.
    Good luck,
    Joe

Closed Thread