It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Back pain and weather changes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-15-2006, 07:39 AM   #1
    Laur77
    Veteran
    (female)

Laur77 HB User
    Back pain and weather changes

Hi, I am new to this board, so sorry if there is already a thread like this out there. I have had chronic back pain (muscle related) for about 5 years now. Most of the time I manage to keep it in check with stretches, massage, baths, etc. However, when the weather starts going wacky (ie..cold to warm to cold) there is nothing I can do to help it. Except take medication, which I can't do right now as I am breastfeeding. I feel like I want to lay down and cry. I feel even more miserable than usual, as it causes me such pain and discomfort to pick up my baby, play with him, or help him walk around, etc. So I think the emotional pain of that is getting me down even more.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do during these times. I'm glad spring is coming, but hard to get through this transition. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2006, 09:03 AM   #2
    can'tdance
    (female)

can'tdance HB User
    Re: Back pain and weather changes

My condition plummets from January through March. I keep telling myself it's psychological, but I just don't think it can be. Something about the cold and damp weather seems to do a number on me. I've been told that it shortens muscles and that it's common for people with neuromuscular issues to have weather-related problems.

Hope you feel better soon. Beware the ides of March, I guess...

Old 03-16-2006, 02:45 PM   #3
    tommyk0909
    (male)

tommyk0909 HB User

I Think It Has To Do With The Humidity Also. When The Pressure(atmospheric) Changes, Your Muscle Tend To Tighten Up. Try Muscle Relaxant(one That You Apply To The Skin) Or Heated Pads. Basically, You Want To Stretch And Strengthen Your Abdominal And Your Hip Muscle So It Will Support Your Back Like It Used To When You Were Younger. If You Are Out Of Shape, Try Losing A Few Pounds By Doing Light Exercises Like Speed Walking.. I Know That You Are Breast Feeding But You Should Keep Moving And Shed Those Extra Weight That You Gained From The Pregnancy. Also, When Lifting Your Baby, Use Your Arms And Legs, Not Your Back..
    Good Luck..

Old 03-16-2006, 06:03 PM   #4
    kt41577
    (female)

kt41577 HB User

I hate being a weatherman!! I used to joke and ask my mom, who has severe arthritis if it was going to rain, she has a good sense of humor, and she could tell 3 days before it was going to rain. now that I had my surgery I can tell when the weather changes!! so now she asks me! my husband also had some surgeries and in the morning it's horrible, we both can barely move, and were only 30! I can't imagine what it will be like when I'm older!
    anyways- I don't like taking medication because of the way it makes me feel, so I take a hot shower, and I have some muscle rubs that I use. you might want to try those new icy/hot patches they have that you can insert in a "brace" and put on your back. you should also try to get a massage every now and then, it really helps me relieve my back pain, and all my other "stresses"
    also try to play with your baby at your level instead of you crawling around the floor, when I watched my little cousin and he wanted to walk around I used 2 tube socks and he held on to the bottoms and I the tops and we walked around in the house, so it was stable for him, but not killing my back, and if he fell I was right behind him and he was fine!! I don't know if your baby is old enough for that yet!!
    hopefully that helps, and just keep thinking warmer weather ahead!! talk about a tease- I live in Buffalo, and on monday it was 65, on Tuesday I was using a snow brush to get all the snow off my car! now that's sad!

Old 03-16-2006, 06:38 PM   #5
    madhatter
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

madhatter HB User

I thought peaple were crazy when they told me about the weather thing and there back-Until i got a back injury myself.I live in ny. state,so i can't wait until the warm weather gets here.I currently take 80 mg of oxycotin tid.But when the weather warms up,i get lowered to 60 mg,and this has been going on for the last 3 yrs .Plus i do all the other things-hot baths,showers, cold packs,light excersise. I'm a smoker,last yr i stopped for the winter,and it did help a lot with my pain level being lower,but i started back up,I wish i knew what to tell ya,but i can tell ya your not alone.

Old 03-20-2006, 12:11 PM   #6
    Laur77
    Veteran
    (female)

Laur77 HB User

Thanks everyone...just knowing there are others out there help a great deal

Old 03-20-2006, 01:34 PM   #7
    avglenn
    (male)

avglenn HB User

I use my spa often, and heat pads at night, ice packs in the summer time, and last suggestion would be to try biofreeze, its like a gel, that smells like ben gay, but it works ! GL

Old 03-20-2006, 08:32 PM   #8
    mel1977
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel1977 HB User

Hi-I wish I had the magical answer. All I can say is that I understand. I have had a two level fusion-and right now have some tight muscles and sciatica. Tonight, actually, the last twenty four hours have sucked with the weather being so cruddy. I make it through by being on my heating pad-I try to lie back instead of sitting up. I know you have a baby, and I can't even imagine how much more that stresses you-one more reason I am not sure I should have any children. I get acupuncture once a week and massage once a week(I am lucky that my mil is paying for it). I think it is helping and if you can manage to get just a little bit done it may help. I still could use a massage daily but that just isn't going to happen. I do have neck/trap issues too, so when you add those into the mix I am a mess from the top of my head to my knees/feet. It sucks.
    Anyway, I hope you are able to feel better soon. When you can take breaks from the baby, lie down on heat or ice. Give those back muscles a rest.
    I am hoping to move from MO to AZ or NM-somewhere warm and dry. I was much better in NV than I have ever been here in MO. I also have Fibromyalgia syndrome (chronic fatigue/pain). I better not say too much more or I'll be writing you a book!

Old 03-21-2006, 05:41 PM   #9
    Mary Anne9998
    Veteran
    (female)

Mary Anne9998 HB User

Yes I agree with all of you. December thru March are my worst. I have already used part of my vacation days and all of my sick days as I earn them simply because some days I can hardly move. I felt so bad in January not only with my back, but had foot and shoulder problems, that I ask for my disability packet. I haven't used it yet, but it is still a strong possibly because December is rolling around again all too soon. Jacuzzi baths and moist heat and Vicodin keeps me going. It has been warm here for weeks and I felt great and now it is snowing and in the teens and I am right back where I was months ago. Sometimes I don't know how I keep going, I just do. Not depressed, just a way of life anymore.

Old 03-22-2006, 04:39 AM   #10
    JohnM61
    (male)

JohnM61 HB User

I guess I will be the odd man out here. For me the worst days are the beautiful high barometric pressure days. You know them. No clouds, wall to wall blue sky. And a lot of pain.

Old 03-22-2006, 08:03 AM   #11
    onyxgates
    Veteran
    (female)

onyxgates HB User

I too have a small baby (well not that small 27 lbs.) and just loves for Mommy to lift him any chance he gets. I found that using the Thermacare packs really help me on the bad days. By the way, check with your doctor but I think you could take an occasional pain med. When I was sent home after my delivery, I was given vicoden and was able to take them while breastfeeding. They say only a small amount gets transfered to the baby and it usually just makes the baby sleep longer/better. I know that I wouldn't want to use it everyday but an occasional one when it really gets bad wouldn't be too bad. Or you could try and stockpile your breast milk (pump and freeze) and then on the bad days you could use your frozen milk and pump and dump the milk after you take pain meds. Just a few suggestions. Hope they help

Old 03-22-2006, 04:57 PM   #12
    Mary Anne9998
    Veteran
    (female)

Mary Anne9998 HB User

[QUOTE=JohnM61]I guess I will be the odd man out here. For me the worst days are the beautiful high barometric pressure days. You know them. No clouds, wall to wall blue sky. And a lot of pain.[/QUOTE]
    Sometimes I have bad days on beautiful days. It kills me to sit and watch my husband doing things around the yard and I just sit. So I sometimes sit and daydream of what I would do if I could.

Old 03-23-2006, 05:02 PM   #13
    Love2cook
    (female)

Love2cook HB User

I often find that when it's cold my back hurts worse. We have a lot of cold, windy weather here in NE Indiana. I love the Thermacare heat wraps during the day when I'm busy running and my heating pad in the evening while I'm resting. Helps a ton.

My dr's ofc said that many people find that cold weather makes their sypmtoms worse. So I knew when I called to ask them, that I wasn't crazy. The nurse did say that the first year or two after surgery is harder but it should get better after that.

Good luck!
    Elaine

Closed Thread