It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Long term effects of Pain killers

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-24-2006, 09:23 PM   #1
    Bictwin
    (female)

Bictwin HB User
    Long term effects of Pain killers

Hi guys, Ashley here again. Just as a reminder, I am 20 years old (21 on April 3rd) and I am 5 months post-op T10-L1 spinal fusion. But even after the fusion I'm having a lot of pain in my lower back (around L1-L5) so I'm still taking pain meds. Okay so the only long term effects of dilaudid that I can find is possible addiction, which most of us have been over. For those of us that have pain management and are on pain killers, we are addicted, not because we abuse it but because we actually NEED that to get through each day. But I was on vicodin for a little over a year, morphine for a few months, Percocet for 3 months and now I have been on dilaudid for almost 2 years. Does anyone have any idea if there are long term effects on internal organs such as the liver or kidneys? I know with the vicodin, its normally cut with aceteminophen so you have to be careful of liver damage, but is there anyone that knows of any effects on organs from dilaudid? I'm going to ask my pain management doctor to approve me to get a full blood panel to make sure there is nothing wrong with my internal organs. (Just in case, I mean I've been on so many meds for so long I just want to be safe) But I want to know if there is anything specific I should be careful of. Thanks so much guys!

Ashley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2006, 03:41 AM   #2
    etIII
    (male)

etIII HB User
    Re: Long term effects of Pain killers

Hello Ashley!
    I checked the PDR (Physician's Desk Reference), and it didn't mention what it could cause anything in the long-run. Actually, no one being should ever be forced to stay on opiates for extended periods such as yours. My Neuro had me up to 180mg/ day on morphine for several months. I got tired of being out of it. I used to do these drugs for the fun of it. It stops being fun when you have to rely on them. The PDR says that caution should be used if you have "severe liver or kidney disorder, hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid gland), Addison's disease (adrenal gland failure), an enlarged prostrate, a urethral stricture (narrowing of the urethra), or a head injury."
    Could I ask if you have tried to limit the hardcore or slow off that strong stuff? Of course, I'm not pain free either, it's just that my pain was still there even if I took more than prescribed.
    Yes, the sooner the better on the Full Blood work-up! Your Dr. should have done that before he gave you an aspirin. Of the cautions listed above, I've got all except the head injury...I think?! There are some other good spots on the web to get this type of info too. Wish you luck!
    Ed

Old 03-25-2006, 02:42 PM   #3
    Bictwin
    (female)

Bictwin HB User
    Re: Long term effects of Pain killers

I have tried to come off the harder stuff, they actually waited as long as possible to put me on the pain killers. I'm barely getting any relief from these, so the doctor doesn't want to take me off them to put me on something that wont work at all. Besides I've tried most of the others and they didn't work the first time. I hate being on these so much, but it does take the edge off at least...ya know? Thanks for the info.

Ashley

Closed Thread