It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Radiofrequency lesioning

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-19-2006, 03:38 PM   #1
    leebar
    (female)

leebar HB User
    Radiofrequency lesioning

I am schedualed for this in May. Anybody ever have this? Was it PAINFUL? How well did it work? --It sounds like they are just wanting to band-aid the situation.
    Thanks for your help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2006, 04:51 PM   #2
    mmusilli
    (male)

mmusilli HB User
    Re: Radiofrequency lesioning

My pain dr wanted to do this but I refused. He wanted to do a facet joint RF lesioning. I am glad I said no, because my MRI showed that herniated disk was the problem.. Anyway, I understand that it is a routine procedure and should not be too painful, as they should administer local anesthesia.. Dr told me that the nerve will regenerate itself in 8 months, so I felt that risk was low, since the nerve would grow back.... But I guess it depends on the nerve... Ask your doctor... The thing I didnt like about this is that if you kill the nerve, then how do you know that you might not be causing more damage if you dont feel pain? I guess it depends on where he is doing it..

Maurice

Old 04-19-2006, 08:00 PM   #3
    carol632
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carol632 HB User

I have had this done twice because of painful SI joints. Both times it was very successful. You are given a small amt of a drug to make you calm and to quiet the painfulness. It isn't bad at all and I had no pain during the procedure or afterwards; though my doctor warned me that some people do experience increased pain for a few days. I am scheduled next month to have more denervation at other levels.

Has you dr done a test block to see if this denervation is going to work? I would not have it done unless the test was done first with positive results. If this works well, you can get relief up to a year or even longer. May I ask why they told you that you need this? What is your diagnosis?

I wish you lots of luck.

Carol
    morphine pump

Old 04-20-2006, 06:27 AM   #4
    onyxgates
    Veteran
    (female)

onyxgates HB User

I too just had this done. Actually I had my left side done in January and my right side done this past Monday. I have been diagnosed with Facet Joint Syndrome. I felt great Monday and Tuesday but am pretty sore now. I am hoping to feel better soon. They say it takes about 2-3 weeks before you see any real improvements. The procedure was quick and a little painful but they give you versed so you don't remember how bad. You should have the test shots before just to make sure it will work. I wish for you the best of luck and I will keep you posted on how I am feeling.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:28 AM   #5
    leebar
    (female)

leebar HB User

Thank you Onyxgates. I hope you feel better soon and thank you for saying you will keep me updated on your progress.

Old 04-21-2006, 12:58 PM   #6
    kera4
    Veteran
    (female)

kera4 HB User

I had this done in October on both sides L-3, L-4. L-5 facet joints. It really did help. They gave me fentanel during the procedure and I did not feel much pain. Now I am starting to feel them wearing off, so I probably will need to have them redone in the next few months. My doctor said 8 months is the average (I guess I'm a fast nerve grower). Having this procedure increased my sitting time from 30 minutes to 2 hours. I noticed that when I did too much, the muscles would start to hurt, and that stopped me from overdoing. Good luck! Kera

Old 04-21-2006, 01:32 PM   #7
    onyxgates
    Veteran
    (female)

onyxgates HB User

Kera4: Hi, did your pain go away completely? How long after the RFA did it take before you felt better? I am 5 days post and still hurt like crazy? Please let me know.

Old 04-21-2006, 01:46 PM   #8
    carol632
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carol632 HB User

I have always gotten immediate relief; however, my pm says that most people have increased pain levels up to 2 weeks following the procedure.

Hope this helps.

Carol
    morphine pump

Old 04-21-2006, 03:53 PM   #9
    kera4
    Veteran
    (female)

kera4 HB User

Dear Onyxgates and everyone, I did not feel relief until a couple of weeks after the procedure. I think it took a full month before I felt maximum relief. It was worth it though, because I could sit and stand longer. Not feeling that burning pain was great! The thing that took adjusting to was not pushing it too much. If I did, all my muscles would start hurting at once. Hang in there and keep icing-you will feel the relief soon. Take care, Kera4

Old 04-22-2006, 11:30 PM   #10
    visions
    Inactive

visions HB User

I just had Radiofrequency ablation of the Left and Right SI joints, two weeks apart. I have a double fusion of the L4-S1 and pain in the SI joints down the line after this kind of fusion is common. The lower spine doesn't bend/give anymore so the SI joints take all the pressure.

I had immediate relief after both sides were done and the procedure itself was painless. Unfortunetly, in this case, the nerves can grow back and so the procedure may have to be repeated in the future if the pain returns.

Old 04-23-2006, 05:03 AM   #11
    Sage48
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User

Hi everyone,

I have been reading the posts to the RF...have a question....if they burn the nerves, does it cause numbness in the nerve areas? Does the area served by the nerve go numb?

Old 04-23-2006, 09:49 AM   #12
    kera4
    Veteran
    (female)

kera4 HB User

Hi! I do not feel numbness-for a while after the procedure there was a feeling of heaviness in the area of where the nerves were burned. But, now there is just less pain coming from the joints. I asked my Physiatrist who did the procedure, "How will I know if I am overdoing it?" He said, " The muscles will let you know." This has proved to be true. I can do a lot more now, but not as much as before I ever had back problems. Anyway, that has been my experience. Kera4

Old 04-23-2006, 10:22 AM   #13
    mmusilli
    (male)

mmusilli HB User

Hi... It depends on what nerves they kill... If they kill facet nerves, since they dont service much more than facets and some small local muscles, you may not notice much numbness... But my doctor told me that if we ever decide to kill my "T12-T11" nerve root, I will feel some numbness accross that section of my back around rib cage on my left side...

Maurice

Old 04-23-2006, 12:43 PM   #14
    Sage48
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User

Thak you for telling me about the numbness....I think that if my back problem can't be solved by the neurosurgeon, my pain mgmt. Dr. had said something about the facet joints....I was afraid that my leg would be numb if they burned the nerves. Understand it a bit better now.

Old 04-23-2006, 12:55 PM   #15
    mmusilli
    (male)

mmusilli HB User

No problem.. My pain dr actually told me that the facet nerves do regenerate in 8 months or so, if you are not healed by then, and if your facet pain continues, they will keep performing the procedure. But before they do this procedure, they perform a test on that nerve to make sure that it is causing the problem.. If not, they will not do it since the problem is elsewhere. Ask your pain dr if he will do this test... Basically, I think what they do is that they numb out the nerve with local anesthesia and if you feel good, then they know it is this neve and then kill it.. One last thing, you most likely have arthritis in facet if this is the case (facet syndrome). Try taking Glucosamine with Condroitin plus MSM as a natural supplement that helps with OA. But you also need to be as active as possible and slowly build core strength AND keep joints lubricated and working by excercise..

Maurice

Closed Thread