It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Looking for anyone who has had same pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-27-2006, 01:40 PM   #1
    jchernyb
    (female)

jchernyb HB User
    Looking for anyone who has had same pain

I am trying to find someone on this board who has experienced the same kind of pain that I am having. It is so very hard to describe. First off, let me tell you that my MRI taken 3 years ago stated "The L5-S1 disc space is considerably narrowed with chronic endplate changes anteriorly. There is a small focal disc herniation centrally and slightly to the left. There is no displacement of the S1 root.

At L2-3 there is a fairly large focal disc herniation centrally and to the left, producing some displacement of the thecal sac and L3 root"

My pain is slightly in my lower back, but where the vast majority of my pain is is in the groin area and down both legs. It is very hard to stand up after sitting for a period of time. After I straighten myself up, then I can walk slowly. The pain in my groin area and down my legs is really severe at times.

I was scheduled for surgery 2 years ago and chickened out. But I know in my mind that the pain is getting progressively worse. I think my worse fear is that after they do surgery my pain will still be there. I cannot imagine that the problems in my back are causing this extensive pain in both of my legs.

Can anyone tell me if they have had similar pain. I have taken Vicodin but only use it sparingly as I do not want to get addicted to it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2006, 02:01 PM   #2
    jdlfmc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jdlfmc HB Userjdlfmc HB User
    Re: Looking for anyone who has had same pain

jc, Sorry to hear of your problems, I have had leg pain now for 7yrs and it is due to my back problems.
    The levels that you are having problems with are all levels that can be causing pain in your groin and legs.
    In my opinion if I was you I would be getting back in to a dr soon and before you let these problems go on to long and you have permenant damge as I now have.
    However I would only have surgery as a last resort, you didn't say if you have tried any non-invasive procedures or Pt for relief yet.
    By the way the pain in my legs is so bad now that I can't walk at times and even the strongest of meds don't take it away, I also have tingling and numbness and loss of strength, so please get ck'ed and don't wait.
    Best of Luck,
    Linda

Old 04-28-2006, 04:45 AM   #3
    carken
    (female)

carken HB User

Yes, my pain is very similar to yours. I can really identify with trying to get up and walk after being in a sitting position. In addition to the pain and stiffness in my legs, my right leg is very weak. I really don't have the groin pain, though sometimes it's in my hips.

I had fusion surgery 2 1/2 years ago, and hope I'm not facing that again. At least right now, it's not so bad that I would be ready for surgery. I've had an MRI and last week a myelogram - still waiting on results and a dr visit on May 4 for that.

I've found that ibuprofen helps with the pain/inflammation better than Vicoden.

Old 04-28-2006, 04:56 AM   #4
    jchernyb
    (female)

jchernyb HB User

I have been taking Aleve during the day for the pain. Sometimes that doesnt even help. I really need to do something in the very near future. I hate the thought of surgery since alot of the back surgery does not help and I see people having to have additional surgeries. Thanks for the info

Old 04-28-2006, 07:32 AM   #5
    mkf
    Veteran
    (female)

mkf HB User

you could do a google search on dermatome maps and it will show you what nerves in your back are affecting the pain in your legs. It may answer some of your questions - as to the progressively worse pain - you really need to get back into the doctor - you don't want this nerve damage to become permanent.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:22 AM   #6
    julesmba

julesmba HB User

Hi

I am lucky enough to have caught this problem early and I have had quite a bit of physio and now some acupuncture which have really helped. My problem does seem to be all in the back.

Please try a physio - the treatment is a bit painful, but worth it.

Good Luck

Julie

Old 04-28-2006, 11:00 AM   #7
    zoya200
    (female)

zoya200 HB User

Your pain seems slightly similar to mine. My dx is herniation of L4-L5 & L5-S1.Herniation of the disc at L5-S1 centrally and on the left. This touches the dural sac and origin of the left S-1 nerve root. I often get pain when I stand up or if im bent over for a few minutes (which is where im comfortable because my discs are herniated laterally) The pain will be so intense it can bring me to my knees. And make my legs weak. Sitting , standing, and walking are all difficult. I prefere to recline with pillows under knees. or lie on my back with pillows also. Laying on my stomach is impossible. And just to fess up openly. Im too chicken to have any back surgery. Even though I was originally told that was the only option after conservative treatment only took me so far.

Old 04-28-2006, 11:15 AM   #8
    JCblue
    (female)

JCblue HB User

Hi, I have the the pain you described after sitting for long periods of time, my doctor told me it is called the jello effect and I also have trouble standing up it really hurts to straighten my back, I also get stabbing pain that goes from my low back dowm my but into my leg. My doc said its normal for people with herniations. Sometimes I also hear cracking when I finally am able to straighten my back. I don't have pain in my groin area but I do have shooting and shocking pains dowm my left leg. I don't know if you have had an EMG test done but I would strongly recommend that you do as soon as possible. It is a test to see if you have positve signs of nerve damage. I had one done for my left leg at it was positive meaning I already have nerve damage. I have 2 herniations L4-L5 and at S1. In my MRI it looks as if it is affecting the nerves on my left side, hence the nerve damage. I have put off surgery for two years now but I am in so much pain all the time that I can't sleep and I am getting worse as a result. My lumbar discetomy is scheduled for May 15th. Good luck jchernyb I hoped this helped!

Old 04-28-2006, 11:45 AM   #9
    jchernyb
    (female)

jchernyb HB User

Thank you to all who have posted replies here. I now know that I am not alone in this world with this pain and that I am not imagining it either. Sleeping at nite is the worse. It is ok when I stretch out when I first go to bed but then around midnite the pain in my legs returns. I am a tummy sleeper so that is not good either.

I am going to try and get my nerve up to see the doctor. Vicodin is really not helping too much. I try and use it sparingly....like maybe only a few pills a week. I am going to look up some of the other medication that others are taking on this board with similar pain areas and ask my doctor if he can change medications on me.

I am still not convinced that surgery would be the best for me.

Old 04-28-2006, 02:57 PM   #10
    JoeD617
    (male)

JoeD617 HB User

Hi JC, I have the same pain and had the same pain. I know sounds confusing but I'll explain. In Dec 16th of 2003 I had a micro D for the pain in the calf and buttock it was at the L4 L5 level. I reherniated it and had the 2nd micro D Jan 9th of 2003. After that operation <because of the nerve damage> I had the pain in the buttock, calf, groin and ankle and could only take 2 steps at a time and had to sit on a chair. When in bed I had to turn onto my belly, let my legs hang off the bed and let gravity lower my legs to the floor. <if your in a rush to use the bathroom you can help the gravity> The sciatic nerve was very upset after the reherniation and the 2nd operation. I am 27 almost 28 months pre-op and still have pain from the nerve damage. I now have pain in groin, calf and ankle although the hip pain is gone. I can walk for about an hour now but pay for it later <in pain>. I also gained weight and am trying to lose it and I think this will also help reduce the pain. Oh, I didn't say but I injured my back on a construction job in 1995 and was on heavy meds and spinal injection that in the end stopped working. I did have one injection that seemed to work for a few years but as I said in the end nothing helped and surgery was the last resort. I been to the accupuncuturist, chiropractor and had therapy as well as feed back.

Good Luck,
    Joe

Old 04-28-2006, 03:03 PM   #11
    JoeD617
    (male)

JoeD617 HB User

I have a PS:

In the end we are all responsibe for our own health. If we choose to wait, that's our choice and the Dr can only do so much. In the end we have to live with our choices.

Best of luck again,
    Joe

Closed Thread