It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• "Classic Nerve" pain after having back surgery (PLIF fusion L5-S!)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-30-2006, 01:01 PM   #1
    zedek704

zedek704 HB User
    Question "Classic Nerve" pain after having back surgery (PLIF fusion L5-S!)

Hello I am new to this site, I know doctors can tell us alot of information but I figured I would rather talk to people who experience the pain.

I had two surgergies last year for my back Microdiscectomy in Feb 2006 (did not help) then had a PLIF done (spinal fusion) back in August. Back pain is alot better. A few weeks ago started to have funny feeling down my right leg. Tingling in foot and burning cold feelings. Called dr and he said it was pretty common after fusion. He said they call it classic nerve. Put me on medicine (Neurontin) to help the nerve relax.

It is quite annoying especially at night. You just want keep kicking your leg. I think it is odd that I had surgery over 8 mths ago and just now my nerve is bothering me. I am afraid that something else has happened. Dr says try medicine for 3 wks and then call.

Anybody else heard of this?

Last edited by zedek704; 04-30-2006 at 06:48 PM. Reason: update info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
    Quietcook
    Inactive
    (female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User
    Re: "Classic Nerve" pain after having back surgery (PLIF fusion L5-S!)

You may wish to speak with him and inquire if it could be restless leg syndrome instead of nerve pain, since your surgery was a good while ago. There is a different medication called Klonopin that can be taken (1 or 2 pills) just 1/2 hour before bedtime to help with RLS.

Neurontin does help a lot of people, but is an anti-seizure medication that is being used in an off-label method for nerve pain. It works for many and like other meds, cannot be tolerated by many, or can cause problems once they stop it. You could perhaps ask the doctor what the difference is and how he determined it was nerve pain versus RLS. As patients, we should want to know and need to know as much as we can, so that we can do the best for our own care.

Best wishes.

Old 05-01-2006, 07:02 AM   #3
    kaybee
    Inactive
    (female)

kaybee HB User

My husband will be 12 months post fusion surgery this week. Over the past few months he has been experiencing foot pain that is steadily getting worse and it includes swelling. His family doctor is speculating that it is probably related to the fusion. He sees his neuro on the 10th so we'll know more then.

So, guess what I'm saying is that it's possible to have residual pain as the nerves continue to recover. The neuro isn't anticipating maximum surgical benefit for dh until 18 months post op. Until November, I spose he'll continue getting quirks here and there.

Hopefully you'll find some relief soon, Zedek. Good luck!

Old 05-01-2006, 04:25 PM   #4
    zedek704

zedek704 HB User

[QUOTE=Quietcook]You may wish to speak with him and inquire if it could be restless leg syndrome instead of nerve pain, since your surgery was a good while ago. There is a different medication called Klonopin that can be taken (1 or 2 pills) just 1/2 hour before bedtime to help with RLS.

Neurontin does help a lot of people, but is an anti-seizure medication that is being used in an off-label method for nerve pain. It works for many and like other meds, cannot be tolerated by many, or can cause problems once they stop it. You could perhaps ask the doctor what the difference is and how he determined it was nerve pain versus RLS. As patients, we should want to know and need to know as much as we can, so that we can do the best for our own care.

Best wishes.[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the information.

I am glad I found this site very helpful people and information

Old 05-01-2006, 04:26 PM   #5
    zedek704

zedek704 HB User

Thanks for the information. I hope your husband get to feeling better and has good news from his dr. Let us know

Closed Thread