It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Lyrica for Nerve Pain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-15-2006, 07:34 PM   #1
    tammys
    (female)

tammys HB User
    Lyrica for Nerve Pain?

Ok.. I went to the doctor today and was prescribed Lyrica for nerve pain. Has anyone taken it and does it work? Is this going to be another Neurontin for me? I also got pain patches? Does those things help anyone? My back pain started in 2000 and had first surgery in August 2001 (diskectomy) and had second surgery in April 2002 (spinal fusion). Since then I have been put on disability and have continued Nerve pain and constant back pain. The doctor says Pain Management is all that can be done now. I have taken every available drug and have not found any that I am happy with. I don't want to sleep the rest of my life away (although if the pain doesn't stop soon, I'll opt for a spinectomy). Just wanted some input on this drug lyrica if anyone has it.

Thanks,
    Tammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2006, 10:43 PM   #2
    wt2
    (male)

wt2 HB User
    Re: Lyrica for Nerve Pain?

Tammy,

I tried Lyrica a while ago, then was on Ultracet, and now have some Lyrica again--all as breakthrough pain medicine. The first couple of times that I had Lyrica it made me a little dizzy and sleepy. After that it seemed to help more and not make me sleepy. Pain medicine is such an individual thing, with everyone having different reactions. I would suggest that Lyrica could be good for your pain but that you may have to take it for a little bit to get used to it, and probably to determine the right dosage. Have you tried Lortab? They worked the best for me, but I can't take them now with some of the other medicine I am on.

Old 05-16-2006, 05:13 AM   #3
    tammys
    (female)

tammys HB User

Wt2..Actually yesterday my doctor prescribed Lortab along with the lyrica and the pain patches and muscle relaxers. I had taken Lortab before, but try to stay away from the addictive drugs. I did take the lyrica last night at bed time and was a little "drunk" this morning. I was warned that for a few days to a week that I may experience a "morning after" affect. With all the medicines they have had me on over the years, now I am having to go to a gastrologist for stomach problems. Seems like I try to fix one thing and break another. Thanks for your input. I trust people that have taken the meds alot more than I trust what is wrote on the information packets that I get from the pharmacy. Good Luck!! and Take Care!!!

Tammy

Old 05-16-2006, 05:28 AM   #4
    Justoneofus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Justoneofus HB User

Hi Tammy,

My name is also Tammy. I had a fusion at L4-L5, 4 weeks ago today. After 2.5 weeks or so, my leg pain started to set in. They put on a medrol pak, then started me on Neurontin on a low dose of 1 30mg tab daily. By day 4, I could barely walk, with all sort of muscle problems, which were unexplained. But things were so bad, I looked and felt worse the right after the surgery. They were so concerned because I had such awful swelling from the Neurontin, they sent me for an immediate sonogram looking for blod clots. None were found thank goodness.

They took me off the Neurontin and back on prednisone. Now the prednisone is wearing off, the leg pain is returning.

Doctor gave me Lyrica to try, 75mg twice daily (it comes in much lower doses, but maybe it doesnt work well in doses below this level?). I am reluctant to try it, for it's the sister drug to Neurontin. But the leg pain was waking me up again last night after just a few hours, so I guess I am going to give it a try after I finish the steroids. I will let you know what results I get from it.

My jobs requires that my mind be sharp, as there is little margin for error in my line of work. So I hope that once I am well enough to return to work, that any meds I am on, will allow me to do my work. (I was on Bextra a few years back, and I am allergic to sulfa drugs to which bextra is, and while it made me feel better, I walked around in a fog most of the time with little clarity. My boss noticed immediately when I stopped taking it, and quite frankly.. so did I. Hehe, the ditzy blonde left the building. hehehe

So here's hoping we both get good results from it. Please continue to post here, so we can swap our stories as to how it's doing.

Take care, Tammy

Last edited by Justoneofus; 05-16-2006 at 05:34 AM.

Old 05-22-2006, 06:57 PM   #5
    tammys
    (female)

tammys HB User

Justoneofus, I have been on the lyrica for a week now and basically I feel like I did when I was on neurontin. I am sleepy all the time and feel disconnected. I do not like the sluggish feeling I get on this medicine. I also am not able to tell a difference yet. Hopefully soon, because the doctor said that if this amount did not help that she was going to up my dose. Basically I feel like they try to make you sleep all the time so you don't know that your hurting. I have to make myself get up in the mornings and then stay up all day. If I ever get set down somewhere, I am asleep. I am not driving anymore because of all the meds I am on. At the first of the month (when the insurance will pay) I am going to be getting my pain patches. Maybe they will help some. I guess I'll be playing the guessing game for the rest of my life.

Good Luck!! Keep Smiling!!!
    Tammy

Old 05-22-2006, 08:18 PM   #6
    Justoneofus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Justoneofus HB User

Tammy,

Well after the roids wore off, the nagging foot and leg pain was right there to remind me again. So, I did try one 75mg tablet of the Lyrica the other night. I woke up to horrible swelling and everything from my hips down were aching all over again.

Needless to say I did not take anymore, weathered the weekend and called the doctor this morning. They took me off the Lyrica too. I asked about Topamax (which I think it's the queen of cloudy thinking meds). He said he would let me try it, but then the nurse that called me said she wanted to talk to the doctor just to make sure it was the right thing to do for me. So I have to wait until tomorrow after they dangled it in front me by phone today to see if he will write it for me to try.

Meanwhile.. I did some research for holistic herbs, remedies.. and I heard that Quinine has been very beneficial for some. I called the pharmacist and she said she has several patients that swear by it, but it is in a perscribed dose and not low dose over the counter. I went and got some of the stufff to help me through the night (at least that is the object) and was also told that I am probably magnesium deficient from all the meds and to get some of that. So I have that too. I will keep you posted on what is and is not working.

I have read alot of users on Lyrica that do tolerate it well, do have to up the dose for awhile. With each up, you get that same fogginess, but will subside somewhat after you level off. I hear it doesnt totally go away, but it does ease up some. I am glad you aren't having the reaction I have had with the medication.

I would just like to find something that will help me get through the fusing phase. Once that occurs, then I can go on anti-inflammatories. When I am on the prednisone (which is an anti-inflammatory) I feel great! But when its gone.. the pain returns. So I am hoping that my nerve issues are strictly related to swelling and not nerve damage. The doctor said he doesnt even think he came close to the nerve from where he was working, but did say he did most of his work from my left side, which is understand why there is more swelling there.

Backwise, 5 weeks post surgery.. that part feels really good and kinda sturdy even.

So how is the quantity and quality of your sleep? The leg keeps me awake, especially if it goes into spasm (even with Skelaxin, Vicodin, vitamins, hydration, heat, ice, patches, etc). When I am able to sleep it's very interrupted and I dont sleep for long. I average about 4 hours a day, including naps. It's not enough, and it would be normally, but there is no quality to it yet. Hope yours is better than mine.

Take care, keep the faith things will get better, we just need to continue to be patient a bit longer is all. Let me know how your doing. Tammy

Old 05-23-2006, 07:00 AM   #7
    WebWizard
    (female)

WebWizard HB User

IMHO it does depend on how the doctor wants to do the treatment with you. Lyrica is only one of a few nerve meds you can be placed on. Cymbalta is another. I've been on both with my back issue and discontinued them since neither were helping me. I tried the Ultracet and that wasn't helping me either.

That would be something to discuss with your doctor and ask him how you should expect the medication to interact with your treatment therapy. Each person reacts to medication differently because of the chemical balance. If you are more curious as to what it can do you could always call your local pharmacist and ask them about the side affects, etc. In the end though, the best thing I could suggest is to discuss your concerns with your doctor and be very clear on what they are. If you don't ask your doctor or express how you're feeling they won't know how to treat you - communication is #1 between patient and doctor.

Old 05-23-2006, 08:55 AM   #8
    babsbro
    (female)

babsbro HB User

This is the first time on this discussion thing. I'm so happy to find some company. I live in Armstrong, British Columbia, Canada. I have been on lyrica for 6 months now.

I have had a laminectomy/discectomy at L5/S1 levels. I had surgery and thought my leg pain was healed. Then about 4 weeks after surgery it returned, worse than before the 1st surgery. They did an "urgent redo" of the first surgery.

I have had 2 rhazotomies, 2 epidural blocks, and am really really depressed. I have 3 girls who live with their dad on the weekdays. I get them on weekends and the holidays.

The first time I tried lyrica I was confused and the girls had to call my parents because they said that "mom was acting weird". It scared the **** out of them.

After about a week I think the disorientation and dizziness went away. It made me really sleep too, for about a week after starting the medicine.

I have scar tissue all interwoven with my nerves at the L5 and S1 levels and L3 and L4 are now herniated.

I'm scared to go through another surgery because after the 2 last year I don't know what my future holds. What was really sad was that my girls were finally home for the summer holidays and mom spent it in the hospital and then as pretty much a vegetable for the rest of the time. They really got jipped.

I have 600mg per day of lyrica 300 in the morning, 300 in the evening. I also am on hydromorphcontin, 18mg every 8 hours. I'm on dilaudid 8mg 4 times per day. I also throughout the day take 12-14 tylenol #1 to try and keep myself from killing myself.

I can feel myself getting more and more dark. My doctor is an anal idiot. He does not realize, or he chooses to not realize, that after a time a person becomes tolerant to the beginning dosage, and therefore more dosage is needed to keep the same effect. Which is why I've been taking the Tylenol #1 like candy.

I think the lyrica is helping a little bit. I know that if I miss getting a prescription that I can feel the really really intense leg pain start from the bottom of my spine within about 48 hrs from the last dose.

So, I think it does help. It takes a while for your body to become used to it. Gavapentin did nothing for me (neurontin). I'm not sure what the answer is.

I wish, I don't know what I wish. Thanks for listening.

Barbara

Old 05-23-2006, 06:30 PM   #9
    WebWizard
    (female)

WebWizard HB User

[QUOTE=babsbro]The first time I tried lyrica I was confused and the girls had to call my parents because they said that "mom was acting weird". It scared the **** out of them. After about a week I think the disorientation and dizziness went away. It made me really sleep too, for about a week after starting the medicine. [/QUOTE]

Has that feeling worn off or are you still experiencing it? IMHO, if you're still having feelings like that I would say something to the doctor. If you already have and the doctor is still insistent on keeping you at the same levels, there's a serious problem and he's looking at his own benefit and not the patient. I'd really consider going to another doctor at that point. The roll of a doctor is to stay within the doctor's oath and take care of his patients.

Before I'd found the pain doctor I'm seeing now the previous doctor whom I was seeing had a similar view and I couldn't stand it. Rather than look at what the patient was saying, he already had his mind made up from the get go of what was going to happen and how things were going to go; drove me batty.

[QUOTE]
    I have 600mg per day of lyrica 300 in the morning, 300 in the evening. I also am on hydromorphcontin, 18mg every 8 hours. I'm on dilaudid 8mg 4 times per day. I also throughout the day take 12-14 tylenol #1 to try and keep myself from killing myself. I can feel myself getting more and more dark. My doctor is an anal idiot. He does not realize, or he chooses to not realize, that after a time a person becomes tolerant to the beginning dosage, and therefore more dosage is needed to keep the same effect. Which is why I've been taking the Tylenol #1 like candy. [/QUOTE]

That's a lot of nerve medicine first of all and second way too much tylenol, you're killing your kidneys. I was living off of hydrocodone, flexeril, sometimes percocet rather than the hydrocodone and oxycodone. Basically a daily drug store and this went on for an entire year - daily. Every four hours I was taking something just to keep the pain level down so I could tolerate movement because it was so intense.

At the time we weren't even considering surgery because even though my nerves were severely damaged they were still recoverable (if that's a word). I remember being told when we first started the therapy that it was either going to work and I would get better or my back was going to finally give out and surgery was going to eventually happen; well here I am a year and a half later and I'm looking at a consult with a surgeon (actually 2) now. At least we tried and went through all the conventional therapies; that's about the only good thing that came out of the issue.

My point is this, I did go to my family doctor at one time just for a check up because he wanted to know how I was doing with all the pain meds I had taken. Did a urinalysis and checked the kidneys and liver. Everything was doing ok but at the same time, all the pain medication I was on wasn't good and on top of that all the nerve medication I had taken wasn't good for it either. I had taken Cymbalta for about a year and Lyrica for about 6 months right along with it.

I, like you, lived off of the pain meds and the reality of it all is I was doing some serious damage. I know it's a darned if you do and darned if you don't situation because of the back pain keeping you from functioning and living a "normal life". I can remember telling my husband quite a few times, "it's not fair that I can't do what I want; why is it that I can't do something simple and easy; I feel like an invalid" He would always say to me, as hard as it is to accept the fact you can't move like you want to, consider the fact that you could be in a body cast or worse, you could be stuck in the hospital in traction with a broken back from doing something simple and easy.

It sounded ridiculous at the time and I actually laughed it off. I found out quickly that I wasn't able to do it all because of my back. The only way it was going to quit hurting, at least stay at a tolerance of pain, was to not use it. It forced me to realize that I needed to rest and be laying down a lot in order to prevent the nerves from getting compressed more than they already are plus make my back worse than it already is. I have moments when I can sit up at the computer for a few hours then I have times when I'm down for a full day to recover from doing that.

It's hard and I'll admit it to you now, my husband works long hours and I'm the only one that is home, I don't have any kids. No family where I'm at so it's difficult to do things on my own when I go through my bouts of the bad days. I understand where you're coming from totally. Those days are usually the ones that I live off of Flexeril and an ice pack to keep everything at bay.

I'm not sure what is in the future for me with the surgery and which way it's going to go. There has been a few options being weighed out (lumbar fusion in the L5 area or an artificial disc) but there again it depends on what is the smartest option for my back currently so they don't have to go back and do anything at a later date.

We'll see. Sorry the email is so long but I can honestly understand what you're saying and feel your pain. I wish you all the best and will keep you in my thoughts that everything gets better soon with this doctor issue.

Sue

Old 05-24-2006, 07:48 PM   #10
    wt2
    (male)

wt2 HB User

I have been back on Lyrica now for 10 days. The first time I was on 50mg and am on 75mg this time. Yesterday I noticed that my ankles and feet where a little swollen. Today they are more swollen. I read what Justoneofus said about a bad problem with swelling and they quit using it. I have read that this is definately a side effect of Lyrica, and that it might go away after a few weeks of usage. Also that participants in trials of this drug usually kept taking it after they had swelling. I am going to call the Dr in the morning, and will probably stop taking Lyrica because of this. Tammy, have you had any swelling? I wonder if others here have kept taking Lyrica after having swelling and been alright?

Old 06-10-2006, 03:28 PM   #11
    scbmxmom
    (female)

scbmxmom HB User

Hi all

I've been on Lyrica for almost two months now (150mg 2x's a day). At first I was SOOOOOO tired. I would fall asleep while having conversations. Over time that wore off. Thank goodness!! It does help with the nerve pain in my leg. Although I do have does when there is "breakthrough" pain. I have been trying to lose weight (gained over 30lbs) since my surgery. I notice that althought I'm trying (VERY HARD) to lose weight it just won't come off. I've only lost about 6lbs. My weight does go up & down because of the swelling. The last time my feet & hands were swollen was when I was pregnant. So I KNOW it's the Lyrica making me swell. Sometimes my hands & feet feel like they are going to pop! It's so uncomfortable. But my doctor wants me to stay on it because it DOES work for the nerve pain. I know I would rather deal with some side effects rather than that pain.

I have heard about Topamax and that is actually helps you lose weight. I'm trying to get my doctor to let me try it. But he is adaement I stick with Lyrica. Must be getting a kick back from a pharmicutical rep. JUST JOKING! HA!HA!

Dec 05 - Discectomy L3/L4
    Jan 06 - TLIF Fusion L3/L4
    May 08 - Ruptured C5/C6
    Jun 08 - Fibromyalgia
    Oct 08 - Artificial Disc C5/C6
    July 09 - Ruptured L4/L5
    July 09 - Spinal Stenosis

Old 06-10-2006, 10:24 PM   #12
    WebWizard
    (female)

WebWizard HB User

[QUOTE=scbmxmom]Hi all
    I have heard about Topamax and that is actually helps you lose weight. I'm trying to get my doctor to let me try it. But he is adaement I stick with Lyrica. Must be getting a kick back from a pharmicutical rep. JUST JOKING! HA!HA! [/QUOTE]

Not sure about the Topomax having anything with loosing weight.. have been on it for years and it's never affected me. The key to loosing weight is be on a healthy eating diet; don't over do your eating habits; drink a lot of water daily; exercise a little bit every day. It hurts and it's going to but your back does need to recover and the only way it will recover is to get the exercise.

The important thing is to avoid the fatty foods and the high carbohydrates. If you MUST have pop then start drinking the diet. I'm stuck diet Mountain Dew. I go back and forth between it and ice tea with Sweet N Low. For sweets, I avoid candy a lot of the times; just don't have that thing for it anymore. The only thing that I still have an addiction to is licorice, have been eating that since I was a kid. I remember my Mom always telling me eventually I would turn into one since that was my one soft spot.. Little joke between her and I.. anyway. For ice cream; with it being summer I've been eating the sugar free; there really isn't too much of a difference between it and the regular just the lower carbs and the type of sweetener that is used.

Avoid the fast food ALL OF IT! It's nothing but grease and fat. Your body takes forever to digest grease and fat because of it's high content, that's how you gain the weight. I learned that from a dieticiann because my husband has Type I Diabetes; we have to watch his diet as well so it's good for me too. Another thing that she mentioned to us was start eating smaller portions of your meals; rather than eating larger meals (1 meal a day) have little meals throughout the day. 3 small meals a day does the body good.

She also mentioned eating a good breakfast in the mornings is VERY important because that will increase your energy throughout the day and make you want to be active. It will also curve your appetite. She'd mentioned something to me about doing the granola bars? I don't care for them so what I've been doing is keeping the refrigerator stocked with plenty of fruit and vegetables to snack on throughout the day. When I want a snack, I just grab an apple or an orange. I've been going on this kick lately of cut carrots and celery with 2 to 4 tablespoons of low carb ranch dressing - yummy!!!

That's about the best way I've been able to keep my weight down, especially now. Hope this helps!

Old 06-17-2006, 10:19 PM   #13
    Mcgirl
    (female)

Mcgirl HB User

I have been on Lyrica 300MG 2X daily for about 7 months. At first (for about a month) I felt drunk when I took it. I began taking both pills at night when I got home from work b/c of this problem. Eventually this side effect wore off. I still take both at night but I not longer have any side effects. I feel like this med really helos me ALOT! My doc just gave me another pill to take in the morning (75mg) b/c I am having another surgery in a few weeks and my nerve pain is getting REALLY BAD!!!

I feel like this is a really good med that more people need to take. I know the sid effects turn people off but after awile the body becomes adjusted and the effect goes away. Just give this med a chance.

Closed Thread