It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Flying After a Fusion?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-28-2006, 08:18 AM   #1
    schragie
    Veteran
    (female)

schragie HB User
    Flying After a Fusion?

Just wondering whether anyone here has gotten on a plane after fusion and if so, how long after and how was it? I am almost 6 weeks post-fusion L5-S1 and still having leg pain and some back pain. A family health crisis is drawing me to take a 2 1/2 hour flight although my doc told me I couldn't fly until about 8-10 weeks post-fusion. I don't want to put my fusion at risk nor be in additional pain, which I am sure will be guaranteed with a flight, so I kind of already know the answer about flying.....BUT has anyone flown anywhere and how was it?

Thanks, Schragie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2006, 08:36 AM   #2
    Justoneofus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Justoneofus HB User
    Re: Flying After a Fusion?

Schragie,

Im sorry to hear about your family emergency. Is altitude the issue, other than that, I would think it's only because of the amount of sitting. My doc sitting will not harm a fusion, it's only the pain it will cause you in doing so. I can now sit for over an hour at a time and our fusions were done at the same time. I am still having the leg and foot pain, and since reducing my pain meds.. my hips are killing me.

I would call ur doc. If you have fly before his regular business hours.. I would place an emergency call into him and explain ur situation to him/her. I think this easily consitutes an emergency call if need be. Good luck and keep me posted. Tammy

Old 05-29-2006, 10:43 AM   #3
    BobiM
    (female)

BobiM HB User

[QUOTE=schragie]so I kind of already know the answer about flying.....BUT has anyone flown anywhere and how was it?

Thanks, Schragie[/QUOTE]

My son's doctor had fusion surgery by someone out west and he flew home the day after he was discharged from the hospital. It was a 4 hour flight. He did fine but it's not something I would want to do. His was an L-5/S-1.

Old 05-29-2006, 11:06 AM   #4
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

Hi - i usually hang on the spinal board, but was looking for info. i saw your post. I had a C4-6 fusion and flew about 8 weeks after. I experienced increased "pressure" feeling in my spine once airborne until landing. Not horrible but it was a surprise and I took a pain pill on return flight home and was fine.

Old 05-29-2006, 11:20 AM   #5
    schragie
    Veteran
    (female)

schragie HB User

Thanks, folks. I think the issues are both barometric pressure and sitting. I had a C5-C7 fusion about 8 years ago and to this day cannot fly without having neck pain for a bout a week after flying. As for the back, I am still limited in how long I can sit. All in all, I know it is a bad decision to fly just yet so I am going to hang tight for a few days and see how my dad's condition pans out. It is possible the family will want to fly to NYC for treatment, which means I better clean my house! All the same, I will call my doc this week and ask about the risks of flying and an eta on when I can do it. Bobi -- I cant imagine flying the day after fusion! I was in the hospital for five days following mine and barely survived the 1 hour drive home.

I wish a memorable Memorial Day to all. Thanks for the advice.

Schragie

Old 05-29-2006, 12:15 PM   #6
    BobiM
    (female)

BobiM HB User

[QUOTE=schragie] Bobi -- I cant imagine flying the day after fusion! I was in the hospital for five days following mine and barely survived the 1 hour drive home.

I wish a memorable Memorial Day to all. Thanks for the advice.

Schragie[/QUOTE]

Neither can I. I nearly died when he told me that. It was actually the day he was discharged from the hospital. Maybe they kept him longer than usual. I never asked that. I hope everything works out for you.

Closed Thread