It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• 4 weeks;fusion..very happy..ALMOST SCARE III

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-06-2006, 06:00 AM   #1
    okie46
    (female)

okie46 HB User
    4 weeks;fusion..very happy..ALMOST SCARE III

Morning All,
    Will start this, hope you all find. I had 2 great days, then woke up with my back hurting so bad, so have to walk, always helps. Sue, I never have to worry about animals like that out here, is it because of the rain that has moved them out to populated areas you think? Be so very careful.PLEASE. It's too hot here for anything but snakes and cyotes. Humid today, so have to walk soon.
    Carol, your Hubby may be right, you might need to take it easy with all that's going on with you, but I would ask surgeon about a chiropractor visit, I go to one but for accupunture only, NEVER to adjust, he wouldn't anyway We're here for you, and thinking of you all the time, I'm lucky not to have to work yet and husband has insurance on me, THAT'S the important thing right now. Walking really helps, PLEASE try it again, you don't want to but once you 're out the door it sure helps.
    I have to go walk before heat is up, thinking of you all, have a good day.

OKIE46

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2006, 12:03 PM   #2
    Susiebird
    (female)

Susiebird HB User
    Re: 4 weeks;fusion..very happy..ALMOST SCARE III

Good news from the surgeon, looks like I'm fusing . He took me off the robaxin and the vicodin, but put me on neurontin plus Feldene - it's an NSAID (never heard of it). Also cortisone shot in my SI joint on the right side. I'm chicken to try the neurontin yet, so took the old stuff as I'm way overdue and don't want to experiment this late in the day.

He told me I could walk 5 miles in the morning and 5 in the afternoon if I wanted; I can jog, start core exercises, AND try the kayak but I'm going to check at the gym about a personal trainer before I get too nuts...felt a lot better after I left, went shopping and bought new sneakers and 2 count'em 2 bathing suits.....tried on some birkenstocks; they felt good, but I didn't want to part with the $90 today. someone told me that sams has the same thing only a lot cheaper, so I'll wait.

The surgeon is very happy about my new career and gave me permanent restrictions so I'll never have to make another diaper- evah! left it at 4 hour days....he'll leave it up to me when I want to increase it. Maybe this winter....I see the plant doc on the 17th.

Bears have been common around here the last 3 years. They love birdfeeders and have destroyed a few of ours, wild turkeys -last year they nested right behind our house and one day I counted 35 birds; white-tail deer graze in our lawn - they've left my flowers alone so far, but if they start, they'll be venison in the freezer this fall..woodchucks, stray cats, oh it's fun to sit on the back porch and watch them all. We have 5 acres and half of it is open field so there is plenty for them all to eat.

I totally agree that sitting at the computer is probably one of the worst things for our backs, Carol. Good luck with a new venture, sometimes you just gotta go for it! Easy for me to say right?

Hope you're feeling better Okie; Deedee and Dan also. Take care all!

Old 07-07-2006, 08:40 AM   #3
    okie46
    (female)

okie46 HB User

Morning All,
    What great news Sue, on your way to bigger & better things, right? You'll do good on the walking part, we are used to that part anyway. My walk was good today, not too humid YET. I pretty much feel like crap today, I had so m,any good days, forgot how bad a bad day can be, hurt ALL over, oh well , Somedays your the windshield, some days the bug..........
    I also love the Birkenstock shoes, but won't pay for them, would like to know if you find them at Sam's. I think you were flying on good news yesterday, don't come down hard Sue. Don't know doesage of neurontin, but that stuff can sure help or hender, just your body can tell..
    You have a wildlife refuge in your yard, how nice. I have birdfeeders, so only the birds to watch, but love that.
    Carol hope you are OK today, thinking of you always. Hope my day is better tomorrow and don't hurt so bad. Later everyone, have a good day.

okie46

Old 07-07-2006, 09:01 AM   #4
    Susiebird
    (female)

Susiebird HB User

Took my 2nd neurontin an hour ago - he's starting me at 300mg 3x/day. I feel mighty sleepy, BUT still feel better than the fog brain I had with the robaxin and the vicodin. Haven't had anything else so far and it's easier to sit at the puter again. The shot in the SI joint was zapping me last night, but he must have hit the right spot because when I laid down, there was absolutely NO PAIN, and I've had that since day 1 of surgery. Not sure how long it will last, but I'll take the relief for as long as I can. Hopefully I can avoid the crash-and-burn effect; things have GOT to start going right soon.....

I'm actually COLD today; it's high 70's and no humidity with a nice breeze. I think the shoes at Sams are called Petula's?

Hope you all have a good day; think I need to take a nap. My face feels hot and I'm having trouble focusing? Oh the joys of being a lab rat!!!!

Old 07-08-2006, 08:03 AM   #5
    okie46
    (female)

okie46 HB User

Morning All,
    The neurontin will make you sleepy until your body adjusts, Sue, when they up ed my dose I felt like a big time drunk. I finally quit the neurontin, but it helped alot at the time. But still taking Robaxin and percocet, so lab rat is right for all of us. The fuzzy feeling you have is the medicine, I'm sure. I may get another cortazone shot in my back, sure has been bad for 3 days now, hard to walk this morning. I love to walk but sure had to push myself to do it today, so much pain today, oh well "cowboy up" and go on at least today. Nice weather only 90 degrees, bet the medicine is making you cold Sue.Rest all weekend OK????
    Have a good one everyone.Thinking of you all.

Okie46

Old 07-09-2006, 03:08 AM   #6
    Susiebird
    (female)

Susiebird HB User

So far so good with the neurontin, except I was in bed before 8 last night! And that was after I took a nap at 10 AM! (had been up since 4 though). The only other thing I took was 2 XST, and yes, I think it's making me cold, plus my face and neck have been flushed. Lots of sitting and standing yesterday (funeral for our friend that died from leukemia) but DEFINITELY felt better than with that other crap I was taking....I was ready to get home and lay down, but I would have been an absolute bear a week ago.

Yesterday we did a 6.5 mile walk, and my legs hurt, but I managed. Hopefully with some other exercises I'll get straightened out quickly!

Hope you're all having a decent weekend; Okie yes, cowboy up and you WILL get there!

Old 07-09-2006, 08:00 AM   #7
    okie46
    (female)

okie46 HB User

Morning All,
    Very hard today to Cowboy up, haven't slept good in 2 nights, for some reason my back has started hurting again, just like when I tweaked it a month ago. Walk was hard yesterday, VERY Hard today Don't understand, I've had NO PAIN since surgery except for that tweak deal, now 3 days worth of way too much pain. Back to the can't sit for very long, back up to 4 pain pills a day, very miserable, hope this weather has something to do with it. Will see surgeon next Friday, see what he thinks, hopefully will be gone by then.
    Sue I bet that medicine is making you sleepy, you'll get used to it, hopefully soon, Huh. I have to get up, have a good weekend all.

Okie46

Old 07-10-2006, 05:56 AM   #8
    Susiebird
    (female)

Susiebird HB User

Good morning all!

Well Okie, I now know what you meant by the drunk feeling - got up in the night and slammed into the wall once and the legs feel like crap, but I had thought awhile ago that it may be from the elavil so I'm going to wean myself from that. The hip (SIJ) is still good; need a shot in the other one! I drove an hour one way yesterday and made out fine, but fell asleep as soon as I got home. Oh well I'll just cowboy up too and see where it takes me. Lifted a baby yesterday - the surgeon said I should be able to lift 25 pounds; when I told him my feet burn the following day if I lift anything heavier than 10, he gave me a lecture on how I'm not lifting correctly.....need to lift with my legs blah blah blah; well if the muscles aren't "kicking in" I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do except exercises to isolate certain muscles (not sure what they are though).

Well got an update for ya'll - the plant found work for me - doing some safety updates and computer work. Not sure how long it will last but I can give them 2 weeks then I'm on vacation (got a hefty deposit on a room at the beach and I won't give it up without a fight!). I'm kind of excited (am having a pretty good day so far) but it doesn't start until the 24th.

Hope you're all doing okay today; Okie hopefully you WILL have the pain when you see the surgeon; it's always hard for me to describe if I "had it" but now don't; at least when it's recurring and like my SIJ pain, he poked my back and found the sore spot and (hopefully) at least isolated it and it's something for me to work on.

Have a good day all; Carol, hope you're hanging in there and they get to the bottom of your most recent pain. Also Dee, Dan, everyone else.

Last edited by Susiebird; 07-10-2006 at 09:04 AM.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:29 AM   #9
    okie46
    (female)

okie46 HB User

Morning All,
    Finally slept last night and do feel better today, hope I can relate to surgeon when I go in as I can feel right where the pain is, a shot like your's Sue would do the trick. I made a LONG walk this morning , finally cool enough and the pain had let up some, it was truly nice. I know the neurontin is what is bothering you Sue, just hope it doesn't affect your driving too much, sure did mine, I needed a designated driver when I took it, may have to go back to it if this doesn't let up and yes, hope it's still kinda bad when I see him Friday.
    Hubby home, so have to cater to him today, do you really want TO GO BACK TO THE PLANT. Sue. Even that kind of work will take some doing, I know I still can't work yet, couldn't take the hours, but hope it works for you. Vaction on the water, how cool is that? We are in process of getting a small place on the lake back in OK. Be nice to VISIT, not live year round, too small and too cold in winter, but will be nice
    Have a good day, hope all is well Carol, DeeDee.......Tomorrow.

Okie46

Old 07-11-2006, 04:08 AM   #10
    Susiebird
    (female)

Susiebird HB User

There will be a lot of moving around (walking from line to line and making sure the computers are set up correctly, and most of the computers are raised high enough to stand at them, so that's a bonus). Also, I need to get back at least a day here and there or I'll have to start paying towards my insurances. And if I work 1 day this year, I'm eligible for my vacation (and will be eligible to cash out when/if I quit.... ). I still have to be cleared by the plant doc next week, and maybe he'll disagree with mixing the neurontin and crossing in front of crazy fork truck drivers...

A friend told me a trick he used to show his doctor where his pain was - he had his wife mark the spot with a permanent marker! Hope there is something he can do for you Okie; it's about time you get some relief!

I have been waking up after 7 hours of sleep and am awake for a while (makes for a long night when I go to bed at 8). The shot in the hip is still working. I'm starting with the home gym today; carried water yesterday and my leg muscles don't feel they need to jump in and help out with the lifting so I guess I need to train them....

Hope you all have a somewhat good day....take care!

Old 07-12-2006, 08:08 AM   #11
    okie46
    (female)

okie46 HB User

Morning All,
    I am A LITTLE better today, not sleeping very good, walking always helps but so hard when it's so hot, last 2 days been 116 degrees, normally not too bad but it's monsoon season so humidity is a killer. It will be over soon and can start back on 2 times the walks. Will do that with the marker, good idea.
    If I work any I lose my disability, good thing is my hubby has got my ins. on his now. I'm so behind on so many things because of heat, must get started on a few things today. Sounds like your plant thing will be alright, hope it works out Sue. Hope the neurontin is doing better for you. Thinking about you all, have got to do some things....Tomorrow

Okie46

Old 07-12-2006, 09:08 AM   #12
    Susiebird
    (female)

Susiebird HB User

The neurontin knocks me out at night but still sleeping exactly 7 hours. Getting used to taking naps during the day, and drinking lots more coffee. Yesterday I was able to do my Pilates tape - it felt so good to stretch I actually cried - guess it was more of a reality check that I'm getting back into my previous life (no, not the reincarnation thing ) yes, I'm still wary that it could come to a crashing halt; but that makes me happier than heck! RAN outside today, started a couch to 5K program so we'll see how the running goes. Decided to work on my core muscles first before I start weight training. If that doesn't work, I'll get a personal trainer.

The plant called and asked what hours I wanted to work - since the plant runs 24/7 I wouldn't have been surprised if they told me something in the middle of the night. I chose 9-1. I'm not sure about the effect on my pay; whether they take of dollar for dollar or if they'll reduce my current DB pay by half; waiting for a callback on that and some other questions; probably not much difference either way, except I'll pay more taxes .

We're having a lot of rain again and calling for flash floods. There is a mad dash to get the roads fixed from the last flooding so sure hope it doesn't undo their work...

Hope you're all doing okay; have at least a so-so day all!

Old 07-13-2006, 07:18 AM   #13
    okie46
    (female)

okie46 HB User

Morning All,
    I've had a HORRIBLE 24 hours, not just pain but nerves are just shot, so won't put it on you all. I'm just disgusted with everything, so will try to get my head back today and do better tomorrow. Glad all is working Sue, wish I was 1/2 of you.Tomorrow all, have a good daY.....

Okie46

Old 07-13-2006, 07:28 AM   #14
    Susiebird
    (female)

Susiebird HB User

Okie, put it all on us if you must-that's why we're here . Good luck on your appointment tomorrow! IT WILL GET BETTER {{{OKIE46}}}

Doing well today; I'm sleeping really well. Bedtime cocktail neurontin, 1 10 mg elavil, 2 XST. Legs are still tired feeling but I think they're better with cutting down on the elavil.....I'm afraid to stop taking it all together as even at the low dose, it still calms me down Lots of errands to do today, must run.

Old 07-14-2006, 08:18 AM   #15
    okie46
    (female)

okie46 HB User

Morning All,
    Guess I'll live, just been an unbelievable bad week, stress on waiting on a lot of things that are just grinding on my nerves, I'm a very patient person but people that have promised things they are NOT doing, in business things, are getting to me. If I tell someone I will do something, I do it, guess I'm a dying breed, business people don't do ANYTHING they tell you they will Anyway, my Dr had to cancel his trip down here from Vegas this week, they told me I could come up there, just another peg in the coffin this week, won't drive up , I'm a little better today, so will wait for his next visit, I'm getting by, walking, even did yesterday in afternoon was 120 degrees, so not far, but was nice this morning, so walked an extra mile, feel better, just my head needs clearing. HA!
    Glad you are doing good Sue, sleep is good, I'm taking ambien to sleep since this stress started, but feet are better, a small reward. Hope you have a good weekend everyone.

OKIE46

Closed Thread