It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Discectomy L1 S5 tomorrow afternoon-any post op tips?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-30-2006, 05:45 PM   #1
    tlc6
    (female)

tlc6 HB User
    Discectomy L1 S5 tomorrow afternoon-any post op tips?

I saw the surgeon on Weds and he has scheduled me for a discectomy tomorrow late afternoon. Since it's happened so fast I feel unprepared. I was told no bending forward, twisting or lifting. That's about it. I'll be in the hospital for one night. I was wondering if anybody could tell me what to expect post op and what I should do to prepare my apartment. THanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2006, 05:54 PM   #2
    Fiesty47
    (female)

Fiesty47 HB User
    Re: Discectomy L1 S5 tomorrow afternoon-any post op tips?

Hi
    If possible have someone stay with you. If not make sure you have things to eat for the night that just need to be heated or order out. I was very very sore after my test and for me I was in more pain for the next few days then I was before the discogram. Don't panic it gets better. I have been told that it is the best way to see what is going on and to see if you may need surgery. My L5S1 were bad so I had to have a fusion. Take it easy and be ready for some pain.

Sue

Old 07-30-2006, 05:58 PM   #3
    Fiesty47
    (female)

Fiesty47 HB User

opps thinking the wrong thing. Sorry about that.
    The discectomy will put you out for a bit. I had my first one done a long time ago and was back to school quickly. Be patient with your self as you heal and give yourself as much time as you need. Rest and let your body get over the shock it will have. Take care and keep us posted

Sue

Old 07-30-2006, 07:11 PM   #4
    Suzy-Q
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Suzy-Q HB User

Hi Sue-
    Good grief, I can't imagine what I'd do without 2 months to pre-plan my surgery! Trust me, this is better. The anxiety of this latest surgery of mine nearly killed me. Too much time is worse than too little. I would look at the post-op post on this board - though it is mainly for fusions most of it is just good advise for anyone having spine surgery. Here are my favorite tips: get huggies wipes. I have them in my bathroom and on a card table right next to my bed. I have all my clothes and my dressing aids (sock putter oner) on that table, too. A long-reach gripper is a must. I have 2 cuz how do you grip the gripper when you drop it? You won't be able to open and close drawers so get all the things you need and put them on tables and counters. Have a flashlight on that bedside table. No groping around in the dark!
    Having someone with you or someone to check in several times a day is really a big help for those first few days home. Pets? Don't try to walk a dog on leash! Feed them on chairs cuz dropping the food bowl to the floor makes a jolly mess. And otherwise, you've got the basics right: NO bending, NO lifting, and NO twisting.
    Best of luck- Suzy-Q

Old 07-30-2006, 08:39 PM   #5
    charliecat31
    Veteran
    (female)

charliecat31 HB User

Can help any, but wanted to wish you GOOD LUCK!

Old 07-30-2006, 10:45 PM   #6
    Katina128
    (female)

Katina128 HB User

I would suggest a grabber to pick up things off the floor. I still use mine all the time. Get some movies to watch, magazines or books to read and be prepared to sleep a lot the first few days. Then you just need to take it easy. It was hard for me to sit back and let hubby care for me and everything else and kids too. I was superwoman, afterall. Good luck and give your body plenty of time to heal.

Last edited by Katina128; 07-30-2006 at 10:46 PM.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:35 AM   #7
    tlc6
    (female)

tlc6 HB User

Thanks for all the tips! I go in today at 3 and I'm really nervous. Today I'm going to buy a grabber and other things that were suggested. Unfortunately I don't have a very supportive family so I won't get much help but I do have a friend who will stop by a couple times a day. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Old 07-31-2006, 03:54 PM   #8
    Queenneeee
    (female)

Queenneeee HB UserQueenneeee HB User

Oh tic I wish you the best.... I've kinda been there did that so if you have any questions once your home feel free to ask ... also if you just need to vent we will be here for you ok, we are all friends here good luck, Sandy.......

Old 08-01-2006, 12:36 PM   #9
    sandie_a
    (female)

sandie_a HB User

i'm a little late to this thread, but wanted to say my thoughts are with you!

i am 3 weeks post op from L4/L5 discectomy, L5/S1 laminotomy. my boyfriend stayed with me the first two weeks, and i don't know what i would have done without him, especially during the first week. he's back to work now, and i'm moving around and getting along on my own pretty well. had my first follow up appt last week, and the incision healing is looking great. i'm still up in the air on how i feel... still having more pain down the right leg (discectomy side) than i'd hoped at this point, but am being told that it's not unusual and to try to reserve judgement just yet. gotta remain optomistic! my left side (laminotomy only) is feeling pretty good.

i see you are also in the bay area, so hi neighbor!

wishing you the best!

Closed Thread