It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Pain after Microdiscectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-24-2006, 08:36 AM   #1
    thewards
    (male)

thewards HB User
    Pain after Microdiscectomy and Nerve ?

Hi eveyone,
    I am looking for help and I will try to keep this short. I have been dealing with lower back pain off and on for around two years. Recently in April of this year I was lifting a patient and I felt a burning sensation in my lower back, I ignored the pain for about three weeks and then the pain migrated into my left leg and butt. I delt with this pain for about 3 months with the pain rating as high as a 9 over 10. Recently I had a microdiscectomy and all of my pain in my leg and butt was gone, I had some pain in the area of the surgery but that was to be expected. On day 5 or 6 after the surgery the pain in my leg and butt started to return and since then the pain has gradually increased. Right now the pain is about half the pain of what it used to be. I am very concered that the pain may fully return. Is this part of the normal healing process? has anyone been through this? It has been two weeks post surgery and looking for help.

Thanks!

Last edited by thewards; 08-25-2006 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Added ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2006, 10:02 AM   #2
    siberiandog

siberiandog HB User
    Wink Re: Pain after Microdiscectomy

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]hi sorry youre having tough time,sometimes the nerves will wake up later and can generate pain,just take it easy and this extra pain will subside in time,or at least for me it did,if it doesent then ask for another mri,did you ask surgeon about it?,well i hope this helped you a lil bit,just hang in there itll get better [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 08-24-2006, 11:48 AM   #3
    thewards
    (male)

thewards HB User
    Re: Pain after Microdiscectomy

Thanks for the reply, I did call my surgeons office and they said to take ibuprofen 3x daily which would be 1800 mg daily. My only concern is that I had been taking around 2800 mg daily for about three months prior to surgery to help with the pain. Today started out with some slight pain and now its throbbing again. I am just trying to stay positive, I know things could be soooo much worse.

Thanks again for the reply

Last edited by thewards; 08-24-2006 at 11:49 AM.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:52 AM   #4
    thewards
    (male)

thewards HB User
    Re: Pain after Microdiscectomy & Nerve ?

The one thing I also forgot to mention was that my doctor told my wife after surgery that the nerve was against the herniated disk and that the nerve was "tight in one area" and "loose in another area". Can anyone tell me what that means? Would this explain the pain I still have?

Thanks

Old 08-25-2006, 11:53 AM   #5
    ny17
    (female)

ny17 HB User

Hi,

If it makes you feel any better... I had surgery on 6/6/06 and I still have pain. It started to get better then I took a turn for the worse 2 weeks ago. Leg and ankle pain are main complaints. I just had an MRI done and it did not show much that the Dr. can explain. Some scar tissue and buldging disc's at two levels. I am hoping it is just nerve damage that needs to repair itself.

I am too taking 12 advil a day for over 4 months. I find taking a muscle relaxer before bed helps with the pain the next day. Ice ice ice...

Some people here recommended increasing my walking which is painful at first...but I really think it has helped with the pain overall.

You are still early out of post op so have patiance.... and take it easy even when you start feeling better. I think I over did it when I was feeling like I can do a little more than pre op! Hang in there...I feel your pain and anxiousness too!!!!

Old 08-25-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
    thewards
    (male)

thewards HB User

Thank you NY17 for your experience and information. That seems to be the common theme: " be patient". I did start icing my back yesterday and prior to my op it would send me through the roof with pain but now it does seem to help a little. It has been tough for me because I am not the type of person that can just hang around the house and do nothing. I have an appointment on the 31st with my surgeon. I might request some oral steroid, I've read that it was very helpful for some people here, I think it was called a "6 pack". I hope things are well with you and your issues.

Thanks again

Old 08-25-2006, 12:25 PM   #7
    trauma_girl
    (female)

trauma_girl HB User

Welcome to the boards thewards, I am also post op laminectomy and micro d. mine was on 6-14 and I am still having pain big time in my hip and leg. so I can feel your pain... I just had an MRI that said I had scar tissue... so if you are having problems I would suggest you call your MD and ask if an MRI is needed. I don't think you said how far post op you are, but for me I know my pain is just getting worse... wishing you the best Angelia

Old 08-25-2006, 12:36 PM   #8
    ny17
    (female)

ny17 HB User

Thewards..

I hear you on the not being able to do much...It is driving me nuts! You mentioned The ESI. I just went to my surgeon 2 days ago and asked for the same thing. He said I needed to wait another 4 weeks because it was too soon after surgery and I am about 10 weeks. They load you up with steriods during surgery and after surgery you form something called a wet sac and I was told it is dangerous to do the epidoral. They did offer to give me steriods orally but I cannot handle the side effects of that...so I declined. That might be a good option for you though. Just thought I would give you the heads up on the ESI so you would not get your hopes up. By the way... They have worked wonders for me in the past so I will be there in 4 weeks with bells on!
    Have a good weekend...
    d

Old 08-25-2006, 12:37 PM   #9
    thewards
    (male)

thewards HB User

trauma girl,
    Thanks for the reply, I had my microdiscectomy on August 9th. I am hopeful the symptoms will go away in time. It may still be early in the healing process.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:41 PM   #10
    ny17
    (female)

ny17 HB User

oooppps sorry... I read it wrong...you did say oral not epidural. See what pain does to your head? One more thing... Ask your dr. about Neurontin... that has helped me and several people on this board with nerve pain!

Old 08-27-2006, 02:13 PM   #11
    thewards
    (male)

thewards HB User

Trauma Girl,
    Please keep me posted on your progress, I had my microdiscectomy on August 9th also. Hope all is well.

Old 08-28-2006, 02:52 PM   #12
    tlc6
    (female)

tlc6 HB User

Hi there, welcome to these boards! I had surgery on 7/31. I two had pain starting back up about two weeks post surgery. I was told that the first week or two people are so pleased at being relieved of the horrible sciatica pain. At about 2-3 weeks the pain starts to return because the nerves are starting to wake up. It sound like you've had your nerves compressed for awhile. It would make sense that your feeling some symptoms come back. I was pretty worried and called my doctor's office (as well as posted on these boards) but I was reassured that the return of some of the sciatica symptoms were normal at this point. I was also told to ice which did and does help. I was also told to walk which is supposed to help with scar tissue stuff. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Old 08-30-2006, 05:42 PM   #13
    thewards
    (male)

thewards HB User

Thanks tlc6,
    I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon, I will let you know what information they give me.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:07 AM   #14
    thewards
    (male)

thewards HB User

well I had my appointment yesterday and I received the green light to return back to work for three weeks of light duty and then back to full duty status. I did state my concerns about my pain returning to my leg and they said to stay up on the ibuprofen and also that the nerve may take several months to heal. I am also starting PT which I will only do stretching for the next three weeks. This all sounds great but I also woke up this morning and had quite a bit of leg pain. I went for about a 2 mile walk and the pain finally settled down. I guess I need to be patient and positive. I hope everyone finds comfort with their pain. I will keep everyone posted.

Old 09-02-2006, 06:59 AM   #15
    strawman4
    (male)

strawman4 HB User

Hi Everyone, I had my microdiscectomy on 8/22 and just last night started feeling pain in my back with some radiating down my leg. I'm at the week and half point and have been walking several times each day. Last night I actually went out to eat with my wife and it was good to get out. I think sitting for the hour and half might not have been such a good idea now. I hope my recent discomfort is from the nerve "waking up".

My nerve was very compressed from the disc rupture, the Dr said it was strawberry red and the nerves are supposed to be a light tan color. He said it takes about a month for 1 inch of nerve to heal and I could expect some pain occasionally as it heals. The other symptom I'm experiencing is that my mid-section is sore (stomach and lower back muscles). I think it is from laying around for almost two weeks then finally using my abs and back to sit during dinner last night. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks everyone for sharing their experiences and I hope you all get the relief you have been looking for.

Phil

Closed Thread