It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Disk space: Standing vs. Laying Down?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-29-2006, 11:02 AM   #1
    sbbo

sbbo HB User
    Disk space: Standing vs. Laying Down?

Hi there,

I have a question and it's more just to satisfy my own curiosity if nothing else.

I know that most believe x-rays don't give a clear picture of spine problems and that MRI or CT scans are better. But this is something odd I noticed after looking at my x-rays.

I have an x-ray that shows absolutely no disk space between L5 & S1. It's practically bone-to-bone.

MRI shows the same disk space larger. Neurosurgeon saw the MRI and said it's at 50%.

Obviously the x-rays are taken while I was standing.
    The MRI taken while I was laying on my back.

I have the most pain sitting and standing... when laying down, my pain is diminished.

Does disk space "change" with how your body is positioned? Would a Dr. make a different diagnosis if presented with an MRI where I was standing or seated?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    sbbo

Last edited by sbbo; 08-29-2006 at 11:04 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2006, 12:21 PM   #2
    Queenneeee
    (female)

Queenneeee HB UserQueenneeee HB User
    Re: Disk space: Standing vs. Laying Down?

Good question... I actually am being tested for the exact same thing so I am awaiting replies to your post also.. I sometimes wondered the same thing.....

Old 08-29-2006, 12:25 PM   #3
    Shorty39
    (female)

Shorty39 HB User

In my experience and what drs have pointed out from my xrays vs MRI. The space should be mostly all black and NOT coming past the bone(vertabrae). If you see any black that is not symetrical or looks like it is protruding out from the vertrabrae it would mean bulging or ruptured disk. Of course you might not be able to see the part that could be bulging going up into the vertabrae vertically. That would be Schmorls node. Usually doesn't cause a whole lot of pain but it can as years go by. Hope this helped. I'm just going by my MRI and what I've been told. Let us know what you find out.

Old 08-29-2006, 03:43 PM   #4
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

I cant say for sure, but I would think that sitting/standing causes alot more pressure on the spine than laying down - so then I would think that the pressure of sitting/standing might lessen the space between discs somewhat.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:49 PM   #5
    FUNKYHEADGIRL
    (female)

FUNKYHEADGIRL HB User

I have the same problem. I have alot of pain from sitting or standing, but its all relieved once I lay down. Kinda hard to find a job laying down! What do you do for relief when you can't lay down? My pain management Dr just decided to quit giving me meds so now I'm screwed!

Old 08-29-2006, 10:41 PM   #6
    pooby
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User

I have the opposite problem. When I lie down on either side my pain intensifies. I lie on my back to relieve it. So guess what they have me lying on my side for the mri. The position that I get the most relief in.

Don't have the results yet but have to wonder if it is going to show what is causing my positional pain. Neurosurgeon thinks I have arachnoiditis and that is directly related to my long ago fusion. I had two myleograms done years ago with the dye that is now considered unsafe to use. If he is correct surgery is out of the question.

I just hope that they can determine what exactly is going on.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:14 AM   #7
    webdude
    (male)

webdude HB User

Hi Funkyheadgirl... So, your Dr stopped giving you meds... So what has he planned for you now? If the meds werent working, perhaps he should try new meds..

Some people try inversion tables or DRX-9000 traction machine which can help by stretching the spine and relieving some pressure.. Also, excercise to strengthen core muscles will reduce load on spine... Also, you may need to find an back-friendly chair so that you can at least sit for 30 minutes, move around and sit again and so on..

God Bless

Mo

Old 08-30-2006, 08:48 AM   #8
    sbbo

sbbo HB User

Hi Funkyheadgirl,

Gosh - I can't imagine having your pain doc just give up on you. Sorry to hear that.

Actually... my pain is at its worst sitting, less standing, even less if I'm moving and best if I'm laying down. Yeah... you're right. No job lets you lay down.

For quite a while I was researching desks that I would let me stand while working. They were expensive. I almost requested one until I got my ESI, things have settled down a bit, but I can still feel the pain in there sneaking around. Even then, the whole epidural thing felt like they were kind of guessing. Every thing they're doing is based off of the MRI, not the x-rays. Anyhow, before the ESI, I would get up and walk every 10 minutes or so. Of course when I'm walking around it looks like I'm not working, not good for my job performance review.

I also had an inversion table for a while - it didn't help me much, BUT... I'm actually looking for an orthopod. It's a different feel and I get a better stretch.

Good luck.

Old 08-30-2006, 09:02 PM   #9
    FUNKYHEADGIRL
    (female)

FUNKYHEADGIRL HB User

My dr just decided he isn't giving out meds anymore - only doing surgeries. I am not bad anough or in need if surgery so he is sending me back to my family dr to help. But thats the dr who sent me to him because they didnt know what to do for me anymore! I'm having a hard time finding a dr that will give meds now - they just all act like we're just out for the drugs. I knew getting help for a year was too good to last and now i may have to wean myself off my meds and just live with the pain. Sucks, huh?!

Old 09-01-2006, 10:22 AM   #10
    webdude
    (male)

webdude HB User

No way... If you are in pain, and are in need of pain meds, how can they just refuse??? You need to find a good pain management facility that can help you... SOme folk are on meds for years and years because they have no other choice... So dont just let them send you off to suffer..!!

Mo

Old 09-01-2006, 12:33 PM   #11
    carol632
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carol632 HB User

Actually, there is a fairly new MRI that takes pictures while you are standing, sitting and lying down. It is true indeed, that tho your MRI may be neg in one position, in another it may show a problem. I think it is called a "standing MRI"...I will try to find out for you.

Carol
    morphine pump

Closed Thread