It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Arachnoiditis Anyone Else?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-02-2006, 08:34 PM   #1
    pooby
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User
    Arachnoiditis Anyone Else?

My neurologist tells me he thinks I have arachnoiditis that can be associated with fusion patients. Also I had two myleograms that were done years ago when the dye they used is suspected as being the cause of adhesive arachnoiditis (severe type). If you are having a myleogram make sure they are not using this older type dye.

Has anyone else been diagnosed with this condition? My fusion is 24 years old but for the last 18 years I have suffered with nerve pain. The last two years have been horrendous. I am currently being switched from neurontin to Lyrica. I have read that a lot of cases of non union are suspected to be due to arachnoiditis. My fusion is a solid one. Arachnoid one of the membranes that cover the spinal cord and brain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2006, 09:19 PM   #2
    Justoneofus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Justoneofus HB User
    Re: Arachnoiditis Anyone Else?

Oh my Pooby, I hope your doctor's "thinking" is incorrect. I have never heard of this. Since I read your post.. I did some reading on this horrible disease. I hope that you do not have this. There is no good news to say about this disease. I even read that perservatives in epidural steroid injections are also suspect in causing this. Also spinal infections, etc. I am speechless Pooby. What type of testing will they do to determine if you have this or not?

You are indeed in my thoughts. All the best to you. Tammy

Old 09-02-2006, 10:21 PM   #3
    pooby
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User

He hasn't seen my mri yet and he does find it unusual that I would have such a sudden severe increase of symptoms. I did question him on that and he said he has to see the MRI. Of course I could have two problems going on. I believe that it probably is a localized type of arachnoiditis as the adhesive type is terrible.

There is no real treatment other than pain management. I had heard of the condition prior to this but had discounted it as not applying to me so it kind of set me back when he dictated his notes in front of me and he said that most likely I had it. I was very upset when I got home but then with further research I did find out that it can be localized and I pray that if in fact I have it, it is the localized type. So now there is nothing I can do but wait until the MRI report becomes available.

You are right about even the steroid injections being suspect. Goes to show you sometimes no matter how educated and knowledgeable your doctor is they can still do you harm unknowingly.

Old 09-02-2006, 10:49 PM   #4
    Justoneofus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Justoneofus HB User

Well if you are diagnosed as such, I too hope it's minimal as possible. You sound like you are hangin in there well. I am glad to see that. Let me know when you get to hear from your doc.

All the best to you. Tammy

Closed Thread