It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Dynesys-- Flexible rods

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-13-2006, 11:56 PM   #1
    IUfan
    (male)

IUfan HB User
    Question Dynesys-- Flexible rods

Hey all. A couple of months ago I posted a thread about the system, Dynesys. I didn't get any replies and I thought maybe the point of the post was overlooked by questions I asked at the end of it. So let me try again and I'll try to be more to the point.

I had Charite` artificial discs put in at L4-5 and L5-S1 on April 1st last year. I got to go back to work for 6 months before I started having problems again. My spine surgeon says that it is the facet joints that are torn and so I have lost the stability of the L5 vertebra causing excruciating pain in my low back, buttocks and legs to my feet. I haven't worked since early Jan and rarely go out of my apartment because it is so painful to walk or drive. I live alone though so I have to do for myself. My spine dr has proposed installing the Dynesys rods to take the pressure off of the facet joints. And while I won't be able to return to my job I will get to do things that I can't do now. I am in a lot of pain and want to get off pain meds. But I can't find any data on this Dynesys system and when I saw my spine dr Mon. he said that there isn't any data that he had available for situations like mine, though he is going to attend the Spine Surgeons National Society conference this week and he would inquire with other surgeons there about their experience with this system. I'm a special case with extenuating circumstances... not quite the way I wanted to be considered "special".

Anyway, if any of you have had this done or if you know of anyone who had this done could you please let me know how it has affected the quality of life for yourself or others. Thanks a whole bunch and I appreciate any insight that is offered. It's getting tough just sitting/laying here day after day after day. Thank goodness they have me on Elavil. My best to all.

Charlie

Last edited by IUfan; 09-13-2006 at 11:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2006, 05:37 AM   #2
    go*big*red
    (female)

go*big*red HB User
    Re: Dynesys-- Flexible rods

Hi, Charlie

I'm a NU fan myself. ANYWAY, I am scheduling a 2 level Dynesys as soon as the ins. company approves. It's the same code as a fusion.

I'm excited about it (I think). I was denied the ADR from 2 different ins. companies as "experimental" because of the multiple levels and a previous fusion etc.

I'll be interested to see if anyone responds as this is a relatively new procedure. What you might want to do is ask your surgeon to get names of pts from other surgeons so you can call them. Has he done any himself? My surgeon has done many and I've talked to several of his pts, all with rave reviews.

Has he talked to you about the facet prosthesis that's now available (I think only - again - in europe at this juncture, though).

Good luck and I hope you get good relief.
    10/10/06 PLIF L4/5, Dynesys L3/4

Old 09-14-2006, 06:37 AM   #3
    momzworkin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

momzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB User

I didn't know what this was so I looked it up and found the developing company (edited out) (not an advertisement-just info about how it works). It sounds like it makes alot of sense but I would be wary of having an inexperienced doctor do (the web site even worns of that!)

Hope it helps,
    Blessings,
    Michelle

Last edited by momzworkin; 09-23-2006 at 09:14 PM.

Old 09-14-2006, 08:03 AM   #4
    Shorty39
    (female)

Shorty39 HB User

About 1 month ago there was a PGA here asking for posts on this procedure. He said his doctor was going to do this procedure on him because the doctor felt that if he wanted to continue to play professional golf that the Dynesys procedure would benefit him the best as far as mobility. The regular spinal fusion of those levels would not to very mobile and the Dynesys would provide a little more movement and flexibility for him. Thats really all I know about this procedure and I looked it up from a website that he had in his post. Best of luck and flexibility. Let us hear how things are going in you situtation. Take care and your likely to get more posts soon.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-17-2014 at 05:23 PM.

Old 09-15-2006, 06:26 AM   #5
    go*big*red
    (female)

go*big*red HB User

***** bumping this up *****

Old 09-21-2006, 04:06 PM   #6
    IUfan
    (male)

IUfan HB User

Thanks very much big red, michelle and shorty ! I spoke to my spine surgeon and he told me that there wasn't any substantial data available because the procedure was so new here in the US. And he said that I was a "special" case because I have the Charite`s at dual level, (not quite the way I wanted to be considered "special"). He was going to attend the Spine Surgeon Society convention something or other and he was going to talk with other doctors that he knew to get some insight from them regarding me and how the Dynesys might apply to someone in my predicament. I will see him again in late Oct. For my part it is the lesser of the evils available to me. If it gets me off of the pain med regimen that I am on now all the better. I appreciate the feedback. Big Red I am looking forward to hearing about your experience. Best of health to all !!

Charlie

Old 09-22-2006, 02:46 AM   #7
    dab1
    (female)

dab1 HB User

Hi, I have DDD of L4 & L5 and survive on Co-codamol & Amyltriptylene. My consultant has advised me to have the Dyneys proceedure as fusion would not work on a two level disc problem.

Sadly I have to go on the NHS waiting list as Dynesys is still not a registered proceedure with my insurance company (BUPA) as they are still waiting for the trials to be done on it.(Strange that it takes so long as the operations have been performed in England for over 10 years!) One theory is that the op. is too expensive & that is why many insurance companies are holding back on it.

Anyhow, I have not heard much on the success rate but I am willing to give it a go if there's a chance that it's going to give me a better quality of life than I have now.

Old 09-22-2006, 09:48 PM   #8
    Justoneofus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Justoneofus HB User

I have a friend that just had it done on the lower lumbar. As soon as I hear from him.. I will share what he says with all of you. He has this done about 3 weeks ago, but haven't seen him online since he got home.

Hopefully I will have some news to share with you soon.

Tammy

Old 09-23-2006, 02:04 PM   #9
    jensenbk
    (male)

jensenbk HB User

First of all my Dr. told me he couldn't do disc replacement because it wasn't ok'd for two level surgery only one level. So we are going to do the dynesys stabilization it is called or as my Dr. referred to it as pre-fusion. [[COLOR="DarkRed"]removed[/COLOR]]

Last edited by HBMod07; 09-23-2006 at 07:30 PM.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:16 PM   #10
    Twinkletwinkle
    (female)

Twinkletwinkle HB User

Hi
    I had dynesys stabilisation two weeks ago through BUPA. They initially refused to pay but after a week of frantic phone calls and emails, they relented and agreed to pay the cost equal to that of spinal fusion. We did have a balance to pay but this wasnt too bad as it meant I was able to have surgery the following day. Things are going so well now. The day after surgery I was up and about altho very sore! I feel progress is made on a daily basis, and altho I need to be careful not to overdo it, I can already move around far more easily than before, have only a little back pain, take far less pain relief than I have needed for a very long time and have driven the car today. Unfortunately cooking washing and ironing are also now possible! Keep trying with BUPA if not yet successful. Dynesys has changed my life already.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:26 AM   #11
    da_brown3
    (female)

da_brown3 HB User

Please make sure you do your research. I had Dynesis on L3-S1 in October of 2005. It has been a nightmare with nothing but problems. Dynesis has been used in Australia for the past 25yrs however it was just FDA approved in January of 2005. I have had a lot of extra issues that I did not have before surgery. I definately would not recommend Dynesis to anyone. The long term has not been good so far. My recovery started out very good also but it turned sour t about two and a half months. Good luck and let us kow what you find out. By the way, my insurace paid for it with no issues now I wish they would have denied the procedure. My life quality is worse now than before.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:33 AM   #12
    tsohl
    Inactive
    (female)

tsohl HB User

Would you mind elaborating on your problems since having this surgery? Are they caused from the procedure or would it have been the same if you'd had a "regular" fusion?

Old 12-13-2006, 12:24 PM   #13
    go*big*red
    (female)

go*big*red HB User

Gosh, Ann

I'm sure sorry to hear that! My surgery (to save you going back to look and/or remember) was on 10/10/06. I had a 2 level done with a fixed PLIF at L4/5 using the dynesys hardware, though and a cage, and then just dynesys at L3/4 for stabilization.

Yes, could you please elaborate on your additional problems. Are they nerve related or what, do you know? Right now I can't travel in a car for more than 10-15 minutes without being in horrible pain from nerves running down my right leg. Same place as prior to the surgery, but worse and also one new spot at the outside of my right calf.

Okay, now my golden retriever, Duke is leaning his ever so heavy head on my left hand telling me it's an emergency - HE MUST GO OUT!

Looking forward to hearing from you. Also, twinkletwinkle, good to hear your feeling so good! Keep up the good work.

Old 12-14-2006, 05:52 PM   #14
    clover60
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

clover60 HB User

Thanks so much for posting this. My Dr. wants to do this procedure on me. He also said that another brand just came out and was FDA approved. He stated that if this does not work then we still have the option of the fusion. My disk is in bad shape but not bad enough for a fusion right now. I have bilateral pars and he thinks this will stablize the spine. I am still able to work and have a somewhat normal life with the pain meds. He said when I felt I could not take it any more then we would do the surgery. Gives me enough time to do some research. But thanks for posting the info I found it interesting.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:33 AM   #15
    da_brown3
    (female)

da_brown3 HB User

Yes, I will give you details. The surgery puts the rods too close to nerves when it involves the lower lumbar area. My syciatic nerve was hit on both sides (which I never had syciatic nerve problems before hand) and now I fall when my pain goes down both sides at the same time (lt me remind you I am 35). I told my husband (since he's a volunteer firefighter) that he had better be the one to help me get up when I fall because I refuse to call EMS for lifting assistance. I also lost most ability to lift my left leg. I have to litterally lift my leg manually every time I get in and out of my car. My pain in my lower back is to the point of not being able to take it much longer and is much more intense than before the surgery. I though the pain level before surgery was at a constant 10 but after surgery it is way off the scale. I didn't think that was possible.

My upper back is now getting weaker and I was gaining a lot of weight due to not being able to excercise much anymore. The only therapy that felt half way good was when I was in Aquatherapy but that doesn't last long and land based therapy is excruitiating. The doctor has prescribed more therapy for me recently but I am petrified of it inflamming it even more after all the results so far have not been good. I have not talked to anyone yet who has had this done and had good results.

Please make sure you research everything and are willing to live with all results good and bad. Don't wxpect your doctor to tell you the truth about the side effects, I know mine didn't tell me everything. They are just too excited to be able to get this procedure under their belt.

Let me know what yo decide.
    Ann

Closed Thread