It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Am I really stupid or does this Mylogram result sound stupid to you too ??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-14-2006, 08:11 PM   #1
    Queenneeee
    (female)

Queenneeee HB UserQueenneeee HB User
    Question Am I really stupid or does this Mylogram result sound stupid to you too ??

HI all !! I am once again begging for someone on here to help me understand something. I had an x-ray a month ago and my original spinal fusion surgeon told me my fusion is good but right above it my disc was 'gone'. He in turn ordered a Mylogram (my most dreaded test) to be done. I was so so scared however I was one of the lucky ones and my mylogram was totally painfree. Well yesterday I received the results. This makes no sense to me ....Quote "your one disc is degenerating and that is what the pain if from ...once the disc becomes stabile the pain will go away..." hmmm I don't understand..first with x-rays he said the disc was 'gone' now he says it is not stabile but it willl be and I will be 'painfree' then......Please does this make sense to ANYONE ?? If this was not done by a very qualified and extremely excellant surgeon who apsolutely did a perfect job on my spinal fusion in 2000, I would chalk this result of his up as just another quack doctor who doesn't know what he is talking about. My entire family does not understand his prognosses of 'once the disc is stabile then you will be painfree. ..Anyone out there think this is possible...all replies will be grately appreciated !!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2006, 08:38 PM   #2
    lfoster21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lfoster21 HB User
    Wink Re: Am I really stupid or does this Mylogram result sound stupid to you too ??

I don't know if this is your case, but I know that prior to having my fusion my spine was "instable" and I was told that was the cause of the pain (I think some of it was from the slipped discs that were rubbing against each other, for me. The fusion, which is what would stablize everything, would hopfully easy up on the pain. Once the fusion failed, I was once again "instable" and in pain. This time it was the rubbing of the vertabraes as well as the screws moving around.

So, I can see how the instable spine would cause pain and then would be pain free (or less pain) with the stabnlization. As far as your Dr. saying the the disc above is "gone" and the film interpretation saying it was degenerating...it is understandable that you would get both of those ideas. First, each of the films (xray and Mylogram show things differently. some types of films show certain problems clearer than others, and with 2 different people reading each...they really could be saying the same thing in different wording. Also, I have been reminded that the interpretation on the radiology reports are not always accurated. The Dr. that specializes in the spine is the best person to interpret the report.

I hope that helps,
    Lorie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-14-2006, 10:15 PM   #3
    Queenneeee
    (female)

Re: Am I really stupid or does this Mylogram result sound stupid to you too ??

thank you for your reply and trying to help. I do agree and understand about the 'unstable spine' . I had that before my fusion surgery in 2000. What I don't understand is my spinal surgeon read my x-rays and then ordered and read this last mylogram that I had . The part I don't understand is if my disc is 'unstable' he said with time it will 'settle down' and then I will be painfree. Just how does an unstable disc 'settle down' ?? Also is it possible to only have ONE degenerated disc ?? Does that mean I have degenerated disc desease ?? I really have faith in this surgeon but his diagnosis just still doesn't make sense to me. I have alot of pain in my lower back, no numbness or pain in legs however I hear and feel a 'clicking' in my spine. Funny thing is I went to my doctor because of my other ailment and just thought maybe the other ailment was making my back hurt ( I am being treated for a pelvis disorder , I have no cartlidge between my pubic bones).....just by chance he said let's do an x-ray of your spine (all was good last Nov with last x-ray of spine) and it showed no disc at all so he started having me have testing again. I just don't understand how my disc will stablilize itself. If anyone can give any insight I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:26 AM   #4
    sandim
    Inactive
    (female)

sandim HB User

I am waiting to find out the results of my myelogram as well. Will find out later on today. ( we both had them on the same day) Anyway, no , what he said does not make sense. At least in my opinion. I would ask for a copy of the report from the myelogram and CT scan and see what it says for myself. That is what I plan to do later on today. If he is planning another operation then it might make sense, but to not elaborate does not.
    Good luck,
    Sandi

Old 09-15-2006, 06:22 AM   #5
    fusion723
    Inactive
    (male)

fusion723 HB User

Ditto,with respect to obtaining the reports.

Old 09-15-2006, 08:44 AM   #6
    Shorty39
    (female)

Shorty39 HB User

Queeneeeeeeeee Have you got a solid fusion yet? Have they told you have somewhat of a solid fusion? I'm thinking if you haven't quite fused yet then maybe he's saying that after a complete fusion and total stability that the other disk will calm down and you'll be painfree. IMO if you don't do anything to calm that disk down directly it just might not calm down. I know that on our spinal fusions the disks above the fusion are always likely to mess up. Thats what they worry about when they do fusions. Although you don't want to have your whole spine fused. Gotta start and stop somewhere. But anyway they worry about the ones especially on top of the fusion. Sounds like that might be the one your talking about and he's maybe waiting for you to completely fuse inhopes your pain on the disk right above the fusion will relax enough for you to be painfree. Though I really hope thats the case, I'm abit leary. Its always hard to try and figure out what doctors are saying if we don't just point blank ask then and sometimes you don't get a straight answer then either. But I'm confident in you that you won't let this go long before you get your answers!!! How did you feel when the screw came loose and did or does that really pose an issue? I heard someone on here had one break off the other day but don't know what really happen. I wonder if that happens because of something we do and for goodness sakes WHY would they even come loose. Aren't they screwed in tight and shouldn't be moveable? I don't know guess I'm old school. Let us hear from you and keep hanging on. Sounds like you have a WONDERFUL support group.

Take care of yourself
    Patti

Old 09-15-2006, 09:51 AM   #7
    zeroman
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

zeroman HB User

[QUOTE=Queenneeee] The part I don't understand is if my disc is 'unstable' he said with time it will 'settle down' and then I will be painfree. Just how does an unstable disc 'settle down' ?? Also is it possible to only have ONE degenerated disc ?? Does that mean I have degenerated disc desease ?? [/QUOTE]

Im just guessing here but maybe its because the disc is "lopsided" right now and causing the vertibrae to slide out of position. once it "evens out" so to speak the vertibrae will be in its proper orientation.

it is possible to have DDD in one disc. its not always a disease, its more a condition that can be caused by age or trama. for example I was told I had DDD in two discs because of my fall from a ladder. only those two discs were affected, all others are normal.

Old 09-15-2006, 02:52 PM   #8
    Queenneeee
    (female)

Thanks to all of you for trying to help me understand what the 'heck' the doctor was talking about. I had my fusion in 2000 and all went well, no broken screws and fused quite quickly, I had 5 great wonderful painfree years!!.... I agree with all of you and will try to get my Mylogram results myself so that maybe I can understand what the 'heck' the doctor was talking about. It is just so depressing to have pain... go through all the testing... even my dreaded mylogram and be as totally lost and confused as before the extensive testing was done. My biggest question about what the doctor said was how can the degenerated disc miraculously stabilize itself and then I will be 'painfree' ?????? If anyone else can make sense of what my doctor said to me please inform me. Hang in there everyone and I will do the same .....

Closed Thread