It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

Z-COIL shoes?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-14-2006, 03:20 PM   #1
okie46
(female)

okie46 HB User
Z-COIL shoes?

Has anyone ever worn these shoes to help your back? I'm 1 year this month fusion surgery, got other disks messing up, so ready to try these shoes first, won't do surgery again, so open for opinions about these shoes. Saw 2 people with them at PM Dr last week and they swore by them. Hi and hope you are doing good Carol(confusedpatient) and Susiebird.........

OKIE46

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2006, 05:18 PM   #2
sheri42
(female)

sheri42 HB User
Re: Z-COIL shoes?

I have 3 family members that swear by them. 2 have back problems.
Sheri

Old 10-15-2006, 01:17 PM   #3
Susiebird
(female)

Susiebird HB User

Hey Okie! A few people at work swear by the zcoil steel toes (non-back problem people though) although I was always afraid to try them as I figured I'd wind up hanging upside down from the machinery. My chiro told me they also make them in running shoes but I can only imagine myself springing down the road too fast to stop with bone crunching, shoulder dislocating consequences.... I would bet they are like any other shoe in that some brands are better for narrow feet/high arches while others are geared towards wider feet/low arches etc ... I've personally never even tried them on though (and I still lust after those birkenstocks I was too cheap to buy over the summer!)

Old 10-16-2006, 06:38 AM   #4
okie46
(female)

okie46 HB User

Thanks for comeback
Hu Sue, good to hear from you. I do have narrow, high instep feet and these shoes are HEAVY they feel very different, probably not good around heavy equipment, but I'm just walking, all I do anymore, work is in the past and I'm sure in mourning because of it. It's something you get used to but find when not wearing them now my knees start hurting, but can walk futher and not have my back hurt so bad and feet burning problem is better with them. But I'm so NOT A GIRLIE girl that I'm afraid I'll have problems as they remind me of walking in heels which I've never done much of in my life, they are somewhat like boots. Our backs are the most important things in our lives right now you should have got those Birkenstocks, Sue, whatever helps. My back is falling apart, so have to do whatever. Hope you are doing OK, SHOULDER ANYWAY, are you running again yet? One year fusion surgery the 18th, been a rough year.. HI cAROL, MISS YOU BOTH, SUE.

okie46

Old 10-16-2006, 12:16 PM   #5
Susiebird
(female)

Susiebird HB User

Happy Anniversary! Hehe I have this vision of you bronco riding in heels . Sounds like the shoes are working for you. and hope it keeps up. I will consider the z-coil if I wind up there for a few more years-at the rate I'm going it's a possibility. I start PT tomorrow - no jogging - had my own mourning that was especially bad the week of the triathlon. OH well next year...

Old 10-17-2006, 08:08 AM   #6
okie46
(female)

okie46 HB User

Hi Everyone,
It is bad that with back problems we mourn what we used to do, that's part of getting old, I just wasn't ready for my life to be pretty much done, work is my life it's who I am, and I've dreamed of you and your triathion Sue, you were my hero but s--- happens just wonder why us sometimes. I really was in a lot of pain yesterday, they said give the shoes a chance, better be a better day with them today, I give everything 7 days and that's it, time running out here.HA How is your shoulder Sue, how is work? Miss you all..

OKIE46

Old 10-17-2006, 08:50 AM   #7
tiff-cher
Veteran
(female)

tiff-cher HB User

I have had back problems for the last 10 years, I have had several rounds of PT and one surgery. In 2005 I bought some Z-Coils..... they kept me out of another round of PT! I would say they have been a life saver. They help my lower back and I can tell when I haven't worn them. I just wear them to work, so after the weekend is over my back bothers me....Now I have upper back problems, I wish they would help me there too
They make running shoes, hiking boots, mary janes all kinds.
But yes, they do help!!!! tiff-cher

Last edited by tiff-cher; 10-17-2006 at 08:50 AM.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:35 AM   #8
okie46
(female)

okie46 HB User

tHANKS FOR COMEBACK,
Have to admit, walked without them this morning, got to see what is hurting me so bad. I've had 3 bad days, back is hurting so bad. Will try tomorrow, see how they go.
Okie 46

Old 10-18-2006, 12:52 PM   #9
StephM
(female)

StephM HB User

I live in Albuquerque NM: home of the ZCoils. Everyone wears them here. Before I was diagnosed with Spondy and had my fusion, I wore them to try and help the pain in my back. Unfortunately, for me, the weight of the shoes caused more strain on my back at the time.

I haven't tried them since the surgery (3/06), but really that's because I can only tolerate my UGG boots due to the nerve burning pain in my feet. The weight of the ZCoils still scares me, though.

I guess it depends on your particular back, whether or not they'll help. Sorry if this reply wasn't much aid to you.

Good luck!
Stephanie

Old 10-30-2006, 06:25 AM   #10
okie46
(female)

okie46 HB User

Hi All,
Well these shoes seem to ease lower back SOME where the fusion was done, BUT they seem to hurt anterior, my infamous stomach pain, which finally was decided was a surgery hernia, anyway the shoes seem to make it worse and my mid back SEEMS to be worse after a day of wearing them. NOW that said, I'm still trying them, they say you have to get used to them, but my back is SOOO bacd, not sure anything would help The PM DR increased the doseage of percocet to 10 mg and then still take a soma at bedtime, so looks like a life of medicine.
Carol, Sue.....................MISS YOU,,,think of you all the time

OKIE46

Old 10-30-2006, 09:43 AM   #11
tiff-cher
Veteran
(female)

tiff-cher HB User

Yes Okie
I Understand What You Are Talking About....they Don't Fix All Of The Pain, But They Have Kept Me Sane For The Last Year. I Do Also Understand What You Mean About A Lifetime Of Medication...
Tc

Last edited by tiff-cher; 10-30-2006 at 09:44 AM.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:34 PM   #12
Susiebird
(female)

Susiebird HB User

Hi all Mary Janes and sandals, how wild is that? Closest store to here is about 60 miles but for those prices, you can bet I'd make the drive for a proper fitting. I will give them a shot if I get sent back to the plant as the last 2 weeks of my temporary assignment were spent walking a lot and the concrete was not kind to my lower back (it's a huge plant and travel between buildings is usually done by tricycle, but that is a banned activity for me ) Sorry to hear about the increase in drugs for everyone - yes I'm trying to accept it as a fact of the condition (although our plant doc almost had a cow when I told him how "much" I'm taking --which compared to a lot here, isn't really that much). One of these days, we'll find that magic combo that allows us to lead a normal life..
Been wondering how everyone is doing; haven't spent much time on here lately. Take care - miss y'all....susiebird.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:21 AM   #13
okie46
(female)

okie46 HB User

Hi Everyone,
Just a note to let you all know how these shoes are doing, I have to say I'm not getting used to them My chiroprator says that once your back is altered, as mine has been with 4 surgeries, that the shoes can't accomodate for your different spine, he siad our backs are very different after surgery, so the shoes would help more people trying to avoid surgery than us,,err me Anyway, will try to hit e-bay with high dollar shoes for sale I guess.
Must say, it now 1 year since fusion surgery, somedays my back is ?OK? BUT stomach will never be good again from anterior incision, don't want to scare off anyone, guess I'm the rare one that the stomach will always be hurting, never did before, fusion worked but still have my days and will forever be on pain meds.........Still I have a good family and do have those few good days.Life is good Miss you all...Hi Sue and Carol................

Okie 46

Closed Thread