It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

questions about fusion/lyrica

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-20-2006, 05:21 AM   #1
lhines
(female)

lhines HB User
questions about fusion/lyrica

Hi there, I am new here. My 61 year old mother is 10 days post op 3 level fusion L4-5 S1 with rods ,screws and a decompression. She hurts to sit more than an hour or 2. Is this normal. And I am wondering about the Lyrica 50mg she is on. It is making her so tired, lethargic really. However she hardly has to take any other pain meds. Is it normal for her to just lay in bed for so many hours a day. She gets worn out just making a lap around the house. Normal?? Will the Lyrica eventually stop making her so drousy? Lots of leg pain in opposite leg. Is this okay? Please help. Thanks worried daughter.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2006, 05:42 AM   #2
momzworkin
Senior Veteran
(female)

momzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB User
Re: questions about fusion/lyrica

Yes she sounds normal. I had two level fusion in July and was not supposed to sit in a chair more than 30-60 minutes. I got worn out too the first couple of weeks. I still get worn out! My surgeon said this kind of thing is a MAJOR operation likening it to heart surgery. He said lots of people have "proceedures" in the hospital but this is much more damaging to the body. Her nerves got moved around while they were operating on top of being compressed before the surgery. They take a LONG time to heal completely. I also had symptoms in both legs after the operation but my left leg calmed down within a month of it. My right is still aching sometimes but I also take 2400mg of Neurontin for nerve pain at night. It will make her groggy but she needs to take it easy and do a lot of laying down the first several weeks. I got up to walk around the house, walk to the mailbox, take dishes to the sink, take a shower(every other day-it EALLY wore me out).It will be at least 3 months before you know if there is a fusion going on so it is very inportant she not bend,lift ot twist and compromise the hell she has already been thru. You really have no idea how much it hurts till the meds wear off. Be patient with her. I hope she can read some of the messages posted on the boards and find out she has support from us also. Thanks for being there for her! My Mom stayed almost 4 weeks to help me.
God Bless!!!!
Michelle

Old 10-20-2006, 06:32 AM   #3
shawley
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Don't worry she's fine as expected , I believe in Lyrica it works well for my leg and feet pain..I didn't notice how well it worked till I stopped them.
Hope she starts getting better. [QUOTE=lhines]Hi there, I am new here. My 61 year old mother is 10 days post op 3 level fusion L4-5 S1 with rods ,screws and a decompression. She hurts to sit more than an hour or 2. Is this normal. And I am wondering about the Lyrica 50mg she is on. It is making her so tired, lethargic really. However she hardly has to take any other pain meds. Is it normal for her to just lay in bed for so many hours a day. She gets worn out just making a lap around the house. Normal?? Will the Lyrica eventually stop making her so drousy? Lots of leg pain in opposite leg. Is this okay? Please help. Thanks worried daughter.[/QUOTE]

Old 10-21-2006, 02:19 AM   #4
Lindaanne
(female)

Lindaanne HB User

.How long have you been on the lyrica? I have terrible pain/neuropathy in my feet and I'm hesistant to start Lyrica. I read about it being addictive. Can you help me out with this? Thanks.

Old 10-21-2006, 11:09 AM   #5
lhines
(female)

lhines HB User

Hi there, my mom has only been on the Lyrica for a week, but it has helped her pain tremendously, but it makes her extremely tired. Sleeping most of the day, but is a side effect that is supposed to get much better the longer you are on it. I am not sure about the addiction, but it is NOT a narcotic, so that is good. But it is very expensive. Sorry can't help more. Good Luck.

Old 10-21-2006, 02:17 PM   #6
Justoneofus
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User
Talking Re: questions about fusion/lyrica

Hi, your mom's symptoms are VERY NORMAL! The fact she can sit that long is nothing short of incredible! I am 45 and my fusion of 6mos ago, I couldnt sit for more than 25 mins without having to get up and move. It was just too painful otherwise. The Lyrica will knock the socks off of anyone for awhile until your body adjusts. And a very common side effect also is confusion and memory loss a bit. This levels off after awhile, but still expect little episodes from it. The medication may have to be increased with time to get the right dosage for her to help get that nerve pain under control in her legs. Look for adverse reactions per the label. I am one of those that severely reacted to the med and can not take it. MANY MANY get a great benefit from this med. Sounds like she's tolerating well so far, just the usual tiredness.

This surgery in itself just sucks the energy from us. I too would get up and move about very little in the house and wasn't long before I was again ready for a short nap!

Your mom is sounding very normal. Glad she has a loving and attentive daughter to help her. I bow to you! Take care and come back and let us know how your mom and you are fairing. Tammy

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 10-21-2006, 03:25 PM   #7
pooby
Senior Veteran
(female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User

I take 150 mg in the morning and 150 mg of lyrica at night. 50 mg would do nothing for me. Matter of fact 150mg a day didn't help. The 300 mg is definately helping to cut down the pain.

I was previously on Neurontin 1600mg for a year but the side effect of drowsiness and dizziness did not allow me to take it during the day. Because I was on Neurontin for so long I did not experience any side effects with Lyrica. Lyrica has less side effects and is more potent than Neurontin. Lyrica is not a narcotic and it is not addictive and that is one of the reasons doctors do not hesitate to prescribe it for nerve related pain.

Ten days recovery is very early in recovery and I think that you may be expecting too much from your Mom. Naturally she is tired and can't do much she has had a major assault on her body. Nerves take time to heal and I am talking months not days or weeks.

Years ago I had a 2 level fusion and ended up spending 3 weeks in hospital so ten days seems like a pretty short time to me. It took a full year for the muscle spasm to leave my back. Hope that your mom starts to feel stronger with each passing day.

Old 10-21-2006, 06:50 PM   #8
michellev1970
(female)

michellev1970 HB Usermichellev1970 HB Usermichellev1970 HB Usermichellev1970 HB User

[QUOTE=Lindaanne].How long have you been on the lyrica? I have terrible pain/neuropathy in my feet and I'm hesistant to start Lyrica. I read about it being addictive. Can you help me out with this? Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Lindaanne, I take 150mgs of Lyrica a day and it has helped me so much. I have leg pain that goes all the way down into my foot. Lyrica works very well on the nerve pain I am not sure about how addictive it is, I have been on it for about 8 months and have had no problems with it at all. I wish you luck.

lhines I wish your mom luck on her recovery she is lucky to have a daughter like you
Michelle

Old 10-21-2006, 09:51 PM   #9
lhines
(female)

lhines HB User

Tammy, thank you so much for your response. It really helps to here things like that. I cry all the time, because it is so hard to see my mom so disabled. Before the surgery she was in no pain as long as she sat around, no walking. Now all she can do is lay in bed. This is day 12 post op, and she does'nt look like she will be off the walker anytime soon, which scares me a lot. Her Dr. said 2 weeks max for a walker, and she is so weak I just do not know why he did'nt prepare us for this kind of recovery. And why did he say 2 weeks, because now my mom is like, why am I so weak. One side of her body is really weak and sometimes that left leg just goes out, so she absolutely needs the walker. I just wonder is all of this from the Lyrica? It is doing wonders for the pain, but she can not watch t.v. because her vision is so blurred, and she is so weak there is no way she could be alone . My mom is one of the strongest people I know, very high pain tolerance , does not like to take pain meds, so this is huge!! I am soooo worried about her I can hardly work. I hate to think she would have been better off not having the surgery. It makes me sick! Thanks so much. You have no idea how much so many of your stories have helped. God Bless! Lauree(lhines)

Old 10-22-2006, 07:49 AM   #10
BlueAtlas
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Hi Lauree,
Your mom is so blessed to have a daughter who is so concerned about her that you found this site. Thank you for loving your mom so well!

I will be four weeks post op tomorrow. I am 48, and I am still using my walker. Sometimes that's just the way it goes. For me, my blood pressure keeps going low and I get lightheaded and weak. I think I'd be fine without it for short distances, but both my surgeon and my GP told me that I have to keep using it until my blood pressure stabilizes. I was originally told that I would need it for about a week after I got home. That would have put me at 15 days post op, more than where your mom is at, so she's still very much in the normal range. At 61, though, your mom will have just a bit harder time recovering than someone younger. I wouldn't be too concerned about her still needing the walker at this point. If you talked to her doctor about it, my guess is that he would tell you that she just needs a little more time to get her strength back and not to worry. At 12 days, I was mostly just lying down all the time, getting up for short walks around the bedroom with the walker, use the bathroom, then lie right back down.

This is a huge surgery. It might be a couple more weeks yet, but she'll suddenly reach a point where she just turns a corner and you'll see a big improvement. Make sure she keeps up the pain meds. If she tries to brave it out and not take them, the pain will get ahead of her and she'll take backwards steps in her recovery. She'll heal more quickly if the pain is kept under control.

I'm sure your mom appreciates all your love and help. Make sure you take some time for yourself! You and she both need you to not burn out taking care of her!

You take care!
Emily

Old 10-22-2006, 10:15 PM   #11
Justoneofus
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

You are so welcome.. look at all the positive responses to your being such a good daughter.

We have the back pain, but it touches the lives of everyone we encounter as well, and our loved ones feel it the most (such as yourself). It hard to sit and watch your loved one in pain and powerless to take it away. It is a truly helpless feeling.

This back surgery is a dilly of a surgery. It's by far the hardest surgery I've ever had and, knock on the granite, hopefully that last. It's gonna take her some time to bounce back. The surgeons can only give us generalizations and each person is effected differently with healing times varying the same. You said your mom is normally a pretty tough gal to pain ,etc. and he may have based his best guestimate on that very same idea. I wouldn't beat him up too much about that.

The Lyrica.. is she just tired and dizzy or is she actually having problems seeing? If she has blurred vision, this can be problematic with her walking and I would discuss this with the doctor. The walker is very useful to her to give her some stability right now, and so long as she doesnt become dependent upon it and hamper her healing.. she may need it longer than expected.

Sleeping is a great healer and if your mom is comfortable and sleeping..let her sleep. The rest will do her some good moving forward into her healing. Eventually you will notice she will become more animated in the coming weeks, and you will begin to see your mom with less pain, more movement, and smiles. Continue to be patient and if you see anything out of the ordinary.. call the doctor right away. Back surgeons are VERY used to us fusion patients calling frequently in the first 1-8 weeks post surgery.

Don't lose yourself in this, it's important for you to take some time for you and relax some. when your mom is up to it, maybe you can show this site to her and might help her some. All the best to you. You take care. Tammy

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Closed Thread