It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

New to Forum - Advice Appreciated

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-21-2006, 05:45 PM   #1
luvmyjob
(female)

luvmyjob HB User
Question New to Forum - Advice Appreciated

Hi to Everyone,

I have always had low back pain but lately has presented with new symptoms since approx. August. I primarily have low back pain, radiates thru buttock down into anterior thigh and stops about the knee. The pain is uni and bilaterial at times, peri anal pressure off and on, pain is worse with standing and never goes away but is better with rest. I am not over weight so I know this isn't the problem. I had an MRI and this is the results:
* Fatty mass located at the right lateral aspect of the conus that slightly displaced cauda equina. The signal intensity of the lesion suggests that it is composed mainly of fat, however, appreciable enhancement. Diagnostic considerations would include a dermoid or a lipoma. An epidermoid would be considered less likely.

* Lumbar discogenic disease, predominantly confined to the L4-L5 and L5-S1 levels. There is mild central canal stenosis and bilateral foraminal stenosis at these levels.

I have seen a neurologist who thinks the mass is a lipoma and I probably have had this for a long time but he doesn't see a reason for the pain I am having? He wants a myelogram that of which I am to have on Tuesday.

I am looking for any advice or suggestions? I know I am not imagining this pain. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2006, 06:27 PM   #2
carol632
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User
Re: New to Forum - Advice Appreciated

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you are in so much pain and hope that you will be one of the fortunate ones who get the help they need.

If I were you, I would get at least 3 opinions about what should be done. I don't quite understand why the surgeon sees no reason for your pain. You have degenerated discs at 2 levels for sure, as well as a mass that is pushing on the Caudal Equina. I do hope this dr warned you to watch for signs of caudal equina syndrome....loss of control of bowel or bladder, or inability to pass your urine. If that happens it is an emergency and you need to go to the ER immediately.

As for the discogram, well, I think I would want to get a couple more opinions before having it done.

I also suggest that you do a lot of research; you can type in cauda equina syndrome, fatty lipoma, or any of the phrases to learn more about them. You should also do some research about lower back problems so that you can understand what is going on.

Please continue to post and let us know how things are coming along. Good luck to you.

Carol
morphine pump

Old 10-21-2006, 06:49 PM   #3
luvmyjob
(female)

luvmyjob HB User

Thanks Carol for your quick response. I do have an appt. with another neurosurgeon at KU Med for a second opinion. You helped me decide to get that opinion, so thanks for that.

I am aware of cauda equina syndrome and do stay alert for those symptoms. I am just surprised that the neurologist didn't seemed worried about the findings of the MRI. He made it sound like the findings were minimal and therefore couldn't justify my pain? I try and maybe think it will go away but it doesn't. The pain I also have in my flank can at times be very profound.

Once again, thanks for responding, your advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-22-2006, 09:55 PM   #4
Justoneofus
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

I agree with Carol completely. After the myleogram.. I would be also looking for a few more opinions. When doc says.. they dont see why you are in pain.. to me it's a hint to find a new doctor. (It's different if the doctor says it in a way of puzzlement with determination to find the reason though.)

Welcome to this site and come back and post and let us know how youare doing. Take care. Tammy

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Closed Thread