It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

PLEASE help me reduce major anxiety - big surgery friday 27th

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-25-2006, 08:25 AM   #1
beachgirl01
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User
PLEASE help me reduce major anxiety - big surgery friday 27th

HI all,

I have a big surgery this coming friday (27th) and I'm experiencing major anxiety. My doctor gave me lorazepam to try and take the edge off I guess but does anyone have any other way to offer that will help reduce/eliminate anxiety. I'm having a very hard time not crying 24/7. It's terrible.

PLEASE any suggestions are welcome. Thank you all very much. Beachgirl.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2006, 09:16 AM   #2
BlueAtlas
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
Re: PLEASE help me reduce major anxiety - big surgery friday 27th

Oh, beachgirl, been there, done that! I hope you're letting yourself go ahead and have that cry. It helps! Just let it all come out. Cry, cry, cry as long as your body will let you. Then get up and take some deep breaths, brush your teeth, wash your face, comb your hair, and take a little walk. Then ya just gotta try to get your mind on something else and not let yourself keep thinking about it. Immerse yourself in a book, go do some Christmas shopping (or do it online if you're not up to going out), write some e-mails to some friends but don't talk about your surgery -- focus just on them, rent some funny movies...

You will make it through the next two days. You're going to be fine! There are lots of us on here thinking about you and wishing for the best for you. You've given such good advice and support to so many people on the board, and I'm going to bring your own words back to you from another post: keep the big picture in view! You're at a very stressful and emotional point, but you're a strong person. You'll get through this, and you'll be an even stronger person for it. I'll be looking forward to reading your first post op post in a week or two. I prayed for you just now and will continue through your surgery. You hang in there and take care!

Blessings,
Emily

Old 10-25-2006, 10:43 AM   #3
elmoJ_1974
(female)

elmoJ_1974 HB User

I'm so sorry you are going thru this. Maybe try taking a bath(if you can get out). Listen to some music and light a candle. Nobody likes to have surgery but if you can think of the life that you will get back and all the things you'll be able to do and accomplish once you recover. It helps talking about it and no matter how much you don't want to cry anymore... It does help! I'm sure being stuck in the house all day doesn't help either. Shopping always works for me. Even if it's online!!! Feel Better! You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 10-25-2006, 10:51 AM   #4
sandie_a
(female)

sandie_a HB User

I'm so sorry you're facing this Beachgirl! It's so scary, I know. I agree with everything the other posters have suggested, and will just add maybe try and get outside for a bit, even if just to hangout in the sun with a magazine for a short spell (provided it's sunny wherever you are!!). Sunshine and nature always help lift my spirits.

Hang in there. Thinking of you!

Old 10-25-2006, 11:02 AM   #5
anxiousinnj
(female)

anxiousinnj HB User

Beachgirl,

I just wanted to tell you I will be praying for you to have a smooth, quick & successful recovery.
Take the anti anxiety med the doc gave you & blast some music that you love.
In your mind think of something you want to be doing a few months from now & focus on that. Think of things like- wow on New Years Eve the worst of this will be all behind me- that's not far away at all !

Where are you having your surgery ?
With all the support here you are going to do fine !!!!!!!

And I will be picking your brains before you know it because I am probably not far behind you.....yikes...

anxiousinnj

Old 10-25-2006, 11:39 AM   #6
anxiousinnj
(female)

anxiousinnj HB User

How are you doing beachgirl ?
I'll be here at my computer working for about an hour- so I'll check here if you need to talk.

anxiousinnj

Old 10-25-2006, 12:19 PM   #7
beachgirl01
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User

Hey all,

Thank you sooooo much, all of you. I really appreciate the support and the suggestions. I really think that this is the hardest part. I wish they could come up with a magic pill or something. I know it's not good going into surgery with all sorts of anxiety.

I'm in Canada and here's pretty cold here. There's no snow yet, where I am. And today it's decently nice out so I think I will go for a walk. Last night I was doing everything I could so that I didn't stop and sit down. I didn't even realize that I was doing it until my boyfriend pointed it out. It's so similar to the last time I went through this. RRRRRRRR, oh well I shouldn't complain. I should just focus on getting in there and getting it done. Who am I kidding, it's impossible!

Thanks again for everyones support. It really does help a lot.

Anxiousinnj - I doubt you are still on here but thanks for the offer. I am going to step outside for some fresh air. Maybe we'll chat later. Thanks so much.

Take care all. Beachgirl.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:34 PM   #8
kera4
Veteran
(female)

kera4 HB User

Dear Beachgirl, I have been through 4 knee surgeries, and I can totally relate to the anxiety the days before the surgery! I remember feeling like I was living in a different world than everyone else. Carrying all that stress and anxiety, while everyone else was just going about their day! The best advice I would have you are already doing-keeping busy and wrapping up loose ends. I always felt a little better, if I had tied up all the tasks that needed to be done before surgery. Don't worry about being anxious-I went into one knee surgery with a migraine headache! That surgery turned out just fine. Take care and good luck with everything. Kera

Old 10-25-2006, 06:15 PM   #9
zeroman
Senior Veteran
(male)

zeroman HB User

its normal to be keyed up before a surgery. just try and pass the time the best you know how. I didnt sleep the night before so I just grabbed a good book and read all night lol. waiting is the worse part, once its done its easier.. turned out my imagination was much worse than the actual surgery.

best of luck and Ill be praying for you

Old 10-25-2006, 08:44 PM   #10
momzworkin
Senior Veteran
(female)

momzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB User

Hi Beachgirl-
there is no possible way to forget what you have coming up. I spent as much time as I could getting myself and my house in order. I wore myself out(easy to do at that point!) but figured I'd being getting plenty of laying down time after surgery. I know you know what is coming up so just try to take a deep breath,and remember to thank God for guiding you to a good surgeon and having a support system and for liberal doses of painkillers!
I hope you had a wonderful walk today! When you see the details in each leaf, smell the crispness of autumn and sense the familiarity of the change of seasons I hope you see that when God can give this much attention to detail in these simple things how much more He will care for us-whom He created in His image. I am praying for you and everyone of my brothers and sisters here on the boards.
Blessings,
Michelle

Old 10-25-2006, 10:12 PM   #11
beachgirl01
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User

Thank you all again for the support. It really makes a difference. Right now my head is pounding. I am prone to migraines and headaches so it's no surprise, especially with all the stress.

Anyhow thanks again. I'm heading to bed and hopefully I will feel better tomorrow. Thanks all. Beachgirl.

Old 10-25-2006, 10:55 PM   #12
kdk819
(female)

kdk819 HB User

Beachgirl
SOOOOOO sorry for your anxiety. Remember, my surgery is right behind yours.(Nov.8th). You had so many good suggestions and kind words for me.
Please try and keep strong. I know you have been through this before, so I'm sure this is playing on your mind as well. Hope you got some sleep. I'll send a message tomorrow night. You'll be in my prayers tonight. Kathy

Old 10-26-2006, 05:21 AM   #13
girl 22
(female)

girl 22 HB User

Looking at the time this moment I'm guessing that you wont being seeing this site for awhile, but in 2 weeks or 3 months, whenever you are are looking at this site and have had your surgery, please feel free to ask me anything - I've been through it all and I have a wealth of information to share that I had to learn by going through it, and it would have been way easier on me if someone with experience had told me those things that I didn't even know to ask. It's really hard after surgery, but everyday you will notice a big impovement over the previous day, particularily for the first few months, so that's a plus!

Keep me updated.

Old 10-26-2006, 01:42 PM   #14
Baybreeze
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Beachgirl, I wish there was a sure-fire way for you not to be nervous...I was very nervous when I finally scheduled my surgery and thought I would a wreck the day before & day of....but surprisingly I wasnt nervous at all the day of. I don't know why, somehow the nervous & scared thoughts just left me and all I thought of was how my horrible pain will be gone afterwards.

So think only GOOD thoughts! You just have to think that after you're healed, your previous pain and discomfort will be gone..and believe me, it will be such a huge load off yourself. Yes it takes a while to recover but you'll get meds to help with that..and just think - the pain from the surgery itself will go away and you'll feel so much better than before - both physically and mentally! I was sooo happy that the day after surgery already, my stenosis pains were gone and I could stand up straight again....soooo happy about that, that I didn't even care about the pain from the incision. We'll all be praying for you.....just follow all their instructions, take it easy...and I know you will be okay!

Old 10-26-2006, 03:37 PM   #15
kdk819
(female)

kdk819 HB User

Well, tomorrow is your big day! Hopefully a change for the better. Keep positive. I'm sending you a big hug and you'll be in my prayers tonight. God bless. Kathy (kdk819)

Closed Thread