It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

Going back to work/school

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-27-2006, 04:22 AM   #1
girl 22
(female)

girl 22 HB User
Re: Spinal Fusion NEXT WEEK!

It's so weird to read everybody's "I was back to school/ work in 3 weeks!" stories, because they are not like my experience [I]at all[/I].

I had a an L5-L6 fusion, bone graph off hip, metal rods and screws and a wire cage. Incision through the back only. That was 2 years ago. I'm 22 and L4 has slipped forward and I need to get a 3rd level fussion with with front and back entry.

After my sugery I was in the hospital for 9 days. Vision was blurry for the first 5 days. It was 3 or 4 months before I could go for a short walk without my mom or dad beside me because up until that point my body felt unstable when I would walk, and I was afraid of fainting and paralysing my legs which would happen if my legs were brought higher than 90 degrees to my body before my vertabre had fused. Two weeks after sugery I fainted twice at a doctors appointment. Fortunatly the doctor caught me!

stud189 - I went back to university part time a year and 3 months after my surgery, which I found hard. Although I could bend and move my back by that time, it wasn't without pain. My back would hurt alot sitting in classes even with the pain meds I took. Pain [I]and [/I] pain medication can make it hard to think superclearly and critically, which [I]can[/I] be fine if you are hanging out with friends, but not if you have to understand concepts in school work, or contribute to class discussions.

This was the experience I had with a back entry 2 level fusion. I know that surgery with anterior and posterior entry, as well as 3 level fusion is more dfficult. I hope you recovery goes as smoothly as it can, as goes quickly! Please update me, here, on how things are going, as I could use your expertise for the post+anterior entry, 3 level fusion that I need. Also, I can tell you anything you need to know about recovering because I've already been through it once!

I can tell you stuff I wish someone had told me!

You are the youngest person besides me that I have come across with spondlylthesis. Which is cool, because even the somewhat young people with it tend to be married and have kids. Their experiences are still helpful, especially about physical recovery, but they are at a different place in their lives, so their day to day experiences are quite different than mine.

Sorry this looks so long! blaa

P.S. stud189 and Cancerhead - please keep me up to date on your 3 level fusions!!! I would be so thankful to have all the knowledge of your experiences since I'll have the same soon! As well as the physical, it would so great to talk here about going through something so major like this while being young, not a 50 year old who ran marathons most of his life. Being young with something like this is different.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2006, 04:56 AM   #2
shawley
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User
Re: Spinal Fusion NEXT WEEK!

I was told by 2 doctor's once the surgeon goes in from the front , he will never go back in that way because of scar tissue. I guess it's worse on your body because of the nerves around your stomach or somthing ??

girl22 , I was wandering why a woman who had babies or are older have different experiences than you , I'm 41 and I did everything I used to do when I was 20 yrs old , football / baseball ..ect..ect. Not now since my injury , now I act like an old man since my surgery..Guess age caught up with me..lol
Wishing you all a pain free day...

Old 10-27-2006, 04:22 PM   #3
caszyman
Senior Veteran
(female)

caszyman HB User
Re: Going back to work/school

Girl 22,
My daughter had a two level posterior fusion when she was 16 for spondylolisthesis. She returned to high school full time about 10 weeks after her surgery. Luckily, she didn't have the terrible recovery that you did. She was out of the hospital the fifth day and was off of pain meds by day ten. Her first two weeks were rotten, but she made it and began walking daily then.

I'm so sorry to hear that your next level has gone. That is my big fear with her. Her dr hopes that she may get 20 good years in, but you never know. You girls are way too young to have those sorts of problems. Best wishes and keep us posted as to how you are doing. cas

Closed Thread