It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

Doctor's Recommendations-2nd option-Spinal Cord Stimulator

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-29-2006, 07:28 PM   #1
NewLeaf
(female)

NewLeaf HB User
Doctor's Recommendations-2nd option-Spinal Cord Stimulator

I have 3 options, Replace my whole lumbar spine, that one is out because it would just cause more problems then what I already have, 2nd Spinal Cord Stumulator or Pain Management Clinic. I would like to find out about the Spinal Cord Stimulator? How does it work, it it another surgery to put it in? Thanks, NewLeaf

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2006, 10:48 PM   #2
Read66
(female)

Read66 HB User
Re: Doctor's Recommendations-2nd option-Spinal Cord Stimulator

I am going to be doing the trial for the neurostimulator.
The Neurostimulator sends mild electrical impulses to the spinal cord or to a peripheral nerve. The electrical impulses block pai signal from reaching the brain.
You will go through a trial period of 3-10 days where they will give you local anesthesia and place leads in your back. You have a programer you can adjust the stimulation levels during screening. You carry the programmer on a belt around your waist, it also has a pocket to hold cables. If the screening is successful in reducing your pain, you will then have a unit surgically put into your abdomen, hooked to leads into your spine. My understanding of it is that you are able to adjust it to your activities to get the best relief of pain. I believe the unit put into your abdomen is about the size of a hockey puck.

Your doctor should be able to give you a booklet on the trail and a dvd you can watch. Good Luck.
Barb

The Following User Says Thank You to Read66 For This Useful Post:
Sush1 (07-28-2011)
Old 10-30-2006, 07:36 AM   #3
FISHINGCHICK04
(female)

FISHINGCHICK04 HB User

Having scs trial today I will let u know what to expect

Old 10-30-2006, 08:34 AM   #4
shawley
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Great thread , I'm having the trial done in December . I'll be watching this thread so hope it's all positive.. Good Luck

Old 11-01-2006, 06:25 AM   #5
FISHINGCHICK04
(female)

FISHINGCHICK04 HB User

[QUOTE=FISHINGCHICK04]Having scs trial today I will let u know what to expect[/QUOTE]
Well it's Wednesday had the scs trail done Monday doctor said it was alot like epidural I'm really not to sure this hurt they start off like a epidural numb u the same but then the lead is put in and that hurts! after it is all over just sore I am thinking about getting real thing but they are going to have to put me to sleep I go Friday get this out and u have to wait until u heal then u can get the real thing the only thing bad about the trail is the lead is just floating so when u move u get differant stimlation

Old 11-03-2006, 05:14 AM   #6
shawley
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

That sound terrible..Youch ! I just read an article about the stim , said it was just a cover up that didn't provide a long term fix ? Now I'm having second thought about doing it . Dang computer , to much info on here..

Old 11-03-2006, 05:26 AM   #7
FISHINGCHICK04
(female)

FISHINGCHICK04 HB User

[QUOTE=shawley]That sound terrible..Youch ! I just read an article about the stim , said it was just a cover up that didn't provide a long term fix ? Now I'm having second thought about doing it . Dang computer , to much info on here..[/QUOTE]
shawley yes the doctor told me that too but so is pain meds Idon't see a cure for me after 3 surgries pain seems to be getting worse I'm a single mother and if I can get to a point were I can take one less pain med and do school thing with my daughter

Old 11-03-2006, 08:30 AM   #8
shawley
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

FISH , I feel for you , being a single parent and dealing with this . I had 3 surgeries to , And when and if I fuse this hardware is comming out.
I found my pain Med helps me cope with the pain , but don't take it away. I couldn't imagine being without them again. My Dr. wants to take them away and that ****'s me off ! Finally I get some tention knocked off and then they take it away ? Hope everything works out for you.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:45 AM   #9
HAGFAN
(male)

HAGFAN HB User

I had a trial stimulator put in a few months ago with not so good results. It seemed that when I turned the stimulator up high enough to cover my target area it was almost crippling. Far from the relief I was hoping for. Now, I just had a permanent stimulator put in. My doc thought he could get better coverage with bigger leads with the permanent implant. So he suggested to go ahead with the implant. So after surgery the "programmer lady" spent a hour and 1/2 trying to get coverage in my pain areas. No such luck, stim kept going into areas I did not need stimmed If you know what I mean. I need to back in a week to see if the swelling and bleeding and scar tissue and what ever else was causing the inability to cover my target areas. Needless to say at this point I am not impressed with this $100K implant.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:13 PM   #10
FISHINGCHICK04
(female)

FISHINGCHICK04 HB User

[QUOTE=HAGFAN]I had a trial stimulator put in a few months ago with not so good results. It seemed that when I turned the stimulator up high enough to cover my target area it was almost crippling. Far from the relief I was hoping for. Now, I just had a permanent stimulator put in. My doc thought he could get better coverage with bigger leads with the permanent implant. So he suggested to go ahead with the implant. So after surgery the "programmer lady" spent a hour and 1/2 trying to get coverage in my pain areas. No such luck, stim kept going into areas I did not need stimmed If you know what I mean. I need to back in a week to see if the swelling and bleeding and scar tissue and what ever else was causing the inability to cover my target areas. Needless to say at this point I am not impressed with this $100K implant.[/QUOTE]
Hagfan I am so sorry to hear u didn't get the rellief u were hoping for my doc also told me the permanent implant may work better 4 me now I don't know I have a spot on my thigh that did't get anything I got 35% to 40% pain relief but like u said it was almost criippling to get that much are u o.k now? swelling and bleeding is not good did u get any relief?

Old 11-03-2006, 08:04 PM   #11
NewLeaf
(female)

NewLeaf HB User

Thank you for all the responses on the scs, I have an appointment to discuss it with the doctor and will keep you updated, please also let me know how all of you that are going thus this are doing. NewLeaf

Old 11-05-2006, 08:22 AM   #12
HAGFAN
(male)

HAGFAN HB User

I need to back next week to get my perm. implant turned back on. I will fill you in then...

Old 11-05-2006, 09:03 AM   #13
FISHINGCHICK04
(female)

FISHINGCHICK04 HB User

hagfan please let me know how it goes for u I have 2 weeks to make up my mind about getting perm scs

Old 11-07-2006, 05:15 AM   #14
shawley
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

HAGFAN , Forgive me for being rude , but if the trial didn't work for you why would you get the permanent one ? Seem's like more pain for nothing

Old 02-19-2007, 08:58 AM   #15
HAGFAN
(male)

HAGFAN HB User

Well shawley, My doc thought he could get better coverage with the bigger leads then he used in the trial. Sorry I didn't post sooner then now. I had the stimulator turned back on and now it's been a few months with not so good results. The stim is still not covering my pain areas. If I lay a certin way and put my arms over my head...then I could see how this unit might help me, but when I stand and or walk around and do things the stim goes into areas that don't need to be stimmed, quite uncomfortable and unstable. It seems to me I get the stim in the outerskin/muscle type area, but my pain is deeper in the nerves. It's hard to explain... I I am going to meet with my rep to see if anything can be changed.

Closed Thread