It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

As good as it gets?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-30-2006, 06:17 PM   #1
Lady Phoenix
(female)

Lady Phoenix HB User
As good as it gets?

I am way beyond frustrated. In 1998 I had to have surgery on theL5-S1 area of my spine...not even a few months after, I was involved in a car accident and re-injured the area...that was the good news. I was in a burn unit for a month then two more months learning how to walk again. My burns were so extensive they didnt even bother to address my back pain and at the time the pain medication kept the majority of it masked. After a year and a half it had to be addressed and once again I had to have another lamenectomy at L5-S1. My surgeon told me right away 3 was my lucky number...he said "you realize if I have to go in again we have to put a fixture in?" I said "I know". About a yr and half after this surgery I was in Europe and had to have surgery number 3...but they did not put in a fixture. 3 weeks later (2003) I was in my 2 bad car accident that involved the vehicle I was in as a passenger, flipped end over end with the top down. Now I had fractures at C6-C7 with a prolapsed disc in between and bone fragments. After a COUPLE of months they decided it was urgent to fix this...they went in and put a fixture. I was left with a numb right index finger....btw....still is. This second car accident re-injured my back again and I had to have operation 4 & 5 they were 3 weeks apart. They put a fixture in front and back to repair an instability in my low back. I have numbness/burning in my toes on my left leg....still. 2006 I slipped between my carpeted floor and a newly waxed kitchen floor. My feet went out from under me all at once. Since then I have had pain in the middle of my back with what feels like electric/crawling sensation. A good night is if I sleep 3 hours. My primary care physician referred me to a Pain/spine clinic. My first visit was a consultation and the second visit was for a lovely needle in my back to administer a steroid injection. I got really sick afterwards with my pain escalating into a migraine and I ended up using/throwing up more of my medication than I was suppose to use. Granted my amount of medication is higher than the normal person due to all the surgical procedures from the back/burn injuries. The clinic is treating me as if I am drug seeking and wanting to put me on a patch instead of the hydrocodone I had been taking for one month. I am able to function better taking the pills instead of the patch not to mention the $200.00 difference in price. I have to pay this out of pocket. I came home today in tears...wanting to end my life if this is as good as it gets.............

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2006, 07:02 PM   #2
BlueAtlas
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
Re: As good as it gets?

Dear Lady Phoenix,
What an ordeal you've had! You need someone to listen to you. The people here on the board are very encouraging, and you can get lots of help and advice, but it sounds like you need someone to help you face to face, whether it's getting some counseling or finding a doctor who respects and understands the pain you've endured. Is there a different doctor or a different clinic you can go to? If they're treating you like a junkie after all you've been through and the level of pain you have, you need to find someone else!

With the amount of pain you're having, there's a possibility that you might fall/have fallen into some depression. Has anyone ever offered you any kind of medication to help you through this besides pain meds? There's no shame in using some appropriate medication during such a hard time.

Please, Lady Phoenix, don't do anything drastic. There's help available out there, as well as here on the board. You've gotten through so much already! Don't give up now! Please come back and tell us how you are.

Please, you hang in there and don't give up!

Warmest regards,
Emily

Old 10-30-2006, 07:03 PM   #3
carol632
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

Hello, Lady Phoenix and welcome to the boards. My goodness, you have been through an awful lot and I'm so sorry for that. But please don't be talking about ending your life. If you are seriously considering doing that, please, please, call the suicide hot line or a good friend, pastor, or neighbor.

Believe me, there is hope for you! The first thing is to find another pain managment physician; ideally one who is in business for himself and not part of a group. Somehow, it always seems to be the better course. When you get the appt., ask questions, a lot of questions as to how they would handle your case.....what would he recommend to keep your pain better controlled, etc. I would suggest that between now and then, you keep a sort of pain diary so that the new dr can see what your daily pain levels are like.

Do you have health insurance? If so, I am wondering if the morphine pump might be an option for you...if you aren't too young that is. There is also the spinal cord stimulator which might work if you have nerve pain. There are many options out there and honestly, your biggest problem is to get a good doctor who you can trust and who will not waste time trying to make you feel like an addict. Actually, hydrocodone is NOT a very strong medication. Are you aware that there is a generic oxycontin now? Much easier on the stomach and liver.

Please check in with us every day and let us know how you are doing. This is a very warm-hearted board and every one of us understands what you are going through.

Blessings.

Carol
morphine pump

Old 10-30-2006, 07:23 PM   #4
Lady Phoenix
(female)

Lady Phoenix HB User

Thank you both for your kind words of encouragement. I agree, I think it is best to maybe seek another physician. It is such a humiliating thing to be subjected to...much less what I have already gone through. Its a miracle I went on with my life and didnt give up a LONG time ago. The oxycontin or (morphine) works well for pain relief but I have struggled with it in the past trying to come off of it. Any time it was necessary for me to come off of the hydrocodone I was able to do so without the "withdrawal" effects I suffered from the oxycontin. I was also better able to function with the hydrocodone..the morphine made me dingy. I am not sure what the difference is. I just got off the phone with a friend who works in the medical field and she was appalled. She also sugested I go get another opinion.

Thank you both, I will keep posting. My family has been through enough of this...its great to have fresh ears to listen. Hugs to you both.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:42 PM   #5
BlueAtlas
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

I've been sitting here hitting "reload" every few minutes hoping you would come back. I'm so glad you were able to talk to a friend. If she works in the medical field, maybe she can help direct you to a better doctor. I always go to my nurse and physical therapist friends for references. They know who the really good doctors are and aren't afraid to say who isn't good, either.

I hope you can get some sleep tonight and make some progress tomorrow finding a new doctor. Let us know. Good luck!

~Emily

Old 10-30-2006, 09:23 PM   #6
mamakitkat
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]HI Lady,
Welcome to the boards, you will find so much help here, I have. I'm so sorry that you feel so desperate right now. I too am having a bad time right now. But ending your life is NOT the answer. Your family needs you to be with them no matter how bad off you are. I know it is very easy to think that way some days, I think we have all had many days like that. The others advice seems right on the money, find answers some where else, don't just give up.

I had a bad day with my spine doc wanting to bring in pain management docs and other thngs, since we can't get rid of the pain. I do know how you feel only roo well, it's just fair that we have to go thru this, but the key words are go thru, we will all find the treatment we need. It takes time, thats why we are here together, to help each other thru this. You might want to explore the pain management section of the boards, thats where I'm heading after I get done on this section.

There is so much info & support on here, use it to help you out of this. Depression is a big ugly part of chronic pain, that is a very real thing that needs to be treated with many of us. I take a very mild anti-depressant at bed time, mostly to help me sleep but it did help my feelings a great deal, just ask my family, lol.

I do hope to see you on here tomorrow, I will be praying for you.

Good Luck & God Bless

Carol[/COLOR]

Closed Thread