It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

Loss of confidence

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-02-2006, 07:24 AM   #1
Sage48
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User
Loss of confidence

Just thought I would share with you all my present situation. In Sept. my PM Dr. wanted me to make an appt. with a major teaching inst.'s Pain Mgmt. Program. All of the referral paperwork was faxed in several weeks ago. When I didn't hear about an appt. I called ...they said that they never receved the fax...ok, so the referral was faxed again ....no call again. I have called there several times...finally was put in touch with one lady, who supposedly was in the appt. dept. She said as soon as she got the fax, she would call me...yeah, sure. Monday, I called again...guess what...there are several in that dept. out sick.(they always seem to be out sick in this dept.) and the girl I spoke with, who I thought was the appt. rep., well, she was the receptionist....duh...They had told me 3 times, this other person would call me,,,,no call. The kicker is, they still don't have the second fax, and my Drs. office sent it to the number I was told to give them.
I was so hopeful that this PM Center was going to help me, but from what I have experienced so far, I now feel that if this is the way they treat you when you want an appt., what happens if you are a patient!!!! I have such a loss of confidence...don't want to go there. I have to call my PM Dr., and let him know what has gone on, and to tell him, that I really don't feel good about this place. This is such a major disappointment.
Oh well, thanks for listening to me moan and groan....got it off of my mind. I know a lot you you have had similar things happen..but gosh, this is such a downer for me right now..

Sage

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2006, 09:54 AM   #2
BlueAtlas
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
Re: Loss of confidence

How frustrating! But I wouldn't write off the doctor yet. I've had a few doctors whose office stafff stinks but the doctor was wonderful. Maybe you could hand-carry your paperwork instead of having it faxed, and then make the appointment in person. It would be a pain in the neck (and back), but it might be a way to get that appt.

However it works out, I hope you're able to get in soon. Sometimes people's ineptitude in a field where you'd think and hope they'd have some compassion just infuriates me!

Hope today looks up for you!

Blessings,
Emily

Old 11-02-2006, 10:14 AM   #3
carol632
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

Everything Emily says is true; the office staff may not indicate the kind of dr they work for. My experience, though, is that the staff most often reflects the attitude of the person who hires them. I am not saying to give up on seeing this particular doctor, but while I waited I would consult with someone else, too. Talk to the referring doctor and ask him who he would recommend other than the first dr. Otherwise, your dr. needs to call the other dr. directly and tell him what his staff is doing to referrals. Does any of this make sense? It's sort of convoluted, I know. It's so unfortunate that those we rely on for help and understanding often are uncaring.

Good luck.

Carol
morphine pump

Old 11-02-2006, 02:54 PM   #4
Sage48
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Emily and Carol for you replies..
Unfortunately, the Pain Mgmt. Center is almost 100 miles from where I live..I really can't make a trip up there just to make take my referral etc. and make an appt. in person. Just too darned far. I also had a previous experience of where the office staff were horrible and uncaring, which now colors this experience. The Doctor showed her true colors when another Dr. diagnosed a very severe problem for which she had been trying to figure out for way over a year. I can't tell you what invasive testing went on, to no avail at that time, and when my husband's doctor diagnosed me (I didn't even have an appt. with him, was just there for my husband's visit), and further testing proved him right, well, when I told my Doctor, she turned really nasty, and said "YOU DON'T HAVE THAT... really ugly tone, well, guess what, I did have "that", and am making a great recovery from "that" with my husband's doctor helping! (also changed primary doctors)
The other problem with the PM Center is that I don't know who the Doctor would be..guess there are a few of them there. So, for now, I am playing the waiting game..seeing if the find my faxes..and eventually make the appt.
When I saw my PM Dr. in Oct. he said that if I hadn't heard from the other place in 10 days or so, call him, and he'd personally call up there. I am going to call his office to explain what is going on with the non-appt. but I am also going to let them know that I feel a lack of confidence in this place due to the mismanagement of all of this. Then see what he suggests.
I thank you both for your support. For a week or so I felt pretty good..only a 4 or so with meds. (of course I was just laying around a hotel room during that time!! It was so nice...what a memory!! ) Of course now that I am back home, the back is not happy...doesn't like driving, any stores..or horrors, grocery shopping.. Waking up at 2:30 3:00 in the morning and having to take medication..oh well...sorry to ramble on.. Both of your input has really made a difference today. Thanks

Sage

Old 11-02-2006, 05:34 PM   #5
Justoneofus
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

I have to agree with the others regarding that the doctor could be amazing and he has no idea of what's happening in that front office. He has an office manager to handle that.

I am a paralegal in my day job, and I am currently moonlighting the next few weeks in a doctor's office, helping a dear friend who has one of her employees out on emergency surgery leave. Well this friend I am helping, she is the office manager of the practice. That is where you need to go with the PM office.

Call them first thing in the morning as ask to speak directly with the Office Manager, get names, etc. Explain what's happened with you. She (usually female) probably has no clue this has happened or she has a few staff members that aren't doing their jobs and she needs to know. It's affecting that practice and business when they treat people the way you have been treated. Ask her to directly process your papers and confirm things with you directly.

Then if you still get nowhere.. turn it over to your current PM to handle from there. Then you truly did all you could, and now it's his turn.

I dont blame you for being frustrated, I would be only more so. I have an intolerance to bad customer service and I am pretty open about pointing it out when it happens. This is one of my BIGGEST pet peeves. Working with people has been my entire life work, and there is no call for bad service.

Im throwing a "pity party favor" made especially for you, your way! Enjoy it. I cracked one open myself the other day. It really helps! lol.

You hang in there and please keep us posted. All the best. Tammy

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 11-02-2006, 05:55 PM   #6
fusion723
Inactive
(male)

fusion723 HB User

Just a suggestion:send a copy via certified mail(this way you can track it and someone will be held accountable).Do not give up the fight;you know that we are all pulling for you.

Old 11-03-2006, 04:11 AM   #7
Sage48
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ya know, reading your replies to my post is so heart warming. All of you guys just have the best answers and suggestions. I am up early again today, 3 a.m., but it's worth it, just to get here and read what has been posted for me. It's like a gift.
The pity party was good...didn't last long, but it made me realize that I have to speak up for myself, take care of and track down my referral and other information..make sure it gets to the right place. I also did customer service, and my personal goal was to take a dissatified customer and make sure they were smiling when I did what I had to do to make their account right. I guess I just have to turn that ability around and make sure that I get the best possible service for me. I am still a bit concerned about "what if" this is the way the entire practice is run...been there and done that before! oh well, can't hurt..should not judge the doctors by the way the office is run. Have to be more open minded.
You don't know how much being able to come to this Board means to me, the suggestions, information, the kindness and caring of people who I have never met has helped me..(and others). I try most of the time to be upbeat and not self centered, but when the "party" happens, wow, the support is just unbelievable. Thank you is all I can think of to say. Hope that all have a pain free day.

Sage

Closed Thread