It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

2 spinal cord stimulators?Won't give pain meds

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-02-2006, 10:41 AM   #1
dlp3300
(female)

dlp3300 HB User
2 spinal cord stimulators?Won't give pain meds

hello all ,I am the girl w/the "frozen Leg" thread.I started this because after seeing my pm dr this morning he said I should consider 2 scs instead of 1.WHAT??? I haven't even got the approval on the 1st one yet.Do they get a kick-back from the scs company.My God I will be the freaking bionic women!LOL My Whole back is bascially a train wreck.12-14 herniations in all(I forget the exact),2 failed surgerys-last one l-4,l-5,s-1 doulbe fusion.I wanted a scs for my low back and leg pain and now he says maybe one for my thorasic and neck herniations.I have been working ,ON MY OWN,to reduce my low back pain.I think what has happened is now that my low back pain is reduced my mid back is kicking in.It has always hurt but my low back pain always overrode it.How about he just give me a lorcet or something?I have asked 2x's for break-thru pain meds-no go.I am currently on morphine,so what does he do instead DOUBLES my time released morphine.Does anyone have a Deaf Dr. also??Just to clarify things this is my prevouis pm dr that would throw meds at me before.I had to get a release from my pm dr I had before going him(I had moved out of town,them back)for my old dr to see me.I had read the report and it states"no inclination of addiction".I have NEVER had a problem with meds and at one point lowered my own dose of pain meds.These drs will give me MORPHINE of all things,the MOST addictive narcotic on the market,but I can't get a break-thru med to save my life.Little tid-bit,I have been taking meds ,all kinds for 6yrs.I don't want to leave my pm because He is a great dr and I trust him,well I did.There seems to be a fear with these drs. about prescribing pain meds.What should I do?my pm knows my medical history,and I don't want to go anywhere else.I don't want a dr who is a "pill-pusher".I just need a break-thru few times a month.I need to put this across to my pm,but I don't want to come off as a addict or something?How do i approach this?Need advice.

Last edited by dlp3300; 11-02-2006 at 10:44 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2006, 05:50 PM   #2
Justoneofus
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User
Re: 2 spinal cord stimulators?Won't give pain meds

Hi DLP. I am very interested in hearing more about the idea of two SCS when you learn more. I would approach your PM just as you did it so well here. You like him, trust him, he knows your history, by his own omission you have not shown addictive traits.. and you just need a little extra a few times a month for break through pain. NOT MORE MOROPHINE. Tell him you dont want your morophine increased.

Sometimes they do get fixated on other things and they are half listening sometimes. You just need to make it clear to him and see what comes of it. Then if he refuses, ask him to explain WHY. Then if you aren't happy with his answer.. then it's time to find a new PM.

I dont think your request for break through pain meds on a once in a while basis is asking too much at all. As a matter of fact giving your circumstances and talking of "2" SCS', I would have thought you were already equipped with break through meds all along.

You hang in there and let us know how things go. Take care. Tammy

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 11-03-2006, 02:03 PM   #3
dlp3300
(female)

dlp3300 HB User
Re: 2 spinal cord stimulators?Won't give pain meds

hi tammy,yah I guess I should just be blunt about it. I think I have been pretty tough up til this point!!He gave me Kaidian 30mgs 2x's a day!!!Geez,I don't want to be zombie lady!!I took one this morning and guess what -still in pain.I am going to call.I will keep you guys posted!!Boy,I love this board,it really gives me a outlet for my pain-not only physcial but emotional also.GOD BLESS

Closed Thread