It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

Selective Nerve Root Injection Question

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-07-2006, 05:39 AM   #1
shawley
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User
Selective Nerve Root Injection Question

My doctor set me up for a nerve root injection on the 16th of this month, I have already had Facet injection's and epidurals. My question is are these injections simular to what I already had.

I feel like a freaken pin cushion But if it will help with the pain and not make it any worse I'll try it. I'm currently in therapy and it's going ok so far , just stretching and doing hip exercise's .

Last week I went on a nature walk with a friend , as you all know how that goes ,I was up all night in pain..The next day I called my PM Dr. and ask if I could up my dosage to 1 pill every 8 hours..He said NO that the pain is a good sign...Grrrr....I'm not stupid , I been on this path for over 3 years now...But I didn't argue the point .

My nephew is on the same pain Med and his back isn't near as bad as mine , and he takes 1 every 6 hours and works ! My nephew can't believe how the PM doctor is treating my pain...Only wanting to inject junk into my body. The Facet injection's did not work why will this one work ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2006, 05:50 AM   #2
removedone
(female)

removedone HB User
Re: Selective Nerve Root Injection Question

Shawley,
Do you have sacroiliac problems? What kind of pain are you experiencing?

My sciatic pain seems to have been resolved with an epidural that I had last Thursday. I don't have the extreme sciatic pain going down the back of my leg. However, I have different pain now, in my hips and a stiffness in both legs, behind my knees and in my calve muscles. It's in the morning, when I get out of bed. And my hips and lower back get tired and sore during the day from sitting or moving. From what I've read, I think it's sacroiliac strain.

Have you had a sacroiliac joint block injection? Is that what you're referring to? I've had trigger point injections that have helped a bit, and I had the epidural this past Thursday.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:36 AM   #3
shawley
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

jlo2 , Yes I have sacroiliac pain and pain in my lower back. I get a tired and heavy feeling in my lower back , but the worse pain is in my legs and feet and hip's..

I had epidurals / Facet injections now he wants to do a selective nerve root injection. It is, what it is, a selective nerve root injection. whatever that is. I think its a trigger point injection ???? But I'm not sure.

sorry about your problems..

Old 11-07-2006, 06:49 AM   #4
yvette777
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

I am not sure either. But, this guy I recently met had something that sounds the same. He said he had it three years ago and the pain left and hasn't came back, he even works at the railroad. He said he was like me before with the sciatic nerve, two back surgery's and this nerve deading worked. So....hopefully it will, keep your head up what else can we do?

Old 11-07-2006, 07:14 AM   #5
shawley
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

yvette777 , has your boyfriend had a fusion also ? It sounds like he had Facet injections and the burning of the nerve to me ,but I could be wrong.

I applied to the local railroad here for a job last year , but with a back injury such as mine I would never be able to work there ? Wish I could go back to my old job..

Old 11-07-2006, 10:18 AM   #6
removedone
(female)

removedone HB User

Shawley,
I had trigger point injections. They're used to treat extremely painful areas of muscle. Normal muscle contracts and relaxes when it's active. I think the trigger point causes spasms that cause pain.

A trigger point is a knot, or tight band of muscle tissue, or fascia, that forms when muscle doesn't relax. Sometimes you can feel the knot under the skin. I could feel a trigger point on the side of my thigh, about 5 inches up from my knee. If I pressed on it, I felt a pain, similar to the pain you feel when you have a deep bruise.

The trigger point can irritate surrounding nerves and cause referred pain (pain you feel in another part of the body when you press on it). In my case, I could feel the pain go down my thigh to my calve.

The trigger point injections sometimes help to break up the trigger point and stop the spasm. I really don't believe that a trigger point injection is the same as a 'nerve root injection.' You must ask your doctor to get clarity.

Last edited by removedone; 11-07-2006 at 10:20 AM.

Old 11-07-2006, 10:28 AM   #7
shawley
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

jlo2 , I hope thats not what I'm getting. I don't get spasms anymore. I just get nerve pain and a feeling of failed back surgery AGAIN. I have no muscle spasms,just pain, pain , pain ! Nerve pain or somthing, I do remember the horrible spasms, but this is worse...Im getting so upset with doctor's. I just want to continue with pain meds and when I'm fused take out my hardware!

Old 11-07-2006, 11:00 AM   #8
removedone
(female)

removedone HB User

Hi Shawley,
I'm so sorry that you have experienced so much pain. Dealing with back issues is, indeed, very frustrating. I'm very new to this, as my problem began only six months ago, and it's not severe. I have two mildly bulging disks, L-4, L-5, and a mild stenosis in S1. I must say that I learned very quickly that I had to be proactive in my treatment. Despite the MRI results, I still don't believe that the doctors have a difinitive answer or diagnosis, at least in my case. It seems like they latch onto one thing, then try another, or another, like 'a stab in the dark.' (Pardon the pun.)

Please, don't be afraid to question your MD, and get a second opinion if you're not sure or satisfied with your MD's explanation or treatment.

I hope you get relief.
jlo2

Last edited by removedone; 11-07-2006 at 11:01 AM.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:46 AM   #9
Sage48
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User

Shawley,

Sorry that your back is being such a pain. I did have 2 nerve root injections. They deadened the nerve..and also put in the steroids. It was a very similar proceedure (at least as far as I was concerned) as to that of the epidural. The one thing that I do remember is that when they were locating the nerve, and when they got it, was that it hurt...they told me that was good...cause then they knew it was the correct nerve (this is done under floriscope) ....They are not shooting the nerve, just around it...kind of scary thinking they are going to put a needle in a nerve... I had this done in my cervical spine..(yikes)...but it would be the same kind of thing in the lumbar area (I asked!!)...

Hope this helps a bit, I was really afraid, but it wasn't that much worse than some of the epidurals I've had in the past..(cervical and lumbar)

Sage

Old 11-07-2006, 09:11 PM   #10
yvette777
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

well first of all he's not a boyfriend, just someone I had met. And he has had two previous surgerys that he said didn't help him, I 'm assuming fusion. Then he said he had that deep root injection it deadened the nerve and it never came back. However as far as the railroad he has worked there for 25 years or something so I am sure he already worked there before.

Old 11-08-2006, 05:31 AM   #11
shawley
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Sorry I thought you said you were dating , truly sorry. Never assume just because someone had 2 back surgery's that it was a fusion. I don't know what he does at the railroad , but I can tell you this. If he had a fusion he isn't doing any labor. There's no way possible he could deal with it.
I like to think I'm pretty tuff when it comes to pain, and I can't lift anything over 20 lbs without pain.

I hope the injection's help me..Atleast the pain in my hips legs and feet. Then I will complain about the pain in my back I guess. Thanks for your help and I hope you don't take this thread in the wrong way.
I have 8 more days till my injections . I'm thrilled...

Old 11-08-2006, 05:48 AM   #12
yvette777
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

You are right, I don't remember what surgery he had. I have DDD and he said he had that to, and now he's great.....Sometimes I think people are just trying to tell me that I am a puss. But who knows whats wrong with him vs us.

Old 11-08-2006, 05:51 AM   #13
shawley
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

That remark made me almost fall off my chair,(,Funny). i had alot of people say that to me to. Somtimes I wish they could just go through this pain for 5 minutes and we'll see who the wuss is...

Old 11-08-2006, 05:54 AM   #14
shawley
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

I'm having a REAL bad day , I can't find my pain Pills ! I don't know if they were stolen or misplaced or my wife dumping them. But My freaken legs is killing me and I won't even ask my Dr. for more because I signed a paper about selling /losing wont be replaced..So I have to deal with this for 13 days

I feel like a wuss right now

Old 11-08-2006, 05:56 AM   #15
shawley
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

I'm having a REAL bad day , I can't find my pain Pills ! I don't know if they were stolen or misplaced or my wife dumping them. But My freaken legs is killing me and I won't ask my Dr. for more because I signed a paper about selling /losing or taking more than prescribed wont be replaced..So I have to deal with this for 13 days. I looked allover...

I feel like a wuss right now

Closed Thread