It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Numbness in my foot with a weak ankle

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-10-2006, 11:19 PM   #1
    MaryL5-S1
    (female)

MaryL5-S1 HB User
    Question Numbness in my foot with a weak ankle

Hi everyone,
    I had a MRI done recently that shows L5-S1 Left side slight herniation of the disc and degeneration. I don't have Pain, However my left foot is numb and tingally and my Calf is a bit soar. I am having a hard time walking normal but am capable of getting around ok. It will be 4 weeks in a few days from now that I had the attack of sciatica pain from my butt all the way down the leg and foot , after 24 hours the pain was gone but not the numbness and week ankle stayed. It was suggested to have a Epideral cortisone shot and maybe surgery. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if the shot is just for pain ? or if it cures the numbness ? can the numbness go away on its own? I would perfer to not take the shot and give it more time. I also wonder how much time I should give it. If anyone can help I would love to hear from you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2006, 07:46 AM   #2
    pooby
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User
    Re: Numbness in my foot with a weak ankle

The steroid shot reduces the inflammatory response that occurs when the nerve has been exposes to the gel like substance released by the herniated disc. Doctors feel that inflammation is the cause of pain long after the disc has ceased to apply pressure. The inflammation can stay for a long time and can cause pain or numbness. The nerve needs time to settle down and the injection can help to cool things off. Nerves do heal but it can take a long time months or even years not days or weeks. Hope this answers your question.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:07 PM   #3
    MaryL5-S1
    (female)

MaryL5-S1 HB User
    Smile Re: Numbness in my foot with a weak ankle

Thank you for your comments

Closed Thread