It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Spinal Fusion ID Card?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-25-2006, 06:54 AM   #1
    nanatothesixth
    (female)

nanatothesixth HB User
    Spinal Fusion ID Card?

My Dr. has given me a card to carry in my wallet in case metal detectors go off. On the back, it states to notify Dr or Dentist for possible antibiotic treatment fo certain proceedures, icluding all dental proceedures and pap smears. Is this just temporary, or for the rest of my life? Also, in the postoperative paperwork that was given to me, it says that you MAY NOT resume the use of anti-inflammatory medications such as Advil, Ibuprofen, Aspirin, Daypro, Relafen, Arthrotec, Lodine, Celebrex, Vioxx, Bextra, Mobic, estrogen, progesterone,and oral contraceptives. Is this temporary or permanent as well? Wish they would tell you these things before hand.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2006, 07:05 AM   #2
    Justoneofus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Justoneofus HB User
    Re: Spinal Fusion ID Card?

IF you have hardware being put there.. the card will be forever as a tool if you set off detectors. I am a paralegal and go through the scanners all the time. I have yet to set any of them off from my back, but some of my shoes have set it off though. hehehe

The NO anti-inflammatories is they have good evidence that those prohibit fusion and have been linked to direct fusion FAILURE. So they dont want you using those early on in the fusion process, or none at all until fusion is complete.

I had some unusual circumstance of uncontrolled swelling and they put me back on Celebrex at week 10 I think (huh, i've forgotten already). But it was very early on and I am soldily fused at my one level fusion at l4/l5.

But if I had not HAD to be on the celebrex.. I would not have been.

So, I would make sure you follow your doctor's request without hesitation on this.

Take care. You will do great!!!

Tammy

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
    Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
    Solidly Fused Nov-2006
    A Success, but still improving!

Old 11-25-2006, 09:23 AM   #3
    sheri42
    (female)

sheri42 HB User

Hello,
    My doc told me that titanium does not set off detectors and I have been through 2 metal detectors with no problem at all.
    Sheri

Old 11-25-2006, 11:07 AM   #4
    Tucsonlady40
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tucsonlady40 HB User

Hi Nana,

I as well had a 1 level fusion and was not given a card. I was told that the titanium wouln't set of metal detectors. Hubby and I have flown several times, and I've been in and out of court houses and haven't set them off.

My son had an Ankle fusion in September and was given a card though. It could be, that because they implanted a battery pack with stim cord wrapped around ankle internally.?. Not sure, maybe I should read the card..lol

Funny, not literally, but my Dr.s know that I have Osteoprosis and never warned me about the estrogen. I was told not to take the antiflamitories do to non-fusion reasons.

I swear if it weren't for this board, I don't think, I would have learned anything from them. Well maybe a little.

Anyway, take care and have a pain "less" day.
    Bernie

Old 11-25-2006, 11:56 AM   #5
    BlueAtlas
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

My doctor told me he would give me a wallet card in case I set off metal detectors. He said most people don't set them off, but in the case of a large amount of hardware, as in my case, they might.

I don't know why there would be a warning about dental work and pap smears. Now I'm very curious.

Anyone else know?

~Emily

Old 11-25-2006, 12:14 PM   #6
    cynwoo
    (female)

cynwoo HB User

Emily,

In addition to my spinal fusion, I have also had knee replacements. I have to take anitbiotics 1 hr before I go to the dentist. This is to prevent any infection from entering my bloodstream and going to the metal in the knee replacements. I have not been told to do this with pap smears, but I would assume it is for the same reasons, I have not been given any additional warnings with the fusion, but have wondered since it is more metal in my body! I hope this helps, Cindy

Old 11-25-2006, 01:16 PM   #7
    caszyman
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

caszyman HB User

My daughter had a two level fusion with titanium hardware 18 months ago. She has flown twice in this time period and has not set off metal detectors. I asked her dr about this card prior to our first flight and he said we didn't need it since the titanium won't set it off. She had to take antibiotics prior to dental work for only one year. He has stopped it now. With my dad's knee replacements he had to take the antibiotics prior to dental work for the rest of his life. cas

Old 11-26-2006, 12:26 AM   #8
    hessie28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

Wow, I wasn't told or can't remember being told not to take any anti-inflamm meds. Luckily not an issue because I can't take them anyway with my stomach. I never heard or read anything about antibiotics before pap smear or dental work. I already take them before dental work or surgical procedures due to small heart birth defect. I don't take for the pap smear though. Never heard of that. I didn't need for my colonoscopy or endoscopy either. Interesting. I also wondered about metal detectors. I'm also glad to come to the boards because of the great info.

Closed Thread