It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Ibuprofen after fusion?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-03-2006, 01:13 AM   #1
    beachgirl01
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

beachgirl01 HB User
    Ibuprofen after fusion?

Hey all,

Quick question for you guys. Does anyone know if it's okay to take Ibuprofen following fusion? I asked the pharmacist and they said no, So I decided to call another pharmacy and they said yes it's fine. However I think I remember my surgeons nurse telling me that I probably would be able to go on Ibuprofen following surgery and for a while to come because it can compromise the fusion.

Does anyone know for sure and if so where did you get your info from? I am seeing my surgeon in a while but I have a lot of joint pain and other pain so I would like to be able to take it if it's not going to jeopardize anything.

Any advice is always appreciated. Thanks a bunch. Take care all. Beachgirl.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2006, 05:56 AM   #2
    zeroman
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

zeroman HB User
    Re: Ibuprofen after fusion?

my doc said No. some docs think its OK but the majority say its not. I figure better safe than sorry.

Old 12-03-2006, 06:33 AM   #3
    janx
    Inactive
    (female)

janx HB User

My Dr. also said no. I have been using Tylenol Arthritis. It helps some with the misc. aches and pains.
    brenwill

Old 12-03-2006, 06:37 AM   #4
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

from what i have been told,its a no no, as it actually does inhibit bones from attaching and fusing.i think if it was used like a one time only or possibly one dose per week that would be acceptable.the thing is,they do not want to set a serum level where this is constantly in your blood.

when i had horrid inflammtion post op about two weeks after my fusion,i was rather suprised when my very very knowledgable NS who had been the one who told me not to use the ibu,actually Rxed that medrol dose pack,which causes the same exact problem.when i questioned him on it he said that to use this at a one time shot,which this was over about a week,he still insisted that it was okay.i think they just want you to avoid this on a consistant basis and used as your only source of actual pain control.but before doing anything,you really should speak with YOUR neurosurgeon about this.just call the office and speak to his nurse,they surely would know what the surgeon normally prefers.she could also possibly offer you other pain control options.but your own surgeon would be ideal really.good luck and i hope things fuse for you.Marcia

Old 12-03-2006, 07:44 AM   #5
    BlueAtlas
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Yes, ditto everyone. What Marcia said about an occasional dose makes sense, but, as she suggested, check with your doctor to be sure.

Here's my Ibuprofen story: because I've had such back pain for years but didn't want to take meds that would interfere with driving, my job, and caring for my kids, I popped Ibuprofens 3 at a time 3 times a day or 2 Naproxens at a time 3 times a day. Did that for years! It helped a little, but at age 46 I was diagnosed with osteoporosis. When I found out that NSAIDS interfere with bone growth, I started wondering if I brought on this osteoporosis myself by all the Ibu's and Naproxens I took for so long. Maybe it's not related, but it's a question I've got for my ob/gyn next time I go in. I'm also wondering if the medication I take for the osteoporosis, Fosamax, has helped in getting some bone growth in my fusion. At only 6 weeks post op, my x-rays were showing bone growth around one of the cages. If the Fosamax is part of the reason I'm showing bone growth so early, maybe all fusion patients should be taking it! That's one I'm going to pursue with my surgeon. Especially for those with failed fusions, it seems like it would at least be worth a try.

So to make a long story short, I agree that it's best to stay away from Ibuprofen until your fusion is solid. Not worth taking the chance.

Blessings,
    Emily

Old 12-03-2006, 08:30 AM   #6
    Justoneofus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Justoneofus HB User

Yep, ibuprofen is an anti-inflammer, and it is said to be directly related to fusion failure. I would not take any over the counter meds without first speaking with your surgeon. I was told that I could take tylenol "occasionally".

BUT, FYI..I was one of the ones that HAD to go back on CELEBREX at week 10 I think it was.. due to uncontrolled swelling. I still fused and solidly at 7 months for one level posterior fusion at l4/l5. I got lucky.

Everyone is different, but had I not needed to be on the Celebrex, I certainly would not have taken it.

Just check with your doctor. Tammy

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
    Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
    Solidly Fused Nov-2006
    A Success, but still improving!

Old 12-03-2006, 10:38 AM   #7
    Laenini
    (female)

Laenini HB UserLaenini HB User

Its not just ibuprofen that can interfere with a fusion, its any NSAID (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug). Here is a pretty complete list of the drugs in this class for easy reference. If I missed any, I apologize.

Aspirin
    Diclofenac Potassium (Cataflam)
    Diclofenac Sodium (Voltaren)
    Etodolac (Lodine)
    Indomethacin (Indocin)
    Ketorolac (Toradol)
    Sulindac (Clinoril)
    Tolmetic (Tolectin)
    Meclofenamate
    Mefenamic acid (Ponstel)
    Fenoprofen (Nalfon)
    Flurbiprofen (Ansaid)
    Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil)
    Ketoprofen (Orudis, others)
    Naproxen Sodium (Anaprox, Aleve)
    Naproxen (Naprosyn)
    Oxaprozin (Daypro)
    Nabumetone (Relafen)
    Difusinal (Dolobid)
    Salsalate
    Celecoxib (Celebrex)
    Meloxicam (Mobic)
    Piroxicam (Feldene)

In addition to being held for several months after fusion surgery, these drugs are often stopped a week or two before the surgery. I believe to decrease bleeding complications during the surgery more than for the anti-inflammatory effect.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:39 AM   #8
    BlueAtlas
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

[QUOTE=Laenini] I believe to decrease bleeding complications during the surgery more than for the anti-inflammatory effect.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's correct. Every time I donated blood, I bled like crazy afterward. They'd end up holding ice on the site and holding my arm straight up in the air for 5 minutes or more before I'd stop bleeding. I asked if it could be because I took a fair amount of Ibuprofen, and the blood mobile ladies said their information only said aspirin would do that. I finally went on-line and searched it out myself. Ibuprofen and Naproxen (and probably all those NSAIDS) are indeed blood thinners. You definitely don't want to be on them prior to surgery!

~Emily

Old 12-03-2006, 02:20 PM   #9
    Susiebird
    (female)

Susiebird HB User

[QUOTE=Laenini]Its not just ibuprofen that can interfere with a fusion, its any NSAID (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug). Here is a pretty complete list of the drugs in this class for easy reference. If I missed any, I apologize.

.....Piroxicam (Feldene)[/QUOTE]

My surgeon put me on this at 7 months p/o for inflammation so he is obviously one of those doctors who believes this isn't true. (I was showing signs of fusion at the time.) I take one 25 mg/day with my main meal. Like everyone else says, check with YOUR surgeon to find out their take on it.

Old 12-03-2006, 03:54 PM   #10
    Laenini
    (female)

Laenini HB UserLaenini HB User

Its not forever after a fusion that you have to stay off NSAIDS, and different doctors may have different opinions about how long you will need to stay off. My doctor told me 3 months before I could go back on my Relafen.

Old 12-03-2006, 05:22 PM   #11
    Tucsonlady40
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tucsonlady40 HB User

Beachgirl,

I was also told not to take before surgery or after surgery, until fused. I would definately ask your doc.

I can see though, that some might have to take it like Tammy, no choice with the swelling.

Bernie

Closed Thread