It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Post op shivering and sweating

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-10-2006, 12:07 PM   #1
    Benny6057
    (male)

Benny6057 HB User
    Post op shivering and sweating

Hey guys I'm home from L5-S1 fusion this past wed (12/6). For the most part I'm thinking "is this it"? My pain is very minimal but what really has me concerned is an uncontrollable shivering and sweating (no fever). I notice that it gets worse around the time I'm due for my meds. I'm on hydrocodone and methocarbamol. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks, Benny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2006, 12:16 PM   #2
    beachgirl01
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

beachgirl01 HB User
    Re: Post op shivering and sweating

Hi there,

This is normal to me. I had the same problem when I came home from my surgery the second time. I kept checking for a fever with a thermometer but my temp was normal. I decided to call the doc and they said that it's a side effect of my meds. They said they could adjust my meds but I decided that I didn't want to go through that and the main reason was that there was still a high chance of me still have this side effect.

I do, however stongly suggest that you call your doc and let him know of the problem. There is a chance that it could be a sign of infection. Do you have any problems with your incision/s? Is it hot or red in color? Let me know of that but call you doc first thing Monday am.
    It's important that you let your doc know of any problems you experience post op.

Take care and please let me know what's going on. Good luck, Beachgirl.

Old 12-10-2006, 12:34 PM   #3
    Benny6057
    (male)

Benny6057 HB User

Thanks beachgirl, I have been watching my incision pretty closely and I don't see any discharge or abnormal swelling. Your probably on the right path with it being a side effect of the meds. I need to call tomorrow and schedule my post op appt and will let them know whats going on.

Old 12-10-2006, 12:56 PM   #4
    BlueAtlas
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

I had a lot more shivering than sweating. In the hospital, everytime they turned me I went into a shivering spell. The nurses would ask if I was cold, but I really wasn't. I just couldn't stop shivering. It lasted for several weeks after I got home. I didn't know it could be a side effect of the meds. Now I'm thinking back and realizing it waned around the time I decreased the Percocet. I've stopped it completely now and am on Vicodin and the shivering has stopped.

The only problem was the shivering would tighten up my back muscles and then it would take forever to get the pain back under control.

Hope it dissipates quickly for you.

~Emily

Old 12-10-2006, 01:43 PM   #5
    babs17
    Veteran
    (female)

babs17 HB Userbabs17 HB User

Benny
    I was thinking about you, and hoping you were well. Hey buddy...welcome to the Post Op club!!!

I am very happy that you are in such great spirits and not in too much discomfort. Keep us informed, and God speed to your recovery.

C4-C7 Herniations
    T5-T10 Herniations
    L3-S1 Herniations
    Thoracic Fusion via Thoracotomy 10/06

Old 12-10-2006, 06:28 PM   #6
    zeroman
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

zeroman HB User

definately call your doc and mention it as there is a very slight chance its an infection (maybe internal) but odds are its your meds - especially since you dont have a fever. I didnt shiver but I sweat like I was in an oven for several weeks after my op. in my case it was the meds (oxycontin).

Last edited by zeroman; 12-10-2006 at 06:35 PM.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:38 PM   #7
    babs17
    Veteran
    (female)

babs17 HB Userbabs17 HB User

oh, forgot to add...the hydrocodone has Tylenol in it, and that's an antipruritic. (lowers body temp) So, it may be masking your fever. Call your MD...just in case.

C4-C7 Herniations
    T5-T10 Herniations
    L3-S1 Herniations
    Thoracic Fusion via Thoracotomy 10/06

Old 12-10-2006, 10:22 PM   #8
    Lynne720
    (female)

Lynne720 HB User

Benny, hopefully its just medicine related. Were you on a pain pump in the hospital? If so, then when you switch over to pills, it can take time for your body to adjust to the dosage and/or change of medication. And please keep checking to make sure you don't have a fever because something could be brewing.

Lynne

Old 12-11-2006, 07:49 AM   #9
    Benny6057
    (male)

Benny6057 HB User

I was on a pain pump for 24 hours after surgery then went to oral for the next 48 hours that I was in the hospital. When they released me my nurse told me that my doctor upped the dose, so I'm thinking that it has to be the meds. I have a call in to the Dr but we all know how that goes. Thanks to all for the help.

Benny

Old 12-11-2006, 02:53 PM   #10
    japutie
    (male)

japutie HB User

Hey, that is great to hear that you are experiening so little pain after the surgery. I am having the exact same surgery on friday and have been freaking out about the recovery. I have read many, not so great accounts of what it is like. Thanks for taking time to write. Let me know if things continue to go so well for you!

Old 12-11-2006, 02:54 PM   #11
    japutie
    (male)

japutie HB User

Hey, that is great to hear that you are experiening so little pain after the surgery. I am having the exact same surgery on friday and have been freaking out about the recovery. I have read many, not so great accounts of what it is like. Thanks for taking time to write. Let me know if things continue to go so well for you!

Closed Thread