It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• 6 weeks post op and miserable

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-18-2006, 01:52 PM   #1
    Nikirae
    (female)

Nikirae HB User
    6 weeks post op and miserable

Hi all,

I am 6 weeks post op from lvl 2 fusion L4-L5, L5-S1 and I am miserable. I am in more pain the I was before the surgery and in all new places. Even my skin hurts and the smallest piece of fabric gives me the most intense pain, and to make it worse, I have to wear this brace.
    Everyday I wish I did not have the surgery. I know it has only been six weeks and the healing process takes time, but I never expected it to be this bad. I don't see my surgeon until next week and it will be the first time since the surgery, had some other dr in his office see me to take staples out and get first xrays and he thought I was a big baby. I feel depressed and this scares me, anyone else get any sort of post surgery depression? I feel like I am going out of my mind at times. Sorry to just blabber on like this, but I need to vent and I am tired of laying it all on my boyfriend and I think he is starting to get tired of it too. lol

Thanks for letting me vent!

/hugs Niki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2006, 02:34 PM   #2
    webdude
    (male)

webdude HB User
    Re: 6 weeks post op and miserable

Hi Niki... sorry to hear about your pain.. I dont have experience with a fusion, but I have herniated and have arthritis in my spine, and had some really bad episodes. The last bad episode started Jan for 3 months where I was soooo depressed, as I was a very active person, who then suddenly, could barely walk up a flight of stairs, and thought that there would be no end to the misery. As the weather started to get nice, I would get even more depressed as I normally would ride my bike, excercise, etc.. But, as time passed, I got better and better, and am now feeling pretty good. My doc told me it would take up to 2 years to fully heal, so it does take time... Just find a way to be as comfortable as possible and keep telling yourself that it will get better.. You may need to ask your doctor for more drugs to get you by in the meatime..

God Bless,

Maurizio

Old 12-18-2006, 06:06 PM   #3
    scott1970
    (male)

scott1970 HB User

[QUOTE=Nikirae]Hi all,

I am 6 weeks post op from lvl 2 fusion L4-L5, L5-S1 and I am miserable. I am in more pain the I was before the surgery and in all new places. Even my skin hurts and the smallest piece of fabric gives me the most intense pain, and to make it worse, I have to wear this brace.
    Everyday I wish I did not have the surgery. I know it has only been six weeks and the healing process takes time, but I never expected it to be this bad. I don't see my surgeon until next week and it will be the first time since the surgery, had some other dr in his office see me to take staples out and get first xrays and he thought I was a big baby. I feel depressed and this scares me, anyone else get any sort of post surgery depression? I feel like I am going out of my mind at times. Sorry to just blabber on like this, but I need to vent and I am tired of laying it all on my boyfriend and I think he is starting to get tired of it too. lol

Thanks for letting me vent!

/hugs Niki[/QUOTE]
    Just had similar surgery but mine was probably more comprehensive. I am 5 weeks post-op on the posterior surgery and 2 weeks post-op on the anterior portion (surgeries were broken into 2 segments to complete the 360). I know your feeling and frustration. I wonder at times as well. However my Sciatic pain is gone but I do have extreme low back pain and it feels odd where the back hardware is located. Overall, I seem to get a bit better everyday. I use heating pads while sitting in my 2 different chairs (with brace off). This helps more than anything. I am now off all pain killers except reg Tylenol and Tylenol PM. Dont get me wrong I feel pain and discomfort but it seems better than where I was pre-op. The hardest and scariest is still ahead although I have gone through worse right after I was released. Sleeping is difficult but gets better daily and w/ heat pad. Take care and I hope you start feeleing better!!

Old 12-18-2006, 08:10 PM   #4
    pooby
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User

I think that you are expecting too much too soon. Although my L4 L5 S1 fusion was 25yrs ago I still remember the miserable recovery. I spent 3 weeks in hospital and for the next 3 months I could not walk normally. The sciatic pain was so bad I could not even lay my foot on the floor. It took me a full year to recover but recover I did. Nerves can take a long time to settle down. They are pushed around during the surgery, this can cause problems. Not everyone's recovery is the same so try not to compare yours to anyone elses. Your doctors should have made you fully aware of how difficult your recovery might be before the fact. I sometimes think that many patients do not fully comprehend just how serious spinal surgery is and how complicated the recovery can be. For this reason alone it should always be a last resort. Try to remain positive and hopefully over the next few months things should start to settle down.

Old 12-18-2006, 08:36 PM   #5
    Justoneofus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Justoneofus HB User

Hi Niki. Just know what you are feeling and going through is extremely normal, both in your pain,discomfort, and your emotional state. You just had very major surgery.

As much as I had thought I had educated and prepared myself for my one level posterior fusion (which was at level l4/l5), nothing could prepare me for the reality of it all. It was much harder than I expected it to be, and I really didnt feel that way until around week two when I started to have post surgery issues, with nerve pain setting into my legs, unexplained swelling, muscle weakness, and post surgical pain in general, with all sorts of what I called phantom pains appearing and disappearing all over the place. I wasn't depressed, but I was scared and I did begin to wonder if I had made the right decision to have the surgery. I think these feelings and issues were all just par for the course, after having undergoing such a a major surgery.

I had to remind myself from time to time to keep all of this in perspective, but it was a struggle at times. But as time went on and the weeks past, things began to change ever so slight, but where good changes and I hung onto that, figuring in a few more weeks, I am going to be all that much better, etc.
    And I did. The first 8-12 weeks are pretty tough for most of us and you have to allow yourself the time to heal from it, and actually expect it to hurt and being uncomfortable knowing your bones and muscle tissues are mending themselves back together, only hopefully much much better than before, with less pain once we heal.

At week 9 or 10 I think my PT program started, and while it was very hard at first and definitely fell into the "no pain no gain category", it did help to turn the tide on my healing process. It really was a catalyst to making me start to feel like everything was going to be okay. I think it took me about a good few weeks before I could really feel the benefits of the PT program, and after that, I started getting better, faster and faster.

So, just know that I personally think you are being very normal with how you might be feeling all around at the moment, and you need to cut yourself a break and just let things progress further and you really will start feeling better soon.

Hang in there and make sure you let the doctor know how you have been feeling and maybe it's time to change your meds, maybe start some form of PT program for you in the near future, and if you feel that you are feeling more down than you can control.. maybe an anti-depressant might be something to consider for awhile. And many anti-depressants that you could try also have excellent benefits for dealing with nerve pain as well. Some things to think on.

Take it easy on yourself. Try and concentrate on the upcoming holidays being with those you care for and love. Better days are ahead! Hang in there and happy Holidays to you!

Tammy

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
    Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
    Solidly Fused Nov-2006
    A Success, but still improving!

Last edited by Justoneofus; 12-18-2006 at 08:38 PM.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:05 PM   #6
    hessie28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

Hi. You are feeling normal feelings that we probably all had. I'm 12 weeks out of the same surgery. I don't even remember the first 4 weeks because of all the drugs I was on. I rented a hospital bed which made things much easier when it came to the pain. I started feeling better around week 8 I would say. I was walking everyday and started therapy at 8 weeks. I'm miserable with pain now but it is from my neck. Hang in there. Take the pain meds. It will get better. Feel better.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:51 AM   #7
    Nikirae
    (female)

Nikirae HB User

Thanks all...glad the "pyscological" part of it is normal. I knew there would be pain and I know the healing process is slow and is different for everyone. I just never expected the mental part of it all. Well did not expect the skin hurting to the touch. I wanted hospital bed, but workers comp said NO!

Think the fact I get home from hospital and 21 days go by an I still have not had a bowel movment and that causing me to be rushed to the ER cause of the pain just started my mental madness, and the stupid little kid in the grocery store that ran the cart into my back (thank god for brace) did not help either. One plus thing is I have lost 30 pounds since my surgery..yay!

Big hugs all and thank you so much for letting me vent! Good to know I am not going crazy.

Niki

Old 12-19-2006, 11:17 PM   #8
    hessie28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

I think I gained the weight you lost. I have three sleeping disorders too so I am up all night and eat more. It's bad since I am post gastric bypass. Did they give you stoll softners after your surgery? I took them almost 3 months. The pain meds constipate. I was using a cane in the beginning. I still use it when I go out somewhere. It gives me a little security because I do get off balance once in a while. But what is good is people treat you a little nicer. They don't bump into you. They hold the door open. My biggest fear is someone banging into me. I don't use around the house or if I visit someone. I just use going to the car etc. I didn't get a brace. I think maybe I should have. The dr. is talking about a brace for my neck and shoulders for my neck herniations. I got myself a cervical collar to see if that helps. I don't think anything is normal. Our feelings. Our pain. We all have such different problems, pains etc. No book to follow.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:17 AM   #9
    Nikirae
    (female)

Nikirae HB User

I took the stool softners but they did nothing, I am currently taking a powder I mix with water my primary care dr prescribed for me every other day and it works great. I am wanting to get a cane, been waiting for my workers comp to approve it, have a walker but it too akward when in store and you should see the dents in the walls in my apartment (good thing I am not cleared to drive yet, lol) still use it around the apartment to get out of bed and chair and to get off toilet. lol

/hugs Niki

Closed Thread