It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Arachnoiditis Anyone ??????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-23-2006, 06:07 PM   #1
    busted55
    (male)

busted55 HB User
    Question Arachnoiditis Anyone ??????

Hi again everyone!
    I finally found a word that fits my symptoms. ARACHNOIDITIS. I have had 3 back surgeries. Now, 6 months after the L4 L5 fusion with screws and rods, I am in more pain than before. Right after surgery I felt pretty good but have went downhill now with stabbing and shooting pains in my legs. I also have a problem when I urinate, go, stop, trickle, stop, go and sometimes can't finish. My back feels like ther is a splitting mall stuck in it. All kinds of strange burning sensations from the waist down. ARACHNOIDITIS? Anybody have any experience with this? I would really like to hear about it. I feel for everyone that suffers with any kind of pain like this. My pains have changed the way I think, forever. If someone tells me they hurt, I listen.
    I thank you all for listening, I know if you are reading this you understand.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2006, 08:33 PM   #2
    pooby
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User
    Re: Arachnoiditis Anyone ??????

I was initially diagnosed with Arachnoiditis. There are support sites available on the net. Arachnoiditis can be local or it can be a swift moving devastating disease. It can be seen on an MRI. Local arachnoiditis is the most common. It can be [B]mild[/B] or [B]severe[/B]. The swift moving type of arachnoiditis is usually due to chemical causes (older type dyes) that were used in myelograms. There is lots of information floating around the net. Remember the type from chemical causes moves throughout the spine while the type that is from multiple surgeries tends to localize. You may or may not have arachoiditis. Let your doctor do a definitive diagnosis before you jump to conclusions. By the way arachnoiditis is made worse by any surgery so surgery is never an option.

Old 12-24-2006, 07:36 AM   #3
    busted55
    (male)

busted55 HB User

Thanks Pooby,
    Very good explanation. That makes me feel better (in my head). I guess I probably just have scar tissue, dammaged nerves or something. I had a fusion of S1-L5 and had the screws and stuff took out. Then had a discogram on L4-L5 and then had that level fused and the Dr. says the hardware may be bothering me but he will not guarantee any relief if he removes it. Anyway, you all are a great bunch when I can't sleep.

Thanks again

Old 12-24-2006, 12:00 PM   #4
    ejreiss
    (male)

ejreiss HB User

Wow, I read about arachnoiditis after reading your post. What is real scarry to me is that I have also been complaining about different symptoms following my third back surgery about three years ago. When I read about arachnoiditis online it turns out that I also have just about every symptom that is listed. I have never been diagnosed as having it but I also have never had another mri after having my surgery. It turns out that they say I have a more commonly diagnosed failed back syndrome. Pretty scary because the symptoms fit me almost exactly. I've also had several epidural injections, myelograms and everything else that they say is the cause of the disease. Good luck and hope you feel better than me because I feel like crap.

Old 12-24-2006, 02:07 PM   #5
    luvmybeagle
    Inactive
    (female)

luvmybeagle HB User

Hi everyone, I too have all of the symptoms, but they are very similar to RSD or CRSD which I was just diagonsed with. It is also life long and only treated with meds and injections So you may look in to that as well. It all stinks. I had back surgery to make me better than I was and now after a second surgery to remove scar tissue I am way worse than before the first surgery.
    I am finally going to get the meds that I needs to help me deal with the pain but there is no "cure".

Happy Holidays
    Barbara

Closed Thread