It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Results from Dr. visit wednesday

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-29-2006, 08:59 AM   #1
    mamakitkat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mamakitkat HB User
    Results from Dr. visit wednesday

Hi Everyone,
    Well made the trip to see my regular spine dr. wednesday, now I have one more drug in my arsenal of painn fighting drugss. Percocet for breakthru. Nothing has moved or broken, thats good news! But still no answer for the increased and new pain problem.

I will start my new ins on the first so off I will go to find the new spine dr. at University Hospital. As I have said before that should help me find some answers. My current spine doc doesn't want to put me thru any tests until we see what they come up with to do. Current doc brought up the morphine/diludid pump, the spinal cord stimulator and so on.

It all sounds so scary, to now not be looking at ways to fix me but to find ways to "make me comfortable" I hate that phrase!!!!!! I'm way too young to be thinking about a lifetime of pain control, what will it do to me long term to be taking all these drugs? will I get worse as I get older? What happens when no surgery or drugs help anymore? I have a list a mile long already and we don't even know what is making me worse now.

Well enough of that, I promised myself that I will not let this get me down till after the new year starts.

Happy New Year.

God Bless

Carol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2006, 09:12 AM   #2
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User
    Re: Results from Dr. visit wednesday

Hi Carol , I see your still going through the mill with your back. Percocet's ? Yes thats what I take also , it will help you cope , It doesn't take my pain away it just helps me put up with it. Pump / cordstim thats all a bunch of crap in my opinion and I may be upseting people but I just think there not going to be the answer . I know 2 people who have each , the one with the stimulator says it worked for a while ,now he has to crank it up to get releif and if he does he can't walk ?? what a life..The other said he gets very little relief from his pump , But I guess if you get any relief is help. I get some from my perc's and Morphine..Besides I'm not sure yet whats going on with me.
    Both my Dr.'s wanted me to get the stimulator and when I had my injection , they put it on hold . I don't know why unless they found somthing wrong with me ? Now I have somthing to worry more about.

Hope they find somthing with you.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:36 AM   #3
    mamakitkat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mamakitkat HB User

Hi Shawley,
    I am leaning towards your way of thinking, I have to wonder what will work, everything that has been tried has failed, 4 failed fusions, did the bone stimulator that helps to encourage the fusion to fuse, hard brace, soft brace, stay in bed for 6 wks, don't lift, don't bend, even had a leg brace attached to the hard brace so I couldn't turn, so many drugs I can't begin to list them, I could go on forever and NOTHING worked. I am now at a gr 2-3 spondy with rod & screws to keep it from moving more and more pain than I started with.

Sometimes I don't want to try anything, but I know that I have to try, if I give up now I may be cheating myself out of help. I do know I will NOT have a mylogram ever ever again! It was the worst pain I ever had. But now my doc had brought that up as one thing to do along with an EMG and something
    else (can't remember what, neurontin) I really can't stand the thought of all of that again. I started with all of that and now I'm right back at the beginning again.

I too know someone with the cord stim, has had it for years, and it works for him but have heard way more that have problems.

I am so confused right now about what I should and shouldn't do, I guess I will take my time and really research everything before I do anything.

Nice talking with ya.

God Bless

Carol

Old 12-29-2006, 09:46 AM   #4
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

whatever you decide I'll be pulling for you, yes we have been through it all what is next ?

Nice talking to you to Carol

GOD BLESS

Old 12-29-2006, 06:02 PM   #5
    Suzy-Q
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Suzy-Q HB User

Hi Carol, Hi Shawley,
    I had to butt in and let you know that I relate! I feel sometimes like the biggest mistake I ever made was to tell my doc I had a problem. Now how's that for belly aching?
    My roller coaster ride is just getting better every day. I've seen a neurologist and she has written me home from work until I have a brain scan!!! All she was sure about was that my cervical herniation is not the cause of the recurring vertigo-like ick that has had me perfectly miserable for 2 weeks. Oh, she is also sure there is probably a neurological problem here but a bunch of tests are going to be needed to pin it down.
    I never thought I'd be finding my back to be the least of my troubles!!! Funny but my back pain has been very low for a week now. My NS saw fusion bone at my last eval. I still have a lot of stiffness and weakness in my hips and legs though.
    So, I am waiting too. Waiting for an MRI. I am always here and always wishing you the best. Suzy-Q

Old 12-29-2006, 06:45 PM   #6
    Justoneofus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Justoneofus HB User

Happy Holidays Friend! I was glad to see you post about your appointment on Wednesday. I thought you already had Percs in your aresnal. (I have yet to find a heavy hitting med that my body will tolerate. I can't take percs, ultram, ultracet, and morophine does not work well for me either. I can't take Neurontin, and Lyrica.. Im sure the list goes on... but if I get worse, I am gonna be in a pickle. I just realized that might be why at the last visit with the surgeon, he mentioned methadone. Huh.. didn't think of that before now. Either way.. no way would I think to take that this early on. If I need it down the trail then that's different.)

I think you need to try and see what they can come up with to manage your pain level. In retrospect, the surgery we've had was an attempt to manage or rid of the pain. So now we are dealing with meds..which are none of our preferences, but if they work and we can function.. why not.

And hopefully, as time goes by, more sophisticated and viable surgical remedies will become available to us all and rid of us of this pain warp we survive in.

I have been blessed with spending some time with my grandmother (my mom's mom) this holiday and she is nothing short of amazing. She's 83 years young, and she goes to the GYM at her age, 5 days a week, and works out every day. She does suffer from sciatica, but that doesn't stop her, and that lady is so limber. Amazing!! She gets around better than I do and Im only 45.

I know what you mean about the "making you comfortable" phrase. The surgeon told me if I wasn't any better that he was going to send me to pain management. It made me feel like he's given up on even beginning to find the source of my pain, but the pain management group is much better equipped then he, the surgeon, to find the source of the pain and ways to control it, short side of sending me back to him for possible more surgery. So while I don't like the idea, I understand it.

I found a new surgeon that just joined my insurance and is fairly local, about 55 miles away. Currently my surgeon is out of my insurance network and costs me alot of money to see him. This new surgeon has a total spine center, including pain management. He is from John Hopkins, is ortho certified in spine surgery and also has a spine fellowship as well. I have an appointment coming up mid January with my current doc and if he says what I think he will say (pain management).. I will head to this new center and see what happens next.

The odd part of it is, that I am not that bad off. I even have pain free moments and days I feel like everything is gonna be fine. Then days, I just feel like it's happening all over again. I'm fused per this doc, and it's still early I think in the healing.. so I am still hoping for improvement in the pain department. I can handle the occasional flare ups, so long as the in betweens are functional. Since my last big flare up.. I've had to take at least one vicodin daily, mostly at night.. to ease things up after living the day. And that's not so bad, but I'd like to take nothing.. like the rest of wish to do..take nothing.

Try and focus on your boys and your DH. I am thinking about you and wishing you a Happy and Healthier New Year. Tam

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
    Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
    Solidly Fused Nov-2006
    A Success, but still improving!

Old 12-30-2006, 01:01 AM   #7
    mamakitkat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mamakitkat HB User

Hi,
    I will be keeping you in my prayers, maybe answers will be ahead in the new year for All of us. I thoroughly medicated my self this evening and went and playing three games of bowling, I'm about to die now and I will regret it for days but it was sooooo much fun to all be together and have such fun again. I even beat my son that is in the marines!!! only by two points but it was beating him far & square, hehe. I then bowled a 35 the last game, can ya tell the meds were wearing off.

I'm not so sure the percs. are any better than one & half ES vicodin, but it does seem to relax me a bit more. I wish for the day that we can all finish our treatment and be "normal" again. I hate to say the day we don't NEED this board. I can' timagine ever not checking in to see how everyone is doing here and of course when I need that lil boost I know just where to turn, my best friends that know how ikt is to feel so crappy all the time, to just paint on the smile and go ahead and do what you know you shouldn't.

It has been a great holiday this year, the first in 3 years without a surgery, I cna't begin to tell you how good that feels.

I hope you both get the answers and treatment that will help you find some end in sight.

God Bless

Carol

Closed Thread