HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Back Problems (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/)
-   -   Pars defect repair (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/459519-pars-defect-repair.html)

shannon4all 01-04-2007 12:39 PM

Pars defect repair

:confused: I would like someone...anyone to explain how a pars defect is fixed.I have a pars defect and my spinal surgeon told me he could fix it.He said that rods and screws would be the way he would fix it where the bone formed a bridge..in me instead it formed like a joint...I am unsure whether or not to go through with the surgery as I am tired of being in pain but unsure exactly how effective this type of surgery is..I also had my back fused at L4 and L5 where I had spondylothesis with slip and I also have degenerative disc disease/disorder...the pars defect is right there where the previous surgery was so that is why I continued to be in major pain even after the first surgery.Can't we just do away with that whole piece of bone...why is it necessary??:confused: I just need to know how all this goes and if the surgery is worthwhile or if I will be stuck taking vicodin forever...{I know that a lot of you are on a lot stronger pain meds..but because of my age and the doctors I am seeing that is all I get} ANY help would be gratefully appreciated.

Becca_boo 05-03-2007 09:25 AM

Re: Pars defect repair

Hi,
I am in the same boat as you. I would love to know. I am 17 and just got told that I had one of these. He said I will be in a brace for 6 months and then we will think about pins and screws, fusion, or some kind of surgery. I am kind of scared. He said it wouldn't hea on its own.

Good luck with this.
Becca:angel:

ms_west 05-03-2007 02:19 PM

Hey, I believe Clover had this done and she is generally on around 10:30 at night so hopefully she will see the post.

clover60 05-03-2007 03:21 PM

Hi Shannon
I had a pars defect and spondy. I think they kinda go hand in hand. My was so severe that the vertabra was loose and the surgeon said that he could just reach in and pull it out. I was lucky that the spine did not slip and cause more problems.

Ok so my surgeon did a partial fusion from l4-s1 he used the dysense system and put in 6 screws and rods and fusion bone material but left the disc. He did have to do some clean up on the disc. This was kinda a unique thing I believe as it is being trialed but should be approved this summer.

I also have alot of other things wrong in the back but this did stablize the back and helped with alot of nerve pain.

I am also lucky that he is a fantastic Dr whom takes the time to try everything else first and explains everything.

Good luck and keep us posted. I will keep you in my prayers.

SpineAZ 07-07-2010 05:00 PM

I agree that spondylolisthesis and pars defect go hand in hand. I finally had a fusion from L4-S1 in 1993 to fix both.

jstanley 09-02-2010 06:26 PM

Hi,
I am 24 and had a spinal fusion when I was 22. I had 4 screws and 2 rods put in at S1-L4. I also had a pars defect and spondy I was in so much pain before and now I have none. I still sometimes get a little sore from the bone graft that they took but other than that nothing. I live in Ohio so it's way to far for you but I would recommend my surgeon to anyone anytime. I really believe thats the key. You have to trust them and check all credentials to make sure you are getting the best.