It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Did anyone have a CF leak after fusion?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-10-2007, 07:19 AM   #1
    MissTeach
    (female)

MissTeach HB User
    Did anyone have a CF leak after fusion?

Hi i had had 2 operations on my spine now the last being in 2004 for a spinal fusion with instrumentation. During that time i had a post op spinal fluid leak causing my wound to bulge and getting the effect of lumbar headaches. It went down they sent me home and it started again. Since that time my condition has got worse to the point that i am on a combination of painkillers oxycontin, neurotin etc.

My question is has anyone suffered a simular effect to mine - having a CF leak post op and did you find you were worse than when you went for the operation

and
    does anyone know if having a CF leak can cause nerve compression which may result in long term nerve damage?

cheers

Meachelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2007, 07:40 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Did anyone have a CF leak after fusion?

i am just wondering how in gods name they managed to actually even touch your spinal cord to even damage it in the first place during a fusion surgery????how badly was your disc herniated and was it actually into the cord itself?this would not be considered a 'normal' possible complication in just a fusion surgery itself,was there something else going on within your cord?i am just a bit confused,as you can probably tell.this just doesn't sound right to me at all.did you ever obtain the actual op notes from the hospital on this surgery?if not,get them and go thru them in order to see what actually happened during your surgery.also,what did your pre op MRI report say about the severity of herniation?if you do not have that either,get it too,in fact,if you have not already done so,obtain every document ever created on you rgarding the surgeon and the office visits both pre and post op along with ALL medical records generated during your surgery and stay at the hospital.espescially the op notes.what exactly were you told about the CSF leak?

any actual 'leak" itself,would not cause probable nerve damage.there would however be compression in there from the pressure.any actual nerve damage would depend on many factors including how long the compression onto any nerve actually lasted.nerves can be pretty resiliant at times when the pressure/compression is not by an actual structure like a bone segment or something.i really would like it if you could answer some of the questions i have asked,it really wolud give me a much clearer picture of what actually took place.like i said,this just does not sound right at all to me,really.i have had an actual surgery done on the inside of my spinal cord and had to lay flat on my back for four days straight in the ICU.

this whole surgery and leak thing is just not something i have ever heard anyone ever having before with this type of surgery.either you had a very compressed spinal cord pre op or someone really messed up.let me know will you?Marcia

Old 02-02-2007, 06:20 PM   #3
    MissTeach
    (female)

MissTeach HB User
    Smile Re: Did anyone have a CF leak after fusion?

[QUOTE=feelbad;2737301]i am just wondering how in gods name they managed to actually even touch your spinal cord to even damage it in the first place during a fusion surgery????how badly was your disc herniated and was it actually into the cord itself?this would not be considered a 'normal' possible complication in just a fusion surgery itself,was there something else going on within your cord?i am just a bit confused,as you can probably tell.this just doesn't sound right to me at all.did you ever obtain the actual op notes from the hospital on this surgery?if not,get them and go thru them in order to see what actually happened during your surgery.also,what did your pre op MRI report say about the severity of herniation?if you do not have that either,get it too,in fact,if you have not already done so,obtain every document ever created on you rgarding the surgeon and the office visits both pre and post op along with ALL medical records generated during your surgery and stay at the hospital.espescially the op notes.what exactly were you told about the CSF leak?

any actual 'leak" itself,would not cause probable nerve damage.there would however be compression in there from the pressure.any actual nerve damage would depend on many factors including how long the compression onto any nerve actually lasted.nerves can be pretty resiliant at times when the pressure/compression is not by an actual structure like a bone segment or something.i really would like it if you could answer some of the questions i have asked,it really wolud give me a much clearer picture of what actually took place.like i said,this just does not sound right at all to me,really.i have had an actual surgery done on the inside of my spinal cord and had to lay flat on my back for four days straight in the ICU.

this whole surgery and leak thing is just not something i have ever heard anyone ever having before with this type of surgery.either you had a very compressed spinal cord pre op or someone really messed up.let me know will you?Marcia[/QUOTE]

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Hi and thanks for your post Marcia, firstly I am in UK and itís not as easy as in States etc to get hold of the reports you talk about, heck even trying to get my doctor to write a report for my disability living allowance claim took 4 months and then said back pain and pretty much nothing else helpful.

I might be able though to shed a bit of light why they were near my spinal cord as they did an epidural at same time as a form of pain relief when I woke up. Donít know if that was the reason for the leak, but might account for why they were so close to the spinal cord, in fact at the time I told the guy that put it in it felt weird and had severe pain down my right leg, I had epidurals before and this did not feel normal at the time.

Re what they did it was an L5 S1 lumbar fusion with instrumentation, apparently after my discotomeny my disc had re-bulged and had dehydration. After my operation I was in absolute agony and then from my wound on my back it kept 'leaking', for 2 days they told me it was just my wound leaking even though they were changing my wound dressings every hour. Then I got lumbar headaches and they realized I had a spinal fluid leak after testing the fluid and put me on strict lie flat bed rest for 3 days. It stopped but when they sent me home (my wound had closed by this time). I developed a large bulge about the size of a grapefruit on my back as the spinal fluid was built up behind my wound. I went to emergency and they told me only thing that could be done was to go back on to strict lie flat bed rest and sent me home, which I did for a further 6 days, which in itself was very difficult as it hurt like hell to lie on my back. Only minor relief I could get and still can is pulling my legs up to a fetal position on my side, but doesnít take everything away.

After this I did not have any other problems with 'leaking' but since my operation (this was my second the first was two years previous for a discotomeny) I have been virtually unable to walk, numbness to both feet, muscle twitching, cramps in toes and ankle stumble lots and pain is unbearable even with the medications I am on. They take the edge off but thatís about it. I can honestly say that I have had any pain free moments since this operation Ė what I would give for just to have 1 hour or even 1 day pain free would be bliss. What I find weird too is that the symptoms for the most part are generally the same but some I get from time to time and no two days seem the same. The pain management clinic have had me on all sorts of medications and currently on lyric ( seems to be better than neurotin (150mg twice a day), oxycontin (40mg twice a day), dicloflex ( 50 mg twice a day) & amitriptyline (1 a day at night). Does this combination work well yes and no relieves some of the pain for a bit but after couple of hours soon wears off and cant move again.

I am waiting for a nerve conduction test but the waiting list here is about 12 months for one. They want me have a CT myelogram but to be honest I am reluctant after all the problems I have had to have anything else invasive on my back. ( so far 3 lumbar punctures - this was due to a different neurological problem when I was younger, 1 spinal tap for C-section, 1 epidural for C-section, 1 epidural for lumbar fusion, discotomeny & lumbar fusion - I believe this is too much and may have accounted for some of my problems hence why I want no more done if I can).

I was a classroom teacher and loved my job, I have thankfully been able to keep going as a teacher working online as a virtual science teacher and love it. Luckily my bosses are great and know I have my bad times when I canít teach and compensate for me and the lessons are 30 mins each so I can lie down a bit in-between if needed.

I get really frustrated and I guess like many of us trying to find out exactly why I am like I am. I guess I just want answers and hopefully a way to understand more about why this has happened to me and others like me. I too dream of a day that pain management will be able to sort me to the point that I am not relying on my family for normal day to day tasks too.

Thanks for the reply

Meachelle[/COLOR][/B]

Old 02-03-2007, 10:55 AM   #4
    Justoneofus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Justoneofus HB User

Meachelle, has anyone told you that you are actually fused or not? Could you possibly not be fused? Is your spine shifting at all, known as spondyliosthesis?

Unfortunately, even with solid fusion, they don't give any of us a guarantee that the surgery will resolve our pain.

As to the CF leak, it doesn't happen too often, but it does happen, and I am surprised they didn't go back in and repair the leak surgically. They are working in close proximity there and, though unfortunate, it happened to you.

I didnt have nerve pain prior to my fusion surgery, and woke up with it. The doc swears he never got near my nerve, but has no idea why I continue to have nerve issues on my left side. Either he nicked the nerve or maybe a bone fragment flew off and is sitting on the nerve. BUT, I was given a 50/50 shot of the surgery resolving my pain. It did, only now I have the leg issue. I have no regrets.

I understand your reluctance to have the myleogram, but it might help them determine the source of your pain. You said you would give anything for a pain free moment. Unfortunately, it's gonna take more testing to give you hope of that moment you seek and hopefully many many many more.

I am so sorry you have to wait so long between treatments.

I wish you wellness. Tammy

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
    Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
    Solidly Fused Nov-2006
    A Success, but still improving!

Last edited by Justoneofus; 02-03-2007 at 10:55 AM.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:51 AM   #5
    MissTeach
    (female)

MissTeach HB User

Meachelle, has anyone told you that you are actually fused or not? Could you possibly not be fused? Is your spine shifting at all, known as spondyliosthesis?

Honestly dont know - doctors dont seems to say very much and still waiting on results of mri scan

Thanks Tammy and sorry you like me are experiencing so many problems. I havent got the the stage of them offering me much except main meds lol

Well here is waiting for the next neurologist apppointment..

Meachelle

Closed Thread