It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Sleep Number Bed

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-19-2007, 06:41 PM   #1
    olliedoll
    (female)

olliedoll HB User
    Sleep Number Bed

I am getting a sleep number bed this week? Anyone tried this type of bed? If so what do you think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2007, 07:08 PM   #2
    Laenini
    (female)

Laenini HB UserLaenini HB User
    Re: Sleep Number Bed

I had an off brand sleep number type of bed and I hated it. Maybe the real McCoy would be better, I don't know. But I didn't find the bed to be very supportive or comfortable at all. I ditched it and now have a very good quality supportive mattress with a plush pillow top and I find that to be much more comfortable. If I was going to buy a high-end mattress today, I'd pretty much get the same thing but I have seen newer models where the pillow top is made from memory foam. To me that sounds really nice. I'm 2 months post-op for a C4-5 ACDF and I also have disc protrusions at L4-5 and L5-S1 with nerve root involvement at L5, so I am definitely speaking as someone with back problems.

Is the sleep number bed returnable after you have tried it out for a few nights if you don't like it?
    C4-5 ACDF 2006
    C3-6 ACDF 2013
    Chronic Myofaschial Pain Syndrome

Old 01-19-2007, 08:22 PM   #3
    cherish1
    (female)

cherish1 HB User

I'm sorry to add that we did purchase the "real" sleep number bed, and returned it during the warranty period. This was during the very beginning of my back issues, and I just could not get comfortable at all.

Be prepared that likely won't love it at first, and they say it takes a few days or more for most people to adjust, and I just couldn't wait that long plus spend that much money.

We later purchased the same kind of mattress at the Marriott hotels, and it is heaven on earth. We had actually stayed at one in Fort Collins, CO and loved the mattress so much we hunted it down! I want to say the manufacturer is Jamison, but I'm not sure. You can actually go to the Marriott hotel website and purchase the mattress!

Last edited by cherish1; 01-19-2007 at 08:23 PM. Reason: adding more info

Old 01-19-2007, 09:08 PM   #4
    mamakitkat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mamakitkat HB User

[COLOR="Magenta"]HI Ollie,
    I have a sleep number and have had way back when they were still the select comfort only sold on TV. I have been thru 4 fusions and one shoulder surgery in the last 3 yrs. and my hubby has big time back pain too and we both LOVE it and will buy any other EVER. It does more than a few days to get used to. I love that fact that my hubby & I have completley different needs, hi sis soft and coushy and mine is very very firm 99% of the time but if I want the softer I have it in seconds. It has saved our 21 yrs marraige we would be like dick van dyke & mary tyler more with seperate beds a long time ago if it weren't for the sleep number. I will add I have had only one problem in the 7 yrs we have had ours and that was our fault while moving, we damaged the hose connection at the base of the mattress and I called and they sent me a new mattress & even paid the postage too, I should have paid like 37 bucks but they said since we have never had any past complaints they were gonna fit the bill, that was so amazing and they sripped 2 day freight too. So I guess you can see why I love them so.

Sorry to be the infomercial on here, but you did ask, lol. I have laid on those foam things, OMG I had to be pulled out of it, not very becoming in the mattress store , rofl! Everyone has thier fav I hope you find what helps your back most thats all that really matters.

Good Luck!!

God Bless

Carol[/COLOR]

Old 01-19-2007, 09:46 PM   #5
    xzx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

xzx HB User

I have a sleep number bed! I love my sleep number bed! I would take my sleep number bed anywhere and everywhere I wanted to be!!!! I have had a select comfort sleep number for 7 years now! I would not trade my bed for almost anything. It is so nice to ajust myself when sleeping or laying down, or needing more support while laying in a different position. Going togo lay down now that I am thinking about it!

Rose

Last edited by xzx; 01-19-2007 at 09:49 PM.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:35 PM   #6
    hessie28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

I tried it once during a sleep study. I didn't care for it. I actually just got an adjustable bed in November after my surgery. That is the best thing I even got. Extremely expensive as is probably the sleep number bed. My problem with the sleep number bed is that I can't lay flat still without pain. I need to have my head and feet raised. So it was really me and not the bed.

Old 01-20-2007, 08:47 AM   #7
    janx
    Inactive
    (female)

janx HB User

Hey Cherir, are you talking about what they call the "heavenly " mattress? I slept on one of those while attending an out of town conference that my job sent me too. Oh, my goodness, it was heavenly! I would love to have one of those. Thanks. brenwill

Last edited by janx; 01-20-2007 at 08:50 AM.

Old 01-20-2007, 08:51 AM   #8
    janx
    Inactive
    (female)

janx HB User

Olliedoll, I, too have been thinking about getting a different bed. Please keep us updated as to how you like the sleep number. Good luck and sweet dreams..... brenwill

Old 01-20-2007, 12:40 PM   #9
    Roy47
    Inactive
    (male)

Roy47 HB User

Olliedoll,

The wife and I purchased the top of the line thermoputic bed as seen with the person jumping up and down on it. It was not cheap; I now weigh 280 up from 220 - 230 on the average. I am just trying to hang on till the surgery it hurts to do anything more than I have to. My physical movement is minimual at the most. People are telling me that they do not believe that I way that much. I am 6ft 3 almost and have been in the gym and worked out as I have spent 21yrs working for [COLOR="SeaGreen"]UNCLE SAMS ARMY[/COLOR]. This is one of the hardest things that I have had to accept, I pay dearly for any activity that I do. IT seems so unfair to my wife and our 2 teen age girls.

I have never been this heavy; My surgery is S1-L1- L4-L5 surgery is on the 12th of Feb. 07. At this point I love our mattress and so does the wife. We can not believe that we waited so long. I loved a bed that was hard as the floor and I told her that it was her turn to pick. She made an excellent choice.

She is on the heavy side as she had thyroid cancer which was discovered during her first check with her doctor. WE are so fortunate to have this found. She had her thyroid and limpnodes removed and so on. She has done all she can do and will be heavy. I still love her. IT is the love in her heart and not the outside what is important to me. (17) years and going on.

My point is that we both love the bed and I can not tell when she gets up during the night and it is that simple she tells me that why did we wait this long????

Roy

Old 01-20-2007, 07:57 PM   #10
    kastenm
    (female)

kastenm HB User

I have an adjustable bed with a memory foam mattress(the name brand one). It was expensive, but, I think it was very much worth it. I have had back surgery at L5-S1 for herinated disk and now have arthritis and DD in my back. I can't sleep on a flat bed of any kind without waking up with horrible back pain (and tossing and turning all night) But with my adjustable bed, I find it gets the pressure off my low back and I sleep and wake almost without pain.

I tried a sleep number bed at the store, but it didn't really feel all that comfortable for me. I'm just more comfortable if I can elevate my feet and head. I found the memory foam to be comfortable from day one..and since I've been using this bed last summer, my pain is the least it's been in 3 years....or maybe it was the epidurals I had last summer???

Anyway, I say a prayer of thanks for my bed every night...Good luck...hope you can find a bed that is best for you.

Old 01-20-2007, 09:20 PM   #11
    hessie28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

I love my adjustable bed too. I'm trying to get the insurance to pay for some of it. It was almost $4,000.00. I had to get a Dual King which was the same price as the Dual Queen. With the king, my husband and I each have our own twin size bed. We have our own remote for the massage. With the queen each of our beds would have been smaller then the twin size. We are too big for that. My doctor actually wrote me a prescription for it. So waiting to see if the insurance will pay.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:34 PM   #12
    roxyroo
    (female)

roxyroo HB User

I tried this too, and didn't like it....ended up getting a tempurpedic euro model (expensive but WORTH IT!) It gives no pressure points at all, and has provided the most relief of any bed.

Closed Thread