It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Back pain gone, now numb leg and leg pain!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-23-2007, 11:08 PM   #1
    pfb2
    (male)

pfb2 HB User
    Back pain gone, now numb leg and leg pain!

I herniated L4-5 25 years ago. I've had bouts of severe back pain over the years, but nothing that has lasted more than 4 days or so. I previously had ZERO leg numbness or pain. Not even a twitch.

Two recent ESI's later, I have no backpain, but my leg is now numb with shooting pain. Almost two months...

I'm looking into all the various procedures; One neurosurgeon wants to do a fusion, another a laminectomy, and I'm looking at some of the minimally invasive stuff as well.

Has anybody else gone from back pain and no leg pain to leg pain and no back pain? The neuro's say it is a typical progression, but I'm not sure I'm completly buying it.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by pfb2; 01-23-2007 at 11:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2007, 01:34 AM   #2
    Rustysgurl
    (female)

Rustysgurl HB User
    Re: Back pain gone, now numb leg and leg pain!

I don't think I would call what you're experiencing a 'normal progression'. It almost sounds like you've got nerve compression somewhere, although for the life of me I can't figure out why no back pain. If you're not satisfied with what your doctor tells you by all means get a second opinion. Many, many people on this board have gone to 2, 3, 4 or more doctors before they found the right one to help them. I'm sorry you're going through this, and hope you get some relief very soon.

Hang in there -

Mary

Old 01-24-2007, 04:59 AM   #3
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

I went from 100% leg pain to 75% leg pain 25% back pain after epidural injections. Had a laminectomy and went to 25% leg pain. Reinjured my back in Sept and went to 60% back to 40% leg pain. I had a nerve block in December and the pain jumps all around I could not give you a fixed % as it changes all the time.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:09 AM   #4
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]As Mary said , you probably have a pinched nerve or somthing ? I had a Laminectomy and a fusion at the same time . I still have leg pain and back pain , but the leg pain is way more.
    Make sure your Dr. specializes in the spine or has a fellowship in the spine.[/SIZE][/COLOR][QUOTE=pfb2;2760255]I herniated L4-5 25 years ago. I've had bouts of severe back pain over the years, but nothing that has lasted more than 4 days or so. I previously had ZERO leg numbness or pain. Not even a twitch.

Two recent ESI's later, I have no backpain, but my leg is now numb with shooting pain. Almost two months...

I'm looking into all the various procedures; One neurosurgeon wants to do a fusion, another a laminectomy, and I'm looking at some of the minimally invasive stuff as well.

Has anybody else gone from back pain and no leg pain to leg pain and no back pain? The neuro's say it is a typical progression, but I'm not sure I'm completly buying it.

Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Old 01-24-2007, 09:21 AM   #5
    pfb2
    (male)

pfb2 HB User

[QUOTE=Rustysgurl;2760299]Many, many people on this board have gone to 2, 3, 4 or more doctors before they found the right one to help them. [/QUOTE]

Seeing Neurosurgeon 3 & 4 this week, and plan on sending my films off to Dr. Choy in NYC, Dr. Dr. Jho in Pitt., and the Bonati institute in FL.

Hopefully I'll find some answers and a procedure that will work for me!

Old 01-24-2007, 09:24 AM   #6
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]
    I have heard good things about Dr.Jho , one of his other neurosurgeons did my fusion /Laminectomy but I have nothing good to say about him.
    Good Luck Hope you find a cure [/SIZE][/COLOR]

Old 01-24-2007, 03:29 PM   #7
    pfb2
    (male)

pfb2 HB User

Interesting results from my Neurosurgeon viisit today.

He noticed a second small bulge on the side of 4/5 right at the nerve root exit. Neither the radiologist or the prior two Neurosurgeons spotted this, and he is pretty sure it is causing my leg numbness. Furthermore, it appears on my recent (post numbness) MRI and not on my 6 month old (pre numbness) MRI's. BINGO! He can get to it without cutting the lamina (posterior lateral approach), so it should be comparitively minor surgery.

He will also extract what he can of the primary bulge, which I have had for years, without cutting into the lamina joints.

He's pretty positive it wil give me the leg relief, and I can continue to deal with the (hopefullly reduced) primary bulge back pain as it occurs. Lose 25 pounds and strenghen the core muscles and he thinks I can make it another 30+ years without significant problems...

Scheduling for next week...

Last edited by pfb2; 01-24-2007 at 03:33 PM.

Closed Thread