It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Feeling Hopeless with Spondylolysis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-24-2007, 01:31 PM   #1
    Kimmydoll
    (female)

Kimmydoll HB User
    Feeling Hopeless with Spondylolysis

Hello I am new the this message board I was doing research and found all you wonderful people who have the same problem as I do.

I am a 30 year old female who had a motorcycle accident in March 2005 and since then I would have crazy pain in my leg and lower back and after a year of medication and heating pads my primary care doctor sends me for a MRI in December 2006. So the MRI report reads-

"There is Spondylolysis at L5 causing a mild degree of listesis at L5-S1. There is also a broad-based discal prolapse at the same level. This in combination with the listesis is causing significant bilateral neuroforaminal stenoisis worse on the right side at the same level. The nerve root appears swollen at both levels. The other disc spaces are normal.

IMPRESSION: Lisis at L5 causing mild listeseis of L5-S1 associated with central discal prolapse and causing bilateral neuroforaminal stenosis, right worse than left aat the same level. "

So after the Orthopedic tries to explain this to me and shows me on the MRI how itís a centimeter out of line he recommends surgery and we have scheduled the surgery for February 26, 2006. What would you do or can anybody give me their thought? I know only I can make the decision to have the surgery and I feel like if I donít have it do it I just live with the pain for as long as I can and take a risk on my unstable spine. I am only 30 years old with one child and I canít enjoy the lifestyle I once had. The doctors wonít give me certain pain medication anymore because I got hooked on them. I just feel like everything is happening so fast. I feel hopeless and very much depressed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User
    Re: Feeling Hopeless with Spondylolysis

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]First off welcome to the boards , you'll find alot of info from people like you and I , I also have spondylolisthesis mine actually broke . It's up to you to have the surgery , I'm still having problems but glad I had my surgery. Sorry for your pain , hope it works out for you [/SIZE][/COLOR]

Old 01-25-2007, 09:23 AM   #3
    ibake&pray
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]Kimmydoll, sorry for the bad news. What you need to take into account is that this isn't going to get better. You don't want to wait until you have done permanent damage to your back. You have a child that is only going to get busier. Can you handle the little one at warp speed with your back the way it is?

You said you can't take pain killers...are you willing to live in pain? These are things you need to decide. Only you can do that. I know that I delayed my surgery and now have permanent nerve damage.

This is a great place to ask questions and to vent....welcome to the club![/COLOR]

Old 01-25-2007, 09:56 AM   #4
    Tucsonlady40
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tucsonlady40 HB User

Hi Kimmydoll and welcome to the board,

I don't have spinal stenosis, but have researched it and know from what others have said, that it's a narrowing of the spinal canal.

Also, with the nerve root being swollen at both ends, doesn't sound like you can wait to long without permanent nerve damage. I am not a dr. but live with back pain now and have for many years. I have also had a lami and then 8 months later a fusion w/ hardware.

You should get a second opinion, for your own reassurance, especially if your not sure.

Please take care and please keep posting to let us know how your doing and what you decide.

I wish you well with this hard decision,

Bernie

Old 01-29-2007, 10:09 AM   #5
    Kimmydoll
    (female)

Kimmydoll HB User

If you don't mind me asking shawley what kind of promblems are you still having?

Old 01-30-2007, 06:14 AM   #6
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Kimmy ,
    Hi , besides the dull aching in my back , I have nerve damage. My back starts to throb like jolts shooting down into my buttox, and down my outside of leg and across my ankle and over the outside of my left foot and onto the toes and tops of my feet. It's feels like my foot is being crushed.
    Someday's I just want to scream because the pain is terrible, ,If I just sit aroundmy house and get up now and then my pain level is only a 4 or 5 but it's enough to drive you crazzy , but if I walk or stand to long watchout ! It hurts like MAD ! My doctor think's it's from scar tissue but I'm getting a little tired of him saying that. I just had scar tissue removed in July and he installed a sleeve around my dura to protect from tissue growing on it so how can it be scar problems ?

Any more questions ? Sorry I blabbed for so long.

Closed Thread