It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Depressed, Discourage, Pain 24/7 after almost 9weeks Micro-D

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-25-2007, 06:01 PM   #1
    hurtie0607
    (female)

hurtie0607 HB User
    Depressed, Discourage, Pain 24/7 after almost 9weeks Micro-D

Hi Everyone,
    Gosh, I don't know what I would do without this board. I haven't posted much because it is literally a pain in the --- for me to sit very long! This is my situation. I had a micro-d on 11/22 for the worst pain in my life sciatica. My leg strength has improved and I no longer have pain all the way to my toes - yipee. However, the pain remains constantly in my left rear cheek, into my groin and the anterior and posterior thigh about 4" down.

I went to a new ortho doc today and he told me it is possible that there is a reherniation - oh no. Or even worse a higher up herniation. Or maybe I just overdid things. Or it could be just referred pain, as my surgery really wasn't that long ago, and the nerve was very very compressed. I didn't bring my previous MRI film as this is after the fact. So I am now back on the Vicodin, as I can't sleep through the night because of pain. I have an appointment with him again this Monday and will bring in my MRI of 10/06. He didn't think it was my SI joint. He is talking about an injection ( steroid ) in the nerve root. I probably will have to have another MRI. This is certainly not the way I presumed my recovery would be. So I ask for your valuable opinions. I can beel my OCD kicking in overdrive. I work in the health care system and understand all the medical "stuff". Has anyone else had the symptoms that I just described, and then they just went away?

Well, I really can't sit any longer so I truly wish everyone a good nights sleep, peace and healing. I pray every night for everyone on this board.
    Kay

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2007, 06:39 PM   #2
    Tucsonlady40
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tucsonlady40 HB User
    Re: Depressed, Discourage, Pain 24/7 after almost 9weeks Micro-D

Hi Kay,

I am so sorry that your still in pain. After a micro surgery, it can take weeks to months for recovery. Hopefully thats the case and just need time for the nerves to heal, and you didn't reherniate. Reherniation is always a possibility though.

It sounds like your on the right track with this new Dr., and he seems to be leaving the door open for all the "it could be's". Hopefully he will be ordering another Mri if you don't get any relief soon, and then get you back on the road to recovery.

I sure wish you well and hope you can get some rest tonight.

Take care,

Bernie

Old 01-25-2007, 08:20 PM   #3
    Justoneofus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Justoneofus HB User

You might get lucky that it's just a flare up and you are swollen. Have you even tried a medrol pack yet?

Recovery is not always simple and for some it just takes time, better known as the "slow healers".

Even though I fused solidly pretty fast, I am still healing from my fusion 9months ago.

I have had some horrible flare ups along this journey and am sure there are more to come as I continue to heal. My Rehab therapist told me to expect them, to respect them, heal and move on from them. This is considered "normal" to the healing process. That has helped to mentally carry me through them when they occur.

I hope things go well for you and that it's just part of the healing process for you. let us know how it goes for you.

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
    Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
    Solidly Fused Nov-2006
    A Success, but still improving!

Old 01-26-2007, 08:42 AM   #4
    hurtie0607
    (female)

hurtie0607 HB User

Hi,
    Thanks so much to both of you for your replies. Your right it is difficult mentally and physically to cope when one does not recover on schedule. No, I did not try the Medrol Pak. My ortho was going to give me same on my visit, but did not do so because he didn't want to overload my system w/steroids as he was thinking I might need the injection. I suppose I would have to have another MRI, because how would they know where the problem was? I still am not in total agreement about this problem not being related to the SI joint. So now what to do. It is so difficult to wait and see, I guess it must be might Type A personality.
    I am due back to work the end of next month. I hope all will resolve by then. If it doesn't well, I am not sure if I will be able to keep my position. These back problems are so complicated. Sometimes I think I drive myself "mad" searching and researching info.

I feel guilty for complaining about my problem, as I just had a small procedure, in comparison to what both of you went through and others on this board. Thank goodness for so much support on this board. It is so comforting to be able to be able to vent and have people listen with genuine concern. I will keep you posted about my appointment on Monday.
    Peace and healing - Kay

Old 01-26-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Kay, I just want to send you a cyber hug and let you know you are in my prayers.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:17 AM   #6
    hurtie0607
    (female)

hurtie0607 HB User

Hi Pepper,
    Thanks so much for your prayers and good wishes. I will DEFINETLY remember you in my prayers, for your surgery on Feb. 1st. Prayer does work and does change things - for the better. You are awesome. Please take good care - and a big (((hug))) to you too. Will be looking for your posts, when you are up to it. The best of luck

God Bless - Kay

Old 01-27-2007, 11:00 AM   #7
    MAD MAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MAD MAZ HB User

I hope you start to feel better real soon !!

Pain is no fun, I know I have it everyday.

You take good care in my prayers you will be God Bless...Mandy

Old 01-27-2007, 05:04 PM   #8
    Tuttie51
    (female)

Tuttie51 HB User

[QUOTE=hurtie0607;2763999]Hi Everyone,
    Gosh, I don't know what I would do without this board. I haven't posted much because it is literally a pain in the --- for me to sit very long! This is my situation. I had a micro-d on 11/22 for the worst pain in my life sciatica. My leg strength has improved and I no longer have pain all the way to my toes - yipee. However, the pain remains constantly in my left rear cheek, into my groin and the anterior and posterior thigh about 4" down.

I went to a new ortho doc today and he told me it is possible that there is a reherniation - oh no. Or even worse a higher up herniation. Or maybe I just overdid things. Or it could be just referred pain, as my surgery really wasn't that long ago, and the nerve was very very compressed. I didn't bring my previous MRI film as this is after the fact. So I am now back on the Vicodin, as I can't sleep through the night because of pain. I have an appointment with him again this Monday and will bring in my MRI of 10/06. He didn't think it was my SI joint. He is talking about an injection ( steroid ) in the nerve root. I probably will have to have another MRI. This is certainly not the way I presumed my recovery would be. So I ask for your valuable opinions. I can beel my OCD kicking in overdrive. I work in the health care system and understand all the medical "stuff". Has anyone else had the symptoms that I just described, and then they just went away?

Well, I really can't sit any longer so I truly wish everyone a good nights sleep, peace and healing. I pray every night for everyone on this board.
    Kay [/QUOTE]

Hi Kay
    I am like you except I had my Micro-D in 8/05 and It hurts to sit long. My pain starts in the left cheek all the way down my left leg (inside) all the way down to my toes.......before the surgery it was worse....but I consider this just as worse now.....a slow recovery here.

I hope yours gets better

Old 01-28-2007, 01:54 PM   #9
    hurtie0607
    (female)

hurtie0607 HB User

Hi Tuttie,
    You mentioned you had your Micro-D in 05, and still have pain My gosh, you have suffered for so long. Where was your herniation at? Mine was L4-L5. I had a piece of the annulus ( I believe that is the correct spelling ), which is the ring the surrounds the disc itself break off. It was "stuck" under the L4 nerve root and displaced it. Also, the disc itself leaked into the nerve. I am so disgusted with this pain and the surgery not working out the way I thought it would. I am not sure if I read in your post if you tried the injections? I am going to see a new Ortho doc, as my neuro surgeon seems to have the wait and see attitude. I am trying to get my life back ( no pun ). I am back on the Vicodin -as the pain shows no mercy.
    Why didn't you Micro-D work out well? What did you surgeon say went wrong? My main problem is the sitting issue. You feel like you stuck in Limibo somewhere.
    I hope all works out well for you. Please let me know how you are.
    Peace and Wellness Kay

Closed Thread