It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Nerve Block???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-31-2007, 05:22 AM   #1
    marie40
    (female)

marie40 HB User
    Nerve Block???

Good Morning. I was wondering if anyone has had a nerve block done in L3. I have had many spinal injections so I am not really worried about it. I was wondering if this helped anyone. I have had 3 surgeries on my back now (last being the fusion of L 3- S1) and now I have scar tissue formed and pressing on the nerve that was already damaged prior to surgery. They are going to try to inject L3 to see if this helps, if not, it is back to the 'cutting board'! (the surgery will be to remove the scar tissue and then shave off a bit of the bone to make room for the nerve when and if the scar tissue returns. ) Anyhow, my nerve block is tomorrow and I was just wondering what to expect. Is it basically the same as other spinal injections we get for pain/steriods/etc. ??? I know I have to be NPO for 4 hrs. before and I haven't had to do that before for regular injections. Anyhow, any info you have would be great. Thank you. Marie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2007, 05:26 AM   #2
    yvette777
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yvette777 HB User
    Re: Nerve Block???

I have never had one. But, someone that I know had constant nerve pain after fusion. After awhole bunch of stuff he finally got a nerve deading block and he said the pain went away and never came back and its been three years. So there is hope.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:31 AM   #3
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Marie I also had 3 surgeries , and one was to remove scar tissue. I wouldn't have had that surgery if the doctor didn't tell me he was going to remove my hardware. I read to many articles about when they cut you more scar grows anyhow. The surgery didn't help me at all. My pain now is worse than before. The injections should be under fluorscope and it's kind of like any other injection ,it can take a day or two to work. I get nerve blocks , matter of fact I go on the second for one. My first one seemed to work pretty good ,the 2nd wasn't great ,no relief . But I think the doctor didn't get it right, I had a nurse do it. He wasn't that good.

The surgery about shaving the bone seem's like it could benefit you.
    I just wish you the best and hope everything works for you.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:30 PM   #4
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

I had a nerve block done in December on L5. On the day you have the block done you must have pain, they gave me vacet (sp?) to sedate me slightly, and the doctor did his thing in the OR under fluroscopy, and sent me to the recovery room. He came back in and asked me about my pain. It was 100% gone which let us know that L5 was the culprit of my pain. The next day my pain was back in full force. I am now facing a fusion tomorrow on L5.

So as far as helping me -- pain wise no but it definitely told us what disc was the problem.

Good luck and please let us know how you are doing.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:40 PM   #5
    marie40
    (female)

marie40 HB User

Hi there. Sorry it has been awhile since I responded. I did have the nerve block done on L3. It wasn't really that painful getting it done but I haven't seen any change in my pain or use of my right leg yet. It has been 4 days now so I am hoping maybe in time?? I know, I kinda doubt it myself but I have to keep optimistic or I will go nuts.
    You are all great on here!! Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions yvette, shawley, and dietdrpepper!! I hope your surgery went well dietdrpepper. You are all in my prayers. Marie

Closed Thread