It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Need Help Selective Nerve Root Inj. or Epidural Inj.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-01-2007, 07:57 PM   #1
    hurtie0607
    (female)

hurtie0607 HB User
    Need Help Selective Nerve Root Inj. or Epidural Inj.

Hello Everyone,
    I only have 2 more days of the Medrol Pack. I am better, but certainly not pain free. I can feel the pain inching its way back - Darn. Anyway, I still have two more days to go. Hope springs eternal - I like to think that. My Ortho doc told me if this doesn't work then....its off to the needles 0uch. Does anyone know which injection is best for the butt pain - a selective nerve root injection or an epidural? Gosh, I wouldn't even do an epi when I was in labor with all four of my kids - thought they might miss so I just did the panting thing. So here I am 30yrs later and still talking about epi's and such. Would appreciate so very much any input especially success stories. There seems to be a lack of good news on this board. There must be success stories out there, and would love to hear them. I am getting most desperate. Thought this Micro-d would be different then what it has been. I guess I should have taken better care of my back and not did all the heavy lifting around our pond. All this pain - misery - just to keep the water clear for our pond. So come this Spring...things will be different I guess.
    Peace healing and zzz's to all Kay

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2007, 08:15 PM   #2
    clover60
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

clover60 HB User
    Re: Need Help Selective Nerve Root Inj. or Epidural Inj.

I had facet joint injections and an epi. I got a few days relief and the Dr. Decided to go with the nerve burning. This to care of the leg pain but the hip and buttocks pain stayed.

Good luck

Old 02-02-2007, 10:30 AM   #3
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][SIZE="2"][B]
    Kay,
    you came to the right place for answers I just had a selective nerve root injection. I have the pain in my hip/ leg and foot. And it helps alot. The epidurals I think is mostly for the pain in your back ,because they did nothing for me, a selective nerve root injection get right to the main root of pain so I would believe its better for pain ,it works for me. I got to watch the needle go into my spine on the fluoroscopic machine it was awsome. I hate needles to but honestly I didn't feel much at all compared to the epidural injection.

Hope I helped you in some way . [/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Old 02-03-2007, 05:31 AM   #4
    ktnap
    (female)

ktnap HB User

I'm still confused about the difference... when I scheduled my appt. for my selective nerve root injection, the nurse gave me information on the epidural injection. I brought up that that doctor wanted me to have a selective nerve root injection. She said that they are the same thing. When I went in for the shot, they were still calling it an epidural. I'm still not sure of the difference... Whatever I had only lasted about 4 days.

When my Sacroilliac injection only gave me 4 days of relief, the doctor said it was the anesthetic that provided it. I'm assuming that's all that gave me relief in the last shot too. I'm to schedule another epidural?/selective nerve root injection? but I've had to get some insurance problems squared away before spending more money! Sometimes I think the injections are just their way of keeping us going in to get more money in their pockets...

I hope things work out better for you!

Old 02-03-2007, 05:30 PM   #5
    hurtie0607
    (female)

hurtie0607 HB User

Ok, here is what I know about the different kinds of steroid injections. An epidural block is an injection of pain medicine and also a steroid. It is given so all medication reaches all the different nerve roots in the lower spine ( lumbar ). A selective nerve block is different. Instead of the medication covering all the nerve roots. The SNB will be will be used to specifically target one or two spinal nerves. I would think that it would be best if one knew which nerve was the “trouble maker”. Thus, the medication could be directed to the correct nerve. It seems to me that an epidural injection kind of washes all the nerve roots in steroids and whatever other medication is used.
    I am to see my Ortho this Monday, and since my results were less than I expected with the Medrol Pak, well, then I guess I will try the injection. Or maybe I will just wait and take pain meds, and hopefull it will simmer down in a couple of weeks. I will see what my doctor thinks. Meanwhile I wish and pray that everyone finds a solution to their pain.
    God Bless Kay

Closed Thread