It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Cymbalta, anyone?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-13-2007, 09:18 PM   #1
    orchidflower24
    (female)

orchidflower24 HB User
    Cymbalta, anyone?

[I]I am five weeks post ALIF L4-L5 lumbar fusion and have been having a lot of trouble with nerve pain...I think. Since 12/20, I have also had a series of three nerve root injections, with some relief. I am, currently, taking Lyrica; and I cannot handle the side effects that go along with that medicine. Has anyone had any experiences, good or bad with cymbalta?

I hope and pray that someday the only people writing on this message board are newly diagnosed with back pain and can get their problems taken care of, quickly.

God bless all of you. [/I]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2007, 04:41 AM   #2
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User
    Re: Cymbalta, anyone?

I know Yvette is taking this meds and it has done wonders for her. Hopefully she will post.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:04 AM   #3
    yvette777
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yvette777 HB User

The cymbalta has helped me alot. I was really depressed to. My doctor explained it to me like this....when you take a pain medicine like vicodin it effects a part in your brain that is sending pain signals. The cymbalta he said would work right at the spine, where the spine isn't sending the signals to the brain. The nurse told me a few wonderful storys of friends that had been taking it.

My foot and ankle pain had decreased alot the nerve stuff, but still there, however I haven't adjusted the medicine at all. Also I do not feel depressed anymore, so that in itself was a miracle, I had gotten really down.

It made me feel nautisous and weird at first, i ate crackers all the time like someone here suggested and within a couple of weeks...I felt alot better.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:57 AM   #4
    Avalon
    (female)

Avalon HB UserAvalon HB UserAvalon HB UserAvalon HB User

I didn't have a good experience w/Cymbalta. It didn't really help my back pain but I couldn't stay it on it too long to find out due to the side effects. The REAL problem was trying to get OFF it. It was horrible. There are whole message boards on people who've had problems trying to get off this stuff. I actually had to go back on it, detox VERY slowly (for weeks), even down to opening up the capsules and counting the grains ... and I still went through withdrawal for a few weeks when I stopped. Sorry for the negative report -- but there were enough people on that other message board that I thought you should know before deciding whether to take it. (My doctor completely disagrees with me that I was going through withdrawal from Cymbalta, by the way -- he said it must've been something else. Well, that's how I ended up finding that other board and realizing I was not crazy.) Good luck.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:02 AM   #5
    Justoneofus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Justoneofus HB User

[QUOTE=yvette777;2799301]The cymbalta has helped me alot. I was really depressed to. My doctor explained it to me like this....when you take a pain medicine like vicodin it effects a part in your brain that is sending pain signals. The cymbalta he said would work right at the spine, where the spine isn't sending the signals to the brain. The nurse told me a few wonderful storys of friends that had been taking it.

My foot and ankle pain had decreased alot the nerve stuff, but still there, however I haven't adjusted the medicine at all. Also I do not feel depressed anymore, so that in itself was a miracle, I had gotten really down.

It made me feel nautisous and weird at first, i ate crackers all the time like someone here suggested and within a couple of weeks...I felt alot better.[/QUOTE]

Yvette, have you gained any weight or have any swelling from taking the Cymbalta? How is your mental retention, memory, etc? I can't take neurontin or lyrica cuz of the serious side effects to the point of fever, muscle weakness, etc. I have Cymbalta in my cabinet and have contemplated trying it, but have fear of repeat history and also going loopy! I have a job where my mind MUST be sharp! I am a paralegal. I would hate to create a legal doc that would adversely effect our clients, if you know what I mean! That would not go over too well! Egads.. just thinking of that! lol.

Im also back in school and TRYING to retain biochemistry! Ya, I know.. YUCK! My thoughts also, but I need this for my certification I am working toward.

Do you feel like yourself on this medication, but with less pain?

Tammy

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
    Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
    Solidly Fused Nov-2006
    A Success, but still improving!

Old 02-14-2007, 03:07 PM   #6
    yvette777
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yvette777 HB User

No I haven't gained any weight YET or anything and my memory is fine. I thought I should tell you that what it has helped with is the nerve pain in my legs and ankles and feet not the actual back pain, ofcourse the pain meds help with that, and nothing was touching the nerve pain.

I just thought I had to give it a shot, but I was really depressed to, so it was a double thing for me.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:42 PM   #7
    littlelady2852
    (female)

littlelady2852 HB User
    Unhappy Re: Cymbalta, anyone?

I am on Cymbalta 90 mg a day and i am doing fine as far as depression, But i am still having pain in my back due to a Arachniod Cyst. I am trying to find a doctor to see about the pain. All the doctors i have been to will not give me anything for pain. Is that because i am on Cymbalta ? I have no health insurance to have the cyst took out because i am on Long Term Disability.
    Any suggestions would be great !! Thanks
    Hurting in South Carolina .. KC

Old 02-15-2007, 05:29 AM   #8
    yvette777
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yvette777 HB User

I take pain meds to, and actually every doctor has agreed I should be on both.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:39 AM   #9
    onyxgates
    Veteran
    (female)

onyxgates HB User

I have been on this for a month and I am very happy. I was getting horrible headaches, numbness down my right arm and my pain meds weren't working very well. I was also depressed. I feel much better. The pain meds are more effective, I no longer have numbness and headaches. I still have emotions but I am not as depressed. The only downfall is the amount of sleep I require. It is hard to get motivated...but once you start you are okay it's just hard to start. I would recommend this to anyone who is depressed and in pain as it was a lifesaver for me.

Closed Thread