It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• What do you guys think?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-15-2007, 09:36 AM   #1
    xzx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

xzx HB User
    What do you guys think?

A couple of weeks ago my right hip started hurting me. Now the right side of my incision to my buttock to my hip are killing me, jabbing pain and just feeling like a big bruise. Every now and again I get a stabbing pain right by my spine. Now my ankles are swollen! I can't even see my ankle bone anymore! My feet feel like I have been standing on them for hours ( have not been ) What in the world is going on now! I just want to be getting better not having more issues! Please help! Doc's office is not that much help, they make me feel stupid for calling and I don't get answers. Help.

Rose

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2007, 11:05 AM   #2
    BlueAtlas
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
    Re: What do you guys think?

Hi Rose,
    Sounds like your doctor has some real jerks working for him! No question is a stupid question, especially from a post-op patient. And I think you have some very legitimate concerns. Did your doctor do your fusion with your own bone? If he took bone from your hip, that could be the source of your pain. I've heard that pain from harvesting that bone can be worse than the back pain. Is it red or swollen looking at all? If it is, it could be that you've got some infection going on in there, and it should be seen ASAP. I've also found that when I take a step back from my pain meds, after a day or two I'm having all sorts of pain that I didn't know was there. When is your next follow-up appt? If it's very far off, I'd go ahead and persist with calling the office. Be sweet, but be firm and tell them it just seems like something isn't right and you need to know if this is normal or not.

I have the swollen ankles, too. I was afraid to ask my doctor at my last appt because I wondered if the brace might be causing it, interfering with circulation just enough to cause swelling. He was already wanting me to wean off the brace, but I didn't feel ready. I was afraid he would put his foot down about it. I did ask my therapist. She said since it's been going on for quite a while, she didn't suspect a blood clot or anything else that would be really serious. She said I should ask the doctor, which is, of course, exactly what she should have said. I see him tomorrow, and I'm ready to wean out of the brace, so the swollen ankles question is on my list to discuss with him. Do you have one swollen more than the other? My left is significantly more than the right. If I make sure I lay down for at least an hour or two in the middle of the day, it helps. I can't even wear my nice warm thick socks. I can't get my shoes on with these swollen ankles unless I have thin socks on.

Maybe someone else has been through this and has an answer.

I hope someone in your doctor's office takes the time to listen to you. Post back if you find anything out. I wish you relief!!!

Blessings,
    Emily

Old 02-15-2007, 11:50 AM   #3
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

I would definitely be calling the doctor's office. I hope you find an answer soon and are feeling better.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:37 PM   #4
    clover60
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

clover60 HB User

I sure hope you get an answer soon it doesn't sound to good.

I would call again and try to get an answer. They sound be more understanding to post op patients.

Good luck
    Sandy

Old 02-15-2007, 03:10 PM   #5
    xzx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

xzx HB User

Hi everyone, Well the saga continues... Emily I did not have bone taken out of my hip. My back is swollen but not red. My neuro office called back this afternoon, surgical nurse asked me if I have arthritis? wouldn't they know if I did?! I am taking lyrica and asked her if my feet swelling could be from that, get this she say's Well you are to young to have a reaction like that from lyrica! I felt like screaming at her yeah I am to young to have had a 2 level fusion, but go figure. She goes on to tell me no more pain pills until I see my GP. So, I was lucky and got appt. with my GP. Went to see her, she says I have swollen muscles on the right side and into my hip and buttocks ( no duh ) she thinks in my hip I have piritirmis, bursitis and something else I can't read. She said the swollen feet is from the lyrica ( unless tests say otherwise ). She gave me a rx for lidocaine patches to put on my back and hip. Since neuro office wont give anything for pain. I just don't understand this! I have half a mind togo to the neuro's office tommorow and get answers! I wish I did not need pain relief! But unfortunatly I do. So what do I do if the pain gets worse and I don't have anything to take? What do I do then? I am just so frustrated! Thanks for letting me vent. Going togo cry now.

Rose

Old 02-15-2007, 03:16 PM   #6
    yvette777
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yvette777 HB User

rose why won't they give you pain meds? I don't understand that!!!!!! I hope you feel better soon!!! I wish their was something I could say to make it all feel better. Praying for you!!

Old 02-15-2007, 03:35 PM   #7
    BlueAtlas
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Ditto!!! You just had major surgery! I'm 4 1/2 months post op and still taking Vicodin. I'm very upset with your doctor!

I hope the patches give you some help. Do let us know how you're doing. I wish we lived close and I knew who you were. We could sit and watch movies together!

((((((((((Hugs))))))))))

Emily

Old 02-15-2007, 07:29 PM   #8
    xzx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

xzx HB User

Ok, after some ice cream and M & M's I feel a bit calmer. Calling neuro in the morning, if not going there. The lidocain patch is helping with my hip pain, can think about a few other things now besides pain. I don't understand why I have to have a battle for some pain relief? I am abnormal here? should I not still need them? I am confused. I don't understand why I had togo to my GP for back related pain? Watching a good movie with friends sounds good. Thank god for ice cream.

Rose

Old 02-15-2007, 08:46 PM   #9
    clover60
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

clover60 HB User

Jenni
    I am so sorry that you are going thru this. I do not understand why they will not give you anymore pain meds. Why did they want you to see the GP.

I would go to the ER if the pain gets to where you can not stand it and you can not see the neuro

You may want to consider trying to find another Dr.

Good luck I will keep you in my prayers.

Sandy

Old 02-16-2007, 12:48 PM   #10
    xzx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

xzx HB User

Hi Guys, I went to physical therapy, then over to my neurosurgen's office ( they are on the same floor ). I spoke to his nurse for about a good half hour. It turns out I am allergic to lyrcia, that is why my feet are so swollen. She said when she saw me I looked puffy. Not to mention the weight gain in the past month! So no more lyrica for me. She went on to say that they want to help me with this pain, so we are trying ultram every 4 - 6 hours over the weekend. The nurse could not talk to the doc today ( he is in surgery ) so she is going to talk to him more indepth on Monday. So I will here more news then. She wants me to rest more than I am, so again resting is good. Then we will get this hip pain to calm down and I can get back to healing! ugh! To top everything off I have been so stressed out the past few days my face has broken out! You would think I was 13 again. So imagin this everyone... my eye's are swollen from crying, my face is spotty, I am walking with a cane and a limb, and I am puffy! At least I am laughing at myself! lol! What is next???

Rose

Old 02-16-2007, 02:14 PM   #11
    BlueAtlas
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yea! Sounds like you're getting somewhere! I'm glad you went over and talked to the nurse and she listened to you!

Hopefully, some extra rest and the Ultram over the weekend will make a difference for you. So she said the swollen ankles were from the Lyrica? I almost wish I were on it so I could stop it! I asked my doctor today about my swollen ankles and he said he has no idea why. If it persists much longer, he'll send me to a vascular surgeon. Not looking forward to that!

I have the clearest skin I've had in years, but I still use Clearasil every morning and every night. Isn't that pitiful? Most women my age are using Oil of Olay to moisturize. I'm still trying to dry up! No spots as long as I keep up the teenager routine with the Clearasil! Just think how extra good you're going to look when this is all behind you! It's coming, maybe sooner than you think. I haven't had my cane out of the car in over a week! You're not that far behind me in all this.

Take care, and get lots of rest this weekend!

Blessings,
    Emily

Old 02-16-2007, 04:24 PM   #12
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Wow!! I am so sorry. Thank goodness you were able to talk to the nurse and she was so understanding. I would be sure to relay that to the doctor. I pray that the ultram helps you over the weekend and you will be feeling better in no time.

God Bless.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:04 PM   #13
    clover60
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

clover60 HB User

Rose
    I am so glad that you went and talked to the nurse. I am also glad you did not get any sicker from the lyrica. I sure hope the ultram and resting helps you some and maybe the Dr and nurse will come up with a plan of action to help you.

You are in my thoughts and prayers
    Sandy

Old 03-08-2007, 12:49 AM   #14
    GBRBHR
    (female)

GBRBHR HB User

[QUOTE=BlueAtlas;2802099]Hi Rose,
    Sounds like your doctor has some real jerks working for him! No question is a stupid question, especially from a post-op patient. And I think you have some very legitimate concerns. Did your doctor do your fusion with your own bone? If he took bone from your hip, that could be the source of your pain. I've heard that pain from harvesting that bone can be worse than the back pain. Is it red or swollen looking at all? If it is, it could be that you've got some infection going on in there, and it should be seen ASAP. I've also found that when I take a step back from my pain meds, after a day or two I'm having all sorts of pain that I didn't know was there. When is your next follow-up appt? If it's very far off, I'd go ahead and persist with calling the office. Be sweet, but be firm and tell them it just seems like something isn't right and you need to know if this is normal or not.

I have the swollen ankles, too. I was afraid to ask my doctor at my last appt because I wondered if the brace might be causing it, interfering with circulation just enough to cause swelling. He was already wanting me to wean off the brace, but I didn't feel ready. I was afraid he would put his foot down about it. I did ask my therapist. She said since it's been going on for quite a while, she didn't suspect a blood clot or anything else that would be really serious. She said I should ask the doctor, which is, of course, exactly what she should have said. I see him tomorrow, and I'm ready to wean out of the brace, so the swollen ankles question is on my list to discuss with him. Do you have one swollen more than the other? My left is significantly more than the right. If I make sure I lay down for at least an hour or two in the middle of the day, it helps. I can't even wear my nice warm thick socks. I can't get my shoes on with these swollen ankles unless I have thin socks on.

Maybe someone else has been through this and has an answer.

I hope someone in your doctor's office takes the time to listen to you. Post back if you find anything out. I wish you relief!!!

Blessings,
    Emily[/QUOTE]
    Emily, I am a new member and I am particularly interested in finding out if you ever got an answer regarding your swollen ankles. I am 2 months post surgery for an L4-5 fusion. This is my 3rd surgery in 20 years because of scoliosis and degenerative disc disease. I am standing relatively straight for the first time in as many years, the severe pain in my left leg and ankle that drove me to this surgery is nearly gone, I'm walking 2-3 miles with ease, but suddenly my left ankle and foot are swelling like both ankles did when I was pregnant nearly 40 years ago. My right foot is also swollen, but not as much. Weird thing is, I have been using an external BMI SpinalPak II which is a bone fusion stimulator prescribed by my doctor. I don't know anyone else who has used this on the lumbar area. I can't help wondering if the electrodes that are supposed to be encouraging bone growth are also encouraging pain in my hands and swelling in my hands and feet as well, since the formerly squashed nerve that was causing my pain is right in the line of the electrode fire. Sometimes doctors - especially surgeons - are the most tunnel-visioned professionals to turn to. My pharmacist and chiropractor understand how many off the chart reactions I've had to different medications, but some doctors have literally denied the possibility of what I have already experienced, so their opinions are not necessarily of any import to me. (God forbid if you badmouth a med or device that they're secretly invested in.) So far, I've had an ultrasound test for a blood clot immediately after seeing my new internist. We're all happy that it came out negative, but no other option has been offered to explain the swelling. Please keep me posted of any new information you may receive and I'll do the same for you since we have a common concern, and I've never been one to be satisfied with an unacceptable explanation, or worse, the brushoff when it comes to questions regarding my health. Unfortunately, my former beloved orthopedic surgeon/guru/teacher/champion of 20 years died suddenly 2 years ago, and here I am with a new set of doctors (an orthopedic and neuro surgeon) who performed a fine surgery, but couldn't really care less about me as a person. So many of us have discovered how lousy or practically non-existent the after care is. It really is up to the patient to seek out a compatible professional support system as well as peer support to help with the healing process.

Looking forward to your response. (I hope I'll know where and how to retrieve it.)

GBRBHR (alias Barbara)

Old 03-08-2007, 07:00 AM   #15
    BlueAtlas
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Barbara, I started a new thread for you. Look for "To GBRBHR from Emily." I'd like to know your story, and yes I figured out the swelling problem. See you on the other thread!

Emily

Closed Thread