It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Post-op Swollen Ankles

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-16-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
    BlueAtlas
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
    Post-op Swollen Ankles

I'm almost 5 months post-op fusion. I had swollen ankles from the beginning, more on one side than the other. I still have a little swelling on the right, but quite a lot on the left. I asked my doctor today about it. He doesn't suspect any clots, as it's been so long since surgery. He said he really didn't know why I'm having this swelling. If it continues, he'll send me to a vascular surgeon, but I think he would do that just because he doesn't know who else to have me see. Has anyone else had this for so long? Do you know what caused it? How long did it take for the swelling to go away?

I'm only taking Vicodin and Colace at this point, and neither of them should cause this.

Thanks for any suggestions you have. It's minor compared to back pain, but it does get painful by the end of the day.

~Emily

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2007, 04:40 PM   #2
    Justoneofus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Justoneofus HB User
    Re: Post-op Swollen Ankles

Emily, I've forgotten are you in Richmond area or northern area? Just wondered who your docs were, since there are several of us here in Va area in close proximity.

Umm.. in trying to answer your question.. I have had major swelling issues all through this process. The beginning being the most horrific and then adverse reactions to meds made it all the worse. Of course, mences.. is a guarantee swell fest each month for me, but last month was the least noticed I have had so far. I have one side that is more swollen than the other, though it is minimal difference.

My dad had this issue after his quad bypass and them stripping veins from his legs. One leg continues to swell occasionally and is obviously larger than the other. I don't know the answer and neither does the current doc. I am still not convinced that it has something to do with a symptom of the BMP they used on me, or that I am hypersensitive to the titanium with all of my allergies.

Huh! Silly brain thought!! High end GOLD is about the only medal I know of that I dont react to. Can you imagine having that kind of internal BLING BLING? hahaha! Kiddin aside, it's not strong enough a medal for back there.. but couldnt help but throw that out there! Does BLING BLING count if you can't SHOW IT to anyone???? hahaha!

How swollen are we talking with your ankles.. and is it more.. like your feet/toes? or just ankles?

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
    Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
    Solidly Fused Nov-2006
    A Success, but still improving!

Old 02-17-2007, 06:56 AM   #3
    BlueAtlas
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Hi Tammy,
    I'm just outside Richmond. When you guys up in Northern VA got all that snow this week, we just got rain. Fine with me! My boys were disappointed, though. Partly they like to play in it, but mostly, since they both work at Chick-fil-A, they wanted snow so no customers would come! (Silly them, if there aren't customers they have to just scrub every corner. No down time! Cleanest fast food place I've ever been in!)

Thanks for your thoughts on this. It seems like the whole foot is just slightly swollen, but the ankle takes the brunt of it. It looks like someone cut a small tangerine in half and planted half on each side of that one ankle. The other is less swollen. The doctor said maybe that one was worse because they did more "pulling" on that side. It doesn't change at any particular time of the month. If it was an allergy to the titanium I would think both ankles would be about equally swollen. (But who knows?) I'm baffled. It was reasonable in the beginning, but it's been almost 5 months now. All the other post-op swelling is long gone. It's getting old trying to find the thinnest socks in the sock drawer so I can get my shoes on!

I would say the internal BLING BLING counts just as much. You can tell people you not only have a heart of gold, you have a spine of gold! Your boyfriend knows this is a real allergy, right? If you have to be allergic, at least you did it in the right direction. (Gee, honey, that 24 carat gold is nice, but I'm allergic to it. Can you get me this lovely tin necklace instead?)

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Blessings,
    Emily

Old 02-17-2007, 07:47 AM   #4
    mamakitkat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mamakitkat HB User

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Hi Emily & Tammy,
    I'm so glad to see we all survived the snow storm, or rain in Emily's case. My son only had one day of school last week, he was so very thrilled.
    Tammy, love the idea of the bling, too bad it's not sturdy enough.

I have had swelling in the leg that suffered the nerve damage ever since my last surgery, over a year ago. Some days it's so bad I can hardly walk on it when I get up in the morning, which is strange since most swelling occurs during the day, mine occurs day & night while sleeping. It has never really been addressed since it's the minor problem for me I just let it go. They did do an unltrasound (I think) while I was still in the hospital (11 days) to make sure my leg & foot pain wasn't blod clot related then but thats really about all that was done.

I do hope you find an answer to your trouble, it can be very frustrating dealing with the swelling some days.

God Bless

Carol[/COLOR]

Old 02-18-2007, 06:48 AM   #5
    xzx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

xzx HB User

Hi Emily - As you know I have been dealing with swollen ankles also ( as the nurse said I look puffy ). I was told it was the Lyrica was causing the swelling. So I have been off Lyrica now for 24 hours and I am still swollen, don't think as bad as I was. Has the doc ran any tests on you yet about your swelling? I had to go to my GP for the swelling ( remember I am too young to have swelling from Lyrica, lol ) She did some blood tests and a urine dip just to see if my insides are working correctly. I can understand your frustration with swollen ankles and feet! They hurt! I know just how you feel! Swollen feet stink! ( lol ). Glad you did not get alot of they weather, we got and ice storm and snow! Anyway my boys are having fun playing in the snow! I hope you get to the bottom of the swelling fast! in the mean time keep you feet up as much as possible and drink water. Hope you are enjoying your weekend. Take care of you.

Rose

Closed Thread